vibration removing rear drive shaft

Old October 11th 05, 03:02 AM

Default vibration removing rear drive shaft

I have a small vibration and want to try to solve the problem. It only
occurs from 90 to 100km then stops. There is a vibration in the gas
pedal and seat. I want to remove the rear drive shaft and take the
jeep out to see if this is the problem. Is it safe to drive with out
the rear drive shaft - put the jeep TJ 2002 in 4x4 and drive in front
wheel drive? I have SYE. If this does not do the trick then I will
try the front but this is a lot more work!

Old October 11th 05, 04:21 AM
Seppster

I had that problem on our XJ and turned out to be a bad tire. Belt was
busted. Had vibs up at 90KPH...was good just before and after. Its pretty
simple check...maybe you have a wheel out of balance. Knock off a weight???

oups.com...

Old October 11th 05, 04:44 AM
Carl

Depending how high you are, your front driveshaft my vibrate worse. The
front driveshaft should not rotate in 2wd.

Carl

oups.com...

Old October 11th 05, 02:56 PM
Mike Romain

I have driven home from a run at 55 mph and around for the week only on
the front driveshaft. Just remember not to goose it when the steering
is cranked over.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 11th 05, 02:57 PM
Mike Romain

He has a TJ, the front shaft turns all the time.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 11th 05, 04:51 PM
Carl

My mistake.. is this the same on YJ? I drove on my front shaft for a week
after I sprung-over. Terrible vibes above 40mph in 4HI (which was
front-drive). No vibes in 2HI (rear drive).

Carl

Old October 11th 05, 05:10 PM
Mike Romain

No, the YJ's have the vacuum disconnect so the driveshaft stays put when
in 2 WD. Same for the CJ's with their manual disconnects and at least
the first version of the 'new' XJ also have a vacuum disconnect.

Those vibes over 40 in 4 high are not normal. That implies a bad
u-joint either in the driveshaft or in the axle ends. You should be
smooth as silk all the way up to at least 70 mph in 4 high.

I use it in both my Jeeps at full highway speed in snow squalls. If I
am driving along at 65 mph and see snow on the road ahead, I just shift
into 4 high and keep on truckin'. See dry ahead and shift back to 2
HI. I always lock my CJ7 up before going on the highway in those kind
of conditions.

Mike

Old October 11th 05, 06:46 PM
Carl

It's got new u-joints. I think the angle of the driveline is too severe for
above 40mph... I have about 8" of lift on a stock front driveline. No t-case
drop.

Old October 12th 05, 12:56 AM
jaco

I had a small vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel on my 93 YJ -
replaced both U-joints on the rear axle (relatively inexpensive and easy)
found that just 1 bearing cap was bad,,,, vibration went away.

My recommendation is if you are going to drop the drive shaft, just replace
the u-joints (greasable) and let er rip!

oups.com...