please help-chevy expert

Old June 17th 05, 01:35 AM
malibu67

Default please help-chevy expert

does anyone know how to access the tail light compartment on a 1988 chevy
celebrity . i need to change the bulb. I can't figure out how to get in
the there to replace it. there is no access threw the trunk. help

Old June 17th 05, 01:54 AM
1937pontiac

I've got a really dumb question. Where does #1 plug wire go on a 1974 HEI
distributor? I think it's brain lock. Thank you

Old June 17th 05, 01:57 AM

It goes on the #1 cap terminal

Old June 17th 05, 02:27 AM
Nate Nagel

1937pontiac wrote:
> I've got a really dumb question. Where does #1 plug wire go on a 1974 HEI
> distributor? I think it's brain lock. Thank you

uhhh...

'74 HEI?

but seriously, it could go anywhere, if the distributor has ever been
out... wherever the rotor is pointing at TDC #1 compression stroke

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 17th 05, 03:23 AM
Kruse

Nate Nagel wrote:

> uhhh...
>
> '74 HEI?

Actually a few '74 model GM products DID have an HEI. I think certain
Cadillacs did and I believe a limited few other GM models. But
certainly not all GM products had HEI in '74.

Old June 17th 05, 05:08 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:

> > I've got a really dumb question. Where does #1 plug wire go on a 1974
> > HEI distributor? I think it's brain lock. Thank you

> uhhh...
> '74 HEI?

Not per se, no, but GM's first electronic ignition systems were optional
in '74. They were conceptually almost identical to HEI, but component form
factors (module, cap, rotor, coil) were different.

Old June 17th 05, 05:39 AM
Comboverfish

malibu67 wrote:
> does anyone know how to access the tail light compartment on a 1988 chevy
> celebrity . i need to change the bulb. I can't figure out how to get in
> the there to replace it. there is no access threw the trunk. help

You requested a "Chevy Expert" and noone chimed in with pertinent info.
I think you may need to rely on "guy who has seen a Chevy once or
twice" at this point.

I think that you need to remove the entire light housing and I believe
that it is one unit accross the entire rear on the Celebrity. This is
from very old recollection, but you are correct that there isn't easy
access to the bulbs like on normal, well built cars. Look for small
stamped steel nuts that thread onto body studs inside the trunk area
behind the light housing, and start removing them until the housing can
be pulled away from the body. Then the bulb sockets will be
accessible.

And for some unrelated chat, '74 was the first year for GM's HEI; it
was a highly touted option on some of their models. I think it was
used across the line by '75.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old June 17th 05, 12:35 PM
malibu67

Thank you for your response. That helps alot.

Old June 17th 05, 01:05 PM
ed

sheesh, can someone just answer the guys question on the bulb? now I'm
curious and I don't even own a Chevy at the moment.
lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 17th 05, 04:53 PM
ray

malibu67 wrote:
> does anyone know how to access the tail light compartment on a 1988 chevy
> celebrity . i need to change the bulb. I can't figure out how to get in
> the there to replace it. there is no access threw the trunk. help

You'll need to use a sawzall or holesaw to cut holes in the trunk to
get to the bulbs. GM designed them as "bulbs-for-life." I think they
make a template on the internet you can download to help line up the holes.

Ok, seriously, you probably have to take the whole damn taillight
assembly off if there's no access holes. My Fiero was like this. I
think my Trans Am is like that too. One of those 80's GM things they
liked to do I guess. Probably helps with noise and rust - less holes in
the metal = less paths for noise and water to get in the cockpit... but
ends up being a lot of work to change one bulb...

Ray

Cracked Dashboard on Late-model Chevy Cavalier Daniel J. Stern Driving 13 May 28th 05 04:24 AM
Cracked Dashboard on Late-model Chevy Cavalier [email protected] Technology 18 May 28th 05 04:24 AM
CHEVY CAVALIERS Honda Hater Technology 6 May 10th 05 03:43 AM
Father, forgive me for I bought a chevy; a testimonial and question jameson Honda 11 October 28th 04 05:31 AM
Buying 1955 Chevy 210 4-door, comments wanted Alex Antique cars 1 December 2nd 03 04:12 PM