89 suburban fuel problem

Old January 17th 05, 09:47 PM
Boxxer

Default 89 suburban fuel problem

I have an 89 suburb, 1500, 350 4x4

The other day i was at some podunk gas station fueling up, must i also
note it rained for 2 days in a row, and then that day dropped to about 10
degrees, and its still colder than hell.... Now comes the problem, about
1/4 mile away from the gas station, the thing started bogging down, not
running properly. Its been doing that for about 4 days, it kind of idle
surges if you will. It'll run normal, then bog down and shake, then normal
and repeat, while driving it does the same thing, bogs down and then will
run normal, usually resulting in spinning the tires loose and damn near
crashing into a tree. My first thought was water in the gas, seeing it
came from a questionable gas station, i had about 1/4 tank of the bad gas,
so i added a couple bottles of water remover and filled it to 1/2 with
premium. after 2 days like that the problem was still there, so i changed
out the plug wires, plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. and im still having
the problem. It was running perfect up untill that gas station. Further
note, tried to replace the fuel filter, however all the nuts are rusted
and locked, tried penetrating oil, not gonna work, so if the fuel filter
is the problem (which is may be) if anyone has any advice on how to cut
the lines and bypass the old one that would also be appreciated. I also
was wondering about the possibility of a fuel pump failure causing this? i
dont know a ton about the fuel pump setup, but im also thinking that could
be a possibility. Thanks for your time all, and im sure working on this
thing in snow 2 feet deep and temps in the negative digits will be the
time of my life....

Old January 17th 05, 09:55 PM
N8N

Boxxer wrote:
> I have an 89 suburb, 1500, 350 4x4
>
> The other day i was at some podunk gas station fueling up, must i

also
> note it rained for 2 days in a row, and then that day dropped to

about 10
> degrees, and its still colder than hell.... Now comes the problem,

about
> 1/4 mile away from the gas station, the thing started bogging down,

not
> running properly. Its been doing that for about 4 days, it kind of

idle
> surges if you will. It'll run normal, then bog down and shake, then

normal
> and repeat, while driving it does the same thing, bogs down and then

will
> run normal, usually resulting in spinning the tires loose and damn

near
> crashing into a tree. My first thought was water in the gas, seeing

it
> came from a questionable gas station, i had about 1/4 tank of the bad

gas,
> so i added a couple bottles of water remover and filled it to 1/2

with
> premium. after 2 days like that the problem was still there, so i

changed
> out the plug wires, plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. and im still

having
> the problem. It was running perfect up untill that gas station.

Further
> note, tried to replace the fuel filter, however all the nuts are

rusted
> and locked, tried penetrating oil, not gonna work, so if the fuel

filter
> is the problem (which is may be) if anyone has any advice on how to

cut
> the lines and bypass the old one that would also be appreciated. I

also
> was wondering about the possibility of a fuel pump failure causing

this? i
> dont know a ton about the fuel pump setup, but im also thinking that

could
> be a possibility. Thanks for your time all, and im sure working on

this
> thing in snow 2 feet deep and temps in the negative digits will be

the
> time of my life....

If the problem started immediately after filling up at the
"questionable" gas station I think your gut is probably right on this
one, something got into your gas, whether it be water or dirt. You've
ruled out water so... back to the fuel filter. When it starts to "bog
and shake" is it also difficult to accelerate, to the point where the
gas pedal seems to have little to no effect? That would certainly make
me think "clogged fuel filter." I had some similar problems in an old
Studebaker a while back, it turned out to be some unidentifiable
cloth-like debris in the fuel tank.

Have fun.

nate

Old January 18th 05, 02:34 AM
Boxxer

I think you may be right on the fuel filter, your symptoms sound about
right, it runs bogged down pretty much all the time, unless i stomp on the
gas and then it bogs down more for about 5 seconds, before it will run
right at full throttle, and it seems to only be runing properly at full
throttle

Fuel supply problem Major Tom Corvette 0 January 4th 05 03:31 AM
87 TBI Suburban bog / acceleration problem Michael Vosk 4x4 8 September 29th 04 04:55 AM