Why does my radio suck?

Old November 8th 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_3_]

Default Why does my radio suck?

Compared to the base factory radio and speakers in my 2006 PT Cruiser
Touring Edition, The base factory radio in my 2010 PT Cruiser Classic
sucks, even with replacement triaxial Pioneer speakers. The frequency
response and bass response is not there (compared to the 2006).

What changed between years?
Old November 8th 11, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Steve Stone wrote:

> The frequency response and bass response is not there

That's good.

There will be one less car somewhere to bother home-owners in the middle
of the night with juvenile thumping coming out of your car as you drive
by at 2 am.

Car audio is a complete waste of money, and at some point you'll grow
out of it.

Spend your money on a good home audio system instead.
Old November 9th 11, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_3_]

On 11/8/2011 8:14 AM, MoPar Man wrote:
> Steve Stone wrote:
>
>> The frequency response and bass response is not there

> That's good.
>
> There will be one less car somewhere to bother home-owners in the middle
> of the night with juvenile thumping coming out of your car as you drive
> by at 2 am.

I am in bed by midnight. Work begins in the early morning at o dark
hundred.

I am 50+ years old, not looking for thumper material, thanks,
just good all around freq response for listening to jazz, etc.

You miss the mark with your response.
The question is: Why did the base radio in a 2006 sound so much better
than the 2010?
Old November 10th 11, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DAS[_2_]

In the UK we have an occasional TV series called Grumpy Old Men. MoPar
would go down well there, not just because this post...

DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
---

Old November 12th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 22:35:12 -0500, Steve Stone >
wrote:

>Compared to the base factory radio and speakers in my 2006 PT Cruiser
>Touring Edition, The base factory radio in my 2010 PT Cruiser Classic
>sucks, even with replacement triaxial Pioneer speakers. The frequency
>response and bass response is not there (compared to the 2006).
>
>What changed between years?

I'm going to assume it's the same radio I have in my 2009 PT and mine,
with factory speakers, sounds great to me. My experience with
aftermarket speakers is that a lot of them really don't sound very
good. I bought some really highly rated Polk Speakers a few years ago
and they were so bad I took them back out and returned them. The only
brand I've had any luck with have been Pioneer and JVC. How does
yours sound with a CD? A lot of FM stations don't seem to broadcast a
very high quality sound.
Old November 12th 11, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_3_]

On 11/11/2011 8:27 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

>> What changed between years?

> I'm going to assume it's the same radio I have in my 2009 PT and mine,
> with factory speakers, sounds great to me. My experience with
> aftermarket speakers is that a lot of them really don't sound very
> good. I bought some really highly rated Polk Speakers a few years ago
> and they were so bad I took them back out and returned them. The only
> brand I've had any luck with have been Pioneer and JVC. How does
> yours sound with a CD? A lot of FM stations don't seem to broadcast a
> very high quality sound.

The 2006 Touring Edition I owned (until totaled, box truck slammed into
back of the PT while stopped at a traffic light, pushing the PT into
the dump truck in front of me, guy was too busy looking down text
messaging) had exceptional good audio reproduction qualities using the
base factory radio. Night and day difference between the audio of the
two same radios but different years, 2006 vs 2010. I'd only rate the
2010 factory audio response as "typical" of what you would expect of a
base factory radio. The Pioneer speakers were an improvement over the
factory speakers. I saw a write up that suggested parts suppliers for
the 2010 PT were getting the same cash from Chrysler they received in
2009, so the suppliers downgraded many of the parts to match the funds
received since their costs had increased.