A customer called today asking for Diesel Exhaust Fluid today

Old June 19th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Karen_A_Smith

Default A customer called today asking for Diesel Exhaust Fluid today

> m6onz5a wrote:
> I told him we keep it right next to the muffler bearings. He says

no
> it's a new product for diesls to keep N0x emissions down. Sure

enough
> it's for the newer diesels..

http://www.factsaboutscr.com/def/default.aspx

Hi, I work with Air1 (a Diesel Exhaust Fluid manufacturer) which
supplies DEF to the US. It's not just any urea but a high spec urea
solution which is used to reduce NOx emissions in high powered diesel
engines. If normal grade urea is used instead of DEF, the system will
suffer as its not pure enough. DEF can be bought in different pack
sizes from 1 gallon to bulk storage. When on the road, usually you
can fill up at DEF retail outlets, local fuel/lubricant distributor
as well as a local dealership.

We see that a lot of people have questions about DEF, and are helping
to answer them. If there are other DEF questions, or extra
information needed, I'm happy to answer any questions on this topic.

Old June 19th 11, 07:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/18/2011 08:14 PM, Karen_A_Smith wrote:

> > m6onz5a wrote:
> > I told him we keep it right next to the muffler bearings. He says

> no
> > it's a new product for diesls to keep N0x emissions down. Sure

> enough
> > it's for the newer diesels..

> http://www.factsaboutscr.com/def/default.aspx
>
> Hi, I work with Air1 (a Diesel Exhaust Fluid manufacturer) which
> supplies DEF to the US. It's not just any urea but a high spec urea
> solution which is used to reduce NOx emissions in high powered diesel
> engines. If normal grade urea is used instead of DEF, the system will
> suffer as its not pure enough. DEF can be bought in different pack
> sizes from 1 gallon to bulk storage. When on the road, usually you
> can fill up at DEF retail outlets, local fuel/lubricant distributor
> as well as a local dealership.
>
> We see that a lot of people have questions about DEF, and are helping
> to answer them. If there are other DEF questions, or extra
> information needed, I'm happy to answer any questions on this topic.

ok, here's a question: what exactly is "high spec urea solution".

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old July 1st 11, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Karen_A_Smith

> ok, here's a question: what exactly is "high spec urea

solution".

> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum

Good question! DEF is a high spec urea solution which means that it is
made from high purity urea and demineralised water. The specification
is defined in an internationally recognized ISO standard, which means
that there are strict limits for acceptable levels of potential
impurities, and accurate concentration of the DEF solution. If it’s
not within this specification, it is not DEF. The reason for it
being of a specific high standard is due to it being injected
through the SCR system. If low grade urea and tap water is used it
could cause SCR catalyst deactivation, and system breakdown.