ARGH: Lights are killing the engine/wont start now

Old September 30th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default ARGH: Lights are killing the engine/wont start now

1960 Sedan

1. Was running fine
2. Sat for about 1 month
3. Started it up - dusk - turned lights on and killed the engine
4. parked it back into garage
5. now it wont start

Battery is good - lights come on when testing

When trying to start up - starter turns - try several times - engine
never turns over. Red and green lights on when turning key to start
position.

Ground strap is frayed badly - dont know why I never really paid
attention to this point - probably cause it was running fine.

Questions:
1. Why would the engine die when lights came on?
2. What to do about the engine not turning - I know its basic but
cannot find my Muir book for the life of me.

thx

Old September 30th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Brian \Grimace\ H.

Default Lights are killing the engine/wont start now

it sounds like, you may have a hotwire to the coil that grounded out when
the lights got turned on...
thats just a wild guess though
check the coil, see if yer getting voltage to the + side
then also make sure your gettign spark to the plugs.

also a very silly question but a possibility, something that isnt unlike
what would happen to me
make sure you have fuel in the tank, maybe purely by coincidnce that you
ran out of gas right as you turned on your lights

--
~Brian 69' Fat Cali Girl
workin on a new motor
oups.com...

Old September 30th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

wrote:

> 1960 Sedan
>
> 1. Was running fine
> 2. Sat for about 1 month
> 3. Started it up - dusk - turned lights on and killed the engine
> 4. parked it back into garage
> 5. now it wont start
>
> Battery is good - lights come on when testing
>
> When trying to start up - starter turns - try several times - engine
> never turns over. Red and green lights on when turning key to start
> position.
>
> Ground strap is frayed badly - dont know why I never really paid
> attention to this point - probably cause it was running fine.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Why would the engine die when lights came on?
> 2. What to do about the engine not turning - I know its basic but
> cannot find my Muir book for the life of me.
>
> thx

You said: "...starter turns - ... - engine never turns over. "

Do you mean that the starter actually *does* crank the engine
(the engine pulley spins) BUT the engine does not fire up ??

I'm not being picky; sometimes it pays to set the definitions
before we waste a lot of time.

You said: "Why would the engine die when lights came on?"
On a '60, ALL the power to up front goes thru the Headlight
switch terminals. If they are loose/overheated/corroded,
this can happen.

The frayed ground strap *could* be behind all these problems.

Post back after you have changed the strap and with as much
detailed info as possible.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/1
Old October 1st 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Brian \Grimace\ H.

listen to Jim, he's smart!

--
~Brian 69' Fat Cali Girl
workin on a new motor
Jus cos' she's fat don't mean she ain't fun!

m...

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/1

Old October 1st 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Courtney[_1_]

Heheheheehhhhhh, took apart my fuel system on my 90 Mazda MPV one time
because the wife said it wouldn't run right. After taking out the fuel
pump/filter assembly from the gas tank (which required removing
interior seats, carpet etc), I looked down into the access hole and
found the tank to be bone dry. (Note to self - NEVER take wife's word
that there is gas in van). DOH!!!!

Old October 1st 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Jim said:

Do you mean that the starter actually *does* crank the engine
> (the engine pulley spins) BUT the engine does not fire up ??
>
> I'm not being picky; sometimes it pays to set the definitions
> before we waste a lot of time.

Exactly and I totally agree - sorry I wasn't more detailed. The starter
motor goes but the engine just wont fire - I did this about 15 times
then decided I didnt want to ruin the starter etc so I stopped trying
it.

Thanks for your help in Advance.

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/1

Old October 3rd 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Nellis

I have had a similar problem with my 74 Super. Found that a ground wire was
loose from the Ignition switch to the fuse box. The start turns, but that's
it.

Here were the tell-tale signs for me:
1. When I turn the key to 'run', not 'start', the head lights would come
on, but the radio would not work
2. I believe that the 'generator' and 'oil pressure' lights would also not
light up
3. To start the car, I would turn the key to 'start', and then have to move
some of the wires around the ignition switch and the ground wire would
eventually make contact. (To tell when I had touched the right wire, I
would leave the key in 'run', turn the radio on, and the start moving wires.

I eventually took the fuse box off and made a visual inspection and found
the loose wire, attached the connector, problem solved.

At least that was my experience.

- Nellis

om...

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/1