My alternator problems are driving me crazy! Please some help here.

Old August 11th 04, 12:44 PM
Raven

Default My alternator problems are driving me crazy! Please some help here.

Last January I had the alternator in my 97 SC-2 changed. The reason
for the change was that the ABS light kept coming on. I was advised
from this group that the reason for this light coming on was that the
alternator was going bad and not putting out enough power for the ABS
system.
So even though the alternator tested ok, I had the alternator changed.
Things have been going ok for a few months but then, about a month
ago, the ABS light started coming on, usually but not always when the
a/c was engaged. Also I noticed that the Dash lights were flickering
slightly.

So back to machanic I went. Of course the alternator tested ok, but
since the alternator was still under warrenty(one year for a factory
rebuilt) my guy put a new alternator in yesterday.

Driving on the highway last night with headlights and a/c going the
alt light flickered momentarily and then the ABS light came on. This
was unusual because the
ABS light almost always came on right after the ABS system tested
itself at 8mph, usually with the a/c running.

In anycase, I've got this new alternator in. It couldn't have gone bad
so fast, could it? Is there anything that we are overlooking that
could cause the alternator to under power the car. Should my guy be
checking for bad wiring or something like that?

This makes it the car's forth alternator. The original one was
changed in Oct. 03. Then in Jan 04 after the ABS light started coming
on. And now yesterday.
This is not normal. The Battery is about 3 months old. What gives?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old August 11th 04, 02:10 PM
jdoe

It sounds more like you're chasing a bad ground somewhere. This is the
problem with just "shotgunning" instead of doing real troubleshooting. If
you're not sure how to track this down get it to a qualified tech. Throwing
alternators at this will not fix it.
Larry
om...

Old August 11th 04, 02:58 PM
Patrick Usenet Cannon

In article >,
(Raven) wrote:

> Last January I had the alternator in my 97 SC-2 changed. The reason
> for the change was that the ABS light kept coming on. I was advised
> from this group that the reason for this light coming on was that the
> alternator was going bad and not putting out enough power for the ABS
> system.
> So even though the alternator tested ok, I had the alternator changed.
> Things have been going ok for a few months but then, about a month
> ago, the ABS light started coming on, usually but not always when the
> a/c was engaged. Also I noticed that the Dash lights were flickering
> slightly.
>
> So back to machanic I went. Of course the alternator tested ok, but
> since the alternator was still under warrenty(one year for a factory
> rebuilt) my guy put a new alternator in yesterday.
>
> Driving on the highway last night with headlights and a/c going the
> alt light flickered momentarily and then the ABS light came on. This
> was unusual because the
> ABS light almost always came on right after the ABS system tested
> itself at 8mph, usually with the a/c running.
>
> In anycase, I've got this new alternator in. It couldn't have gone bad
> so fast, could it? Is there anything that we are overlooking that
> could cause the alternator to under power the car. Should my guy be
> checking for bad wiring or something like that?
>
> This makes it the car's forth alternator. The original one was
> changed in Oct. 03. Then in Jan 04 after the ABS light started coming
> on. And now yesterday.
> This is not normal. The Battery is about 3 months old. What gives?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

I went through three alternators (over several years, though) and
eventually found that the power steering pump was leaking fluid onto the
alternator.

PC
Old August 11th 04, 04:23 PM
Blah Blah

I say it could be the ground as well. Could also be a bad battery, swap
it with one in a nother car. While your at it check for corrosion on the
connectors. Make sure everythings making good contact.

In article <UUoSc.286314$Oq2.258315@attbi_s52>, says...

Old August 21st 04, 03:02 AM
Raven

I just want to take the time to thank everyone who replied to my post.
At your suggestions my mechanic checked every electrical connection
and although he couldn't visibly spot a loose ground wire, the action
of removing each connection and putting it back has solved this
problem. The lights no longer flicker and I can run all the
accesories (a/c, defroster, wipers, headlights, etc) without the ABS
system shutting down.
My guy spoke to mechanics who do a lot of work on Saturns, and this
loose ground is a common problem on Saturns. In any case, my car is
running better than it has in over a year.

Thanks

Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 January 1st 05 12:33 AM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 06:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM