Brake rotors already grooving

Old January 12th 05, 07:35 PM

Default Brake rotors already grooving

Less than one month ago, I replaced pads and rotors on all
four wheels. I've noticed that the front rotors already have
lots of grooves. I was careful not letting the new pads get
dirt or grit on them when installing, and everything was nice
and clean, as far as I can tell.

These grooves are not deep or wide, but I would have thought those
rotors would still be pretty damn smooth at this point.
The brakes work nicely and quietly, but was just wondering if
this was normal as it's been a long time since I've put new
rotors on a car. THANKS.

--
Cliff

Old January 12th 05, 09:18 PM
BBA

> Less than one month ago, I replaced pads and rotors on all
> four wheels. I've noticed that the front rotors already have
> lots of grooves. I was careful not letting the new pads get

Grooves would normally be an indication of some sort foreign contact

Possibly rivets - or possibly what your seeing is just normal wear and tear.

> dirt or grit on them when installing, and everything was nice
> and clean, as far as I can tell.

Did you happen to have the rotors cut or resurfaced? i.e. happens to be a
requirement when replacing a rotor!

> These grooves are not deep or wide, but I would have thought those
> rotors would still be pretty damn smooth at this point.

How do you know? Are you using a micrometer?

BBA

Old January 12th 05, 10:51 PM
John Ings

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:18:28 -0800, "BBA"
> wrote:

>Did you happen to have the rotors cut or resurfaced? i.e. happens to be a
>requirement when replacing a rotor!

Foo!

Where did you get that nonsense!

Old January 12th 05, 10:53 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:51:51 -0800, John Ings >
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:18:28 -0800, "BBA"
> wrote:
>
>>Did you happen to have the rotors cut or resurfaced? i.e. happens to be a
>>requirement when replacing a rotor!

>Foo!
>
>Where did you get that nonsense!

The same place he gets all his other nonsense. bob's garage.

Old January 12th 05, 11:31 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:39:43 -0800, "BBA"
> wrote:

>> The same place he gets all his other nonsense. bob's garage.

>what am I missing? what is that supposed to mean?
>
>BBA

I have been under the impression that you can just put new rotors on
your vehicle without doing anything to them first?

You are saying they need to be resurfaced first? Please explain,
which is it.

Lg

Old January 12th 05, 11:37 PM
BBA

> >Did you happen to have the rotors cut or resurfaced? i.e. happens to be a
> >requirement when replacing a rotor!

> Foo!

same to you pal!

> Where did you get that nonsense!

I don't know what where you come from! Here in the US most NITB rotors will
require a base cut before installation

bba

Old January 12th 05, 11:39 PM
BBA

Old January 12th 05, 11:40 PM

TeGGer=AE wrote:

> How deep are these "grooves"?
>
> If they're less than 1/16", then it's just normal wear.

I know that's the standard wisdom...

And they're not nearly that deep, but there's a lot of them.
As I said, I was just a little surprised that the rotors
would look like this so soon. The rotors on my other
car--with over 150K miles on them--are not nearly as grooved.
(Actually, it's the right front rotor that looks the worst.)
--
Cliff

Old January 13th 05, 12:22 AM
John Ings

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:37:12 -0800, "BBA"
> wrote:

>> >Did you happen to have the rotors cut or resurfaced? i.e. happens to be a
>> >requirement when replacing a rotor!

>> Foo!

>same to you pal!
>
>> Where did you get that nonsense!

>I don't know what where you come from! Here in the US most NITB rotors will
>require a base cut before installation

To the dertiment of the customer's wallet and the benefit of the
mechanic's bottom line!