Issue with a 97 Saturn SL1

Old July 13th 04, 10:05 PM
CuriousOnly

Default Issue with a 97 Saturn SL1

I am having an issue with the switch located underneath the clutch pedal in
my Saturn. Or at least I think it's the switch.

Here's the issue: Sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens, as if the
clutch pedal isn't being pressed. If I work it enough times (sometimes
enough is once or twice, sometimes enough is 30 or 40) the engine will
finally start.

Here's what's been checked: It has been confirmed that the battery (which
is now fairly new), the alternator, pretty much the entire charging and
electrical systems are fine. Everything is good there. Mechanic even
suggested that the floor mat was the problem, as it was sliding up
underneath the pedal. Okay, fine, except that since that day I check the
floor mat everytime I get in the car.

MY theory, is that the little black switch located underneath the clutch
pedal is faulty. For those that are wondering, this is the switch that
prevents you from starting the car while it's in gear, so it doesn't jump.
Are these expensive to replace? Do I have to go to the dealer? I can see
that it doesn't look difficult to actually replace it, but has anyone else
had experience with this?

Thanks for any information

Old July 14th 04, 12:58 AM
richard hornsby

The easy way to check this is to unplug the switch and use something to
complete the circuit that the switch would have been plugged into. You
could also remove the switch and use a multimeter to test the switch's
continuity as you work the mechanism.

It is also possible that the switch is fine, but the connector has come
loose over time. If needed, the switch should be relatively inexpensive
at your local auto parts store.

If the starter has never been replaced, it is around that time in the
vehicle's life when it may be a culprit.

-rj
98SL2

Old July 14th 04, 02:47 PM
Jerry

Why don't you just jump that switch temporary?

Old July 14th 04, 03:19 PM
uknewwho

take the clutch start switch connector, and use a jumper wire to bypass the
switch. use a 4 wire-gauge jumper, inset one end into each of the pins in
the connector, if the engine starts, the swtich is faulty, if not, your
problem is some where else.
Side note, this is what has to be disabled to install a remote start.
however, and i'm not sure about this with saturns, if you disable this, your
cruse control will not work, nor will any shift light, because the ecu
thinks the clutch is in all the time.

Old July 14th 04, 05:53 PM
CuriousOnly

<snip>

If the starter has never been replaced, it is around that time in the
> vehicle's life when it may be a culprit.

actually, the starter was also tested, and it appears to be fine...but
thanks for the suggestions..

Old July 14th 04, 05:55 PM
CuriousOnly

"uknewwho" > wrote in message
> take the clutch start switch connector, and use a jumper wire to bypass

the
> switch. use a 4 wire-gauge jumper, inset one end into each of the pins in
> the connector, if the engine starts, the swtich is faulty, if not, your
> problem is some where else.

I will try this little test....thanks for the info

> Side note, this is what has to be disabled to install a remote start.
> however, and i'm not sure about this with saturns, if you disable this,

your
> cruse control will not work, nor will any shift light, because the ecu
> thinks the clutch is in all the time.

Yeah, right....like my car is cool enough to have cruise control....HA!! I
wish!!!

I wouldn't mind seeing that little shift light disappear though...man,
that's annoying.

Old July 14th 04, 08:23 PM
Jerry

If this is correct, then it may help to disable the shift-up light
(some folks just hate that light).

Old July 14th 04, 08:27 PM
Dan Duncan

uknewwho > wrote:
> however, and i'm not sure about this with saturns, if you disable this, your
> cruse control will not work, nor will any shift light, because the ecu
> thinks the clutch is in all the time.

I don't have cruise control, but can anyone else confirm the
behavior with the shift light on Saturns? My switch works fine, but it's
worth bypassing if that shift light goes away and there are valid
reasons for wanting to crank the starter with the car in gear. I
don't think I've ever forgotten to push in the clutch when starting,
but there have been times I would like to start the car in neutral,
like when I'm working on it and would like to start it by reaching
through the window and turning the key.

-DanD

--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) http://pcisys.net/~dand
# One of life's joys was to have friends who gave you reality checks...who would