For the moderator

Old June 27th 04, 07:09 PM
Alfistagj

Default For the moderator

Hi moderator (still Catman??)

See a lot of spam lately in alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Time for a spam-filter or an alt.autos.alfa-romeo.new??

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old June 27th 04, 08:32 PM
Catman

Alfistagj wrote:

> Hi moderator (still Catman??)

Well, technically there can be no moderator, since this is an alt. group.

I am just the guy who created the group. I have no real power or control
other than that allowed me by the posters here, and the FAQ that we created

Fully moderated groups are much harder to create, and need a large amount
of input from the moderator all the time.

> See a lot of spam lately in alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Hmm. I've seen some, but not enough (IMHO) to create an un-workable signal
to noise ratio.

> Time for a spam-filter or an alt.autos.alfa-romeo.new??

Well, the spam filter is a no-no unless someone wants to create
rec.autos.alfa-romeo.moderated. Not going to be me, I'm afraid, I barely
have time to drive, let alone post

The new group is an option.
Also an option is more and more determined prosecution of spammers. This
*may* have a positive effect, but there are so many 'zombie' PCs on the net
now that prosecution will impact most on those users too stupid to protect
their PCs. This may not be a bad thing though

As is my way, I cast the topic open to all posters and interested parties
in a.a.a-r

Your views, people?

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 27th 04, 09:17 PM
Arjan Renting

On 27-6-2004 21:32, Catman wrote:
<snip>
> Hmm. I've seen some, but not enough (IMHO) to create an un-workable signal
> to noise ratio.

<snip>

Yep, there has been some spam but I think also this has been minor yet.
More disasters then spam can be flamewares. Some newsgroups have become
completely useless because of flamewars mostly by only one or a very few
persons. rec.skiing.alpine is a sad example of that (flamewars for years
already! and still going on). Most of the postings haven't got anything
to do with skiing but. I think there has been attempts to start-up a
moderated group but I don't know if that has worked out yet. a.a.a-r is
IMO a decent and workable group. Knock on wood!

Arjan
Old June 27th 04, 09:23 PM
Pete

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:32:06 GMT, Catman >,
wrote:

>> See a lot of spam lately in alt.autos.alfa-romeo

>Hmm. I've seen some, but not enough (IMHO) to create an un-workable signal
>to noise ratio.
>
>Your views, people?

IMHO all I have seen other than normal posting is "porn posts"
that were sent right across UseNet from alt. to uk. groups.
Whilst they are a pain, they are easy to spot and dump and
hopefully will be short lived.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old June 27th 04, 09:48 PM
Catman

Arjan Renting wrote:

> On 27-6-2004 21:32, Catman wrote:
> <snip>
>> Hmm. I've seen some, but not enough (IMHO) to create an un-workable
>> signal to noise ratio.

> <snip>
>
> Yep, there has been some spam but I think also this has been minor yet.
> More disasters then spam can be flamewares.

Yes. that was a real PITA

Old June 28th 04, 08:47 AM
Neuropean

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:09:45 +0200, "Alfistagj"
> wrote:

=>Hi moderator (still Catman??)
=>
=>See a lot of spam lately in alt.autos.alfa-romeo
=>Time for a spam-filter or an alt.autos.alfa-romeo.new??

Agreed,
there's a surge in useless messages about some italian car brand among
my usual porn and flamewars...
;-P

But seriously folks, I can"t complain, I guess the news provider does
a good job...
Ciao

Neuropean
Old June 28th 04, 05:29 PM
Zathras

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:32:06 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

<snip>
>As is my way, I cast the topic open to all posters and interested parties
>in a.a.a-r
>
>Your views, people?

No change needed from my POV..I don't see much spam here anyway (ISP
filters probably). The stuff that does get through is either hilarious
(Virgin Cars) or ignored.... The spam here is no way near as
irritating as Email spam IMHO.

Would be *nice* if the good folks didn't respond to *obvious* spam as
this does force it through my ISP's filters! :-(

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old June 29th 04, 10:08 PM
Alfistagj

Well, I must admit that my ISP ("chello", a UPC company) is quite lazy in
respect to filtering e-mail spam as well.
My own filters pick out approx 150 (!!) mails a day and junk here as well.
Indeed, the NG is less "infected" than the e-mail.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
Alfa red 156 SW 1.8 Madeno tuned (2000)
Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

"Neuropean" > schreef in bericht

Old July 4th 04, 03:16 PM
Dr Entropy

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:29:30 +0100, Zathras blathered thus:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:32:06 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>As is my way, I cast the topic open to all posters and interested parties
>>in a.a.a-r
>>
>>Your views, people?

> No change needed from my POV..I don't see much spam here anyway (ISP
> filters probably). The stuff that does get through is either hilarious
> (Virgin Cars) or ignored.... The spam here is no way near as
> irritating as Email spam IMHO.
>
> Would be *nice* if the good folks didn't respond to *obvious* spam as
> this does force it through my ISP's filters! :-(

One of the few froups to be largely left alone IMHO. The junk is tolerable
so far, and it's not been trashed by trollish fools...

unlike others I could mention ;-}

--
Dr E--
mhm 17x1

"If you can't *handcraft* Usenet chaos, then what is there left?"
-- The 2-Belo

"i'm still not sure exactly what a "flonk" is, but i know it pertains to
children's tv programming..."
-- Tampa Stu