Knurling a piston ???????

Old November 26th 04, 05:02 PM
John M. Wright

Default Knurling a piston ???????

I just took my 300 block in to be tanked and bored. The guy at the machine
shop says that the block isnt worn enough to need boring. Just a hone and
piston knurling should be good enough. I've seen knurled valve guides, but
a knurled piston ?OK, thats a new one on me. Is this a good thing or should
I insist on reboring and not play with pistons with over 100,000 miles on
them ?? Thoughts ?? Thanks for your time

John

Old November 26th 04, 05:21 PM
Toy

"John M. Wright" > wrote in message
>I just took my 300 block in to be tanked and bored. The guy at the machine
> shop says that the block isnt worn enough to need boring. Just a hone and
> piston knurling should be good enough. I've seen knurled valve guides,
> but
> a knurled piston ?OK, thats a new one on me. Is this a good thing or
> should
> I insist on reboring and not play with pistons with over 100,000 miles on
> them ?? Thoughts ?? Thanks for your time
>
> John

Google reveals all you need to know

toy

Old November 26th 04, 08:56 PM
Steve W.

OLD time way to resize the piston so it fits better. I would just bore
it and use new pistons, rings.
Much better and will last much longer than knurling.

--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY

Old November 27th 04, 02:28 PM
Peter D. Hipson

Yes: you can knurl a piston.
No: it is not usually done, but sometimes it helps. However, for an
engine that is expected to have a long life, knurling the pistion is
not the best idea.
No: if it is not worn, do not rebore the block!
Yes: do hone the cylinders (you can do this yourself if you want)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:02:30 -0800, "John M. Wright"