Tapping noise from valve cover

Old August 16th 04, 01:09 AM
Empty3

Default Tapping noise from valve cover

Okay,

Routine maintenance (tranny, oil, grease etc.) and I just notice a tapping
noise from passenger side (under valve cover) on my 90' Coupe (L98 engine).
What the worse it could be and, optimistically, what could it be?

Empty3

Old August 16th 04, 07:43 AM
Charlie

Most likely it is one of the push rods for the valve lifters. What usually happens is that an end will get flattened or the rod will get bent causing slack in the stroke. That's the tapping noise. The rods are cheap, just figure out which one it is and replace it. You don't have to replace them all. Chevy's have done this for years. The only other part you will need is a new valve cover gasket. I keep a few of them around in my tool box. The only difficulty is getting to the valve cover, the rest is simple.

--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible
"Empty3" > wrote in message ...
Okay,

Routine maintenance (tranny, oil, grease etc.) and I just notice a tapping
noise from passenger side (under valve cover) on my 90' Coupe (L98 engine).
What the worse it could be and, optimistically, what could it be?

Empty3

---
Old August 16th 04, 03:24 PM
Empty3

Charlie,

Thanks, I suspected something with the lifters and anticipated worse things.

Old August 16th 04, 03:52 PM
Dad

> "Empty3" > wrote in message

>Charlie,

>Thanks, I suspected something with the lifters and anticipated worse

things.

>Empty3

Don't overlook the injectors.

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 17th 04, 01:03 AM
Charlie

Where in Houston are you? I'm up off FM 1960 &SH 249.

--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

Old August 17th 04, 04:32 AM
Marty

>"Empty3" > wrote in message
>Charlie,

>Thanks, I suspected something with the lifters and >anticipated worse

things.

>Empty3

It could still be.
Use a stethascope to assure it is coming from the valve cover and not an
exhaust leak,it can sound very much like a bad lifter.
If it is inside the valve cover, remove it and fire it up. Isolate which
valve it is using the scope, then determine if it is the pushrod &
rocker,the lifter or a flattened cam lobe. The rocker stud or nut may be the
culprit also.
A damaged pushrod/rocker and valve stem may only be a symptom.

Marty
84 L83
63 194 Tempest Conv.

Old August 17th 04, 04:51 AM
Charlie

Your 63 Tempest. Transaxle? I had one years ago, it had the 326 V8 in it. Fun car. Shifter was a lever on the dash.

--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

Old August 17th 04, 05:26 AM
Marty

Yup,has the transaxle. Very difficult to get parts for the car.
Mine has the slant 4 banger. Not a comfy driver but it looks great and turns heads on cruise nites ;-)
It would drive great if I could just get the time to overhaul the suspension/steering...sigh....perpetually poor & out of time ;-(

Marty
84 L83
63 194 Tempest Conv.

Old August 17th 04, 05:29 AM
warthog

"Empty3" > wrote in message
> Okay,
>
> Routine maintenance (tranny, oil, grease etc.) and I just notice a tapping
> noise from passenger side (under valve cover) on my 90' Coupe (L98

engine).
> What the worse it could be and, optimistically, what could it be?
>
> Empty3
>

> There are several things it could be if it isn't a noisy exhaust port.

The most common one is a bent pushrod. I had a tappet break once and it will
cause the noise.
A collapsed lifter will do it as will a flattened camshaft lobe.Very
rarely will a stud pull loose unless you're racing . I just bought a super
nice 67 chevy c-10 pickup with the very same problem and it turned out to be
a flattened cam lobe. I hope you aren't as unlucky. Let us know what you
find out.

Warthog---------------JP- 8 lights my fire.
74 C3 convertible
67 chevy c-10
65 Harley Sportster

Old August 17th 04, 01:57 PM
Marty

The 62' & 63' Tempest/LeMans were creatures of their own. They were the product of John Delorean who was forced by Pontiac to produce a muscle car. The ropeshaft/transaxle wasn't up to the HP so it was abandoned for the 64' GTO.

Delorean later moved to Chevrolet, I wonder where Chevy got the idea for the C6 driveline..;~)

Marty
84 L83
63 194 Tempest Conv.

"Charlie" > wrote in message ...
I sure wish I would have kept that car. Actually, I wish I would have kept quite a few of my old cars. Mine was two tone green, but it wasn't a convertible. For parts, doesn't the Buick use most the same parts except for the transaxle?

--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible
"Marty" > wrote in message ...
Yup,has the transaxle. Very difficult to get parts for the car.
Mine has the slant 4 banger. Not a comfy driver but it looks great and turns heads on cruise nites ;-)
It would drive great if I could just get the time to overhaul the suspension/steering...sigh....perpetually poor & out of time ;-(

Marty
84 L83
63 194 Tempest Conv.

Engine noise after belt replacements Remy Audi 3 April 14th 09 10:13 PM
Alcantara sttering wheel cover on 330i - replacement? GRL BMW 2 May 22nd 06 12:40 AM
E30 whining noise (back end) Pedro BMW 3 November 20th 04 07:54 AM
E39 whistiling noise - from intake? dave BMW 3 November 4th 04 02:14 PM
87 735i faulty heater valve John Seager BMW 4 September 21st 04 05:37 PM