Notchy Shifts

Old March 7th 05, 05:03 AM
joe

Default Notchy Shifts

My 95 Miata seems to not be shifting as smoothly as it once did..Kinda'
notchy, esp from 1-2 and 2-3..The higher gears are smooth...Really bad when
it's cold.

Is this something I can adjust or should I let a pro do it?

Old March 7th 05, 10:18 PM
Mike

Changing your own fluids and boots are something the average person should
be able to do, and give you a warm and fuzzy feeling at the same time.

Change out the transmission and turret fluid with Redline MT-90 oil, or MTL
if you drive in a real cold climate. You will also find that the 2 inner
shifter boots on your shifter are going to be shot. The pair are called -
Inner Boot Kit 94-03 and run $45.52 from
http://www.trussvillemazda.com/partsstore/index.cfm. You can call Trussville
Mazda and talk to Marshall @ 1-800-633-8285. He is the goto parts guru
there. If you don't have a Redline oil distributor in your area, you can buy
a couple of quarts from Trussville at the same time. Changing your own
fluids are not hard at all with a good jack and some good jack stands, or a
set of ramps. A couple of good write ups can be found in the garage section
at http://www.miata.net Here is a good article on how to change your shift
boots. http://www.miata.net/garage/shiftboot.html and here is an even better
one with step by step pictures
http://www.miata.net/garage/trans/everything.html

You can find about all you will ever need to know in the Miata.net forums.
http://www.miataforum.com Disclaimer: No affiliation to Trussville Mazda,
just a happy customer that buys a bunch of stuff from them at one time to
save postage.

"joe" > wrote in message
> My 95 Miata seems to not be shifting as smoothly as it once did..Kinda'
> notchy, esp from 1-2 and 2-3..The higher gears are smooth...Really bad
> when
> it's cold.
>
> Is this something I can adjust or should I let a pro do it?

1991 Accord auto transmission - shifts in/out of 'sport' mode by itself johnemac Honda 11 November 24th 04 12:37 AM
94 Wrangler hard shifts.... none 4x4 0 August 24th 04 02:49 PM
Transmission Shifts Hard - Valve Body? Gary Compton Saturn 8 August 21st 04 07:04 PM