cj7 power steering pump

Old August 4th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
wlawyer

Default cj7 power steering pump

Will a power steering setup from a 79 cj7 with a 304 fit a 83 cj7 with
a 258?

Old August 6th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J White

What do you mean by a power steering set-up? The steering gear box is the
same but don't forget the coupling between the column and the steering gear.
The gear box input shafts sizes are different between power and manual. The
'79 pump will work with six-cylinder brackets, if you can find them,
although you may have to resize a couple of holes. The v-8 uses different
brackets. Hose-ends and seats were changed between '81 and '82 from inverted
or upset flare to o-ring seals so you really don't want to mix old and new.

It's not a direct swap, if that is what you are trying to find out, but
it is workable. It would be way easier to find a complete set-up from a six
cylinder. It depends on your abilities.

ups.com...

Old August 7th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
wlawyer

Thanks for the reply. By setup I was mainly concerned about the
brackets on the v8 pump fitting the v6 engine and you answered that I
believe. Right now I have an 83 cj7 with manual steering and I think I
have had enough of the daily workout driving that thing. My steering
setup is pretty much factory manual. Do you know what parts I need to
start gathering to convert me 83 to power steering? From what I can
tell I need a steering box, a pump, a new input shaft, and the
miscellaneous hoses and bolts right? Thanks for any help you can
provide.

Old August 8th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J White

The brackets on the engines are different. The brackets on the frame are
the same for both manual and power.
http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jee...J_steering.php
You don't need a new input shaft. You need the pot joint(or coupling joint)
at the end of the steering shaft. The aluminum colored thing with the rubber
boot. The splined input shafts on the two different steering gear boxes are
different sizes. A parts yard should be able to get you the complete set-up.
That would be the easiest route, by far.
Do you have the v-8 parts already or can you get them cheap? It could be
as simple as getting the brackets off any AMC I-6, swapping them to that
pump and obtaining both hoses for a '79 CJ.
Be warned, after you finish this swap you will probably want to add
power brakes too.

ups.com...

Old August 10th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
wlawyer

Thanks for all the replies. I have not purchased anything yet so this
will be pretty helpfull. Glad I can now start collecting everything so
I can give these tired arms a rest.

Thanks again.