Miata Title

Old March 10th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Miata Title

Does anyone know the legality of selling a title for a wrecked 1990 Miata
(the car has been sold in pieces)? I also have the number plate from the
dash.

Is there a market for this?

You'll have to reply to the group until I find out more about this....

Old March 10th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

My gut tells me this would be illegal, what purpose other than deception
could this possibly be done for. If that's the case then it would be a moral
/ judgment call on your part right? I don't doubt there's a market out
there.

Chris
99BBB

Old March 10th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

D wrote:
> Does anyone know the legality of selling a title for a wrecked 1990 Miata
> (the car has been sold in pieces)? I also have the number plate from the
> dash.
>
> Is there a market for this?
>
> You'll have to reply to the group until I find out more about this....

Do you mean that you have nothing left of the car at all except for the
number plate and title?

I have a 1990 miata that has literally nothing attached except a gas
tank and a smashed front subframe, but there is no value to any of this
except for the metal weight.
I have the title and it is soon to be hauled to a wrecking yard where
they will either take it for free or possibly pay a tiny amount for the
metal.

If there is nothing left of the car, then the title has no value,
monetary or otherwise, unless someone just wants it for some reason.

If I did not have this wrecked car at all, I would just file the title
away or toss it. The laws on taking the car out of the system and havng
it listed as destroyed vary from state to state, (United States), and
can depend on whether you are a dealer that does this regularly, but
nobody is likely to question the fate of a single 16 year old miata that
has been completely parted away.

Now if it was a 2005 BMW M5, that might be a different story. ;-)

Pat
Old March 10th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> My gut tells me this would be illegal, what purpose other than deception
> could this possibly be done for. If that's the case then it would be a moral
> / judgment call on your part right? I don't doubt there's a market out
> there.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

I am not being cynical enough, must have missed the legality part. I
have no idea what the laws are on selling them, but using them on
another car is obviously gonna be bad news if there was ever any suspicion.
The miata has the VIN in a lot of different places, it wouldn't be too
hard to figure out what was going on once someone started looking.

I wouldn't try it, legal or not.

Pat
Old March 11th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In my state, a car of this age doesn't even need a title, just a
registration and a bill of sale if you are selling it to someone. Depending
upon the state, the title may follow such things as the engine, or other
major part of the car, such as the body. In a previous state, some years
ago, we rebuilt a (now ancient) ford truck. There were major parts from four
different trucks and an engine from a rebuilder. The state issued a new VIN
number for the whole thing.
news

Old March 11th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

That only works for aircraft ! You can "reconstruct" an aircraft from
just a "Name Plate" That plate has a S/N on it and you can buy, sell or
rebuild from just having that plate.

If you do it with a car, you will go to jail !!!!! That is why the VIN
is used nation wide ( in the US ) to show work done or service done on
that car. Just think of what effect your deal would have on " Car Facts"
in tracking a car with one VIN and a body of another. :-) What do you
think VIN stands for ? ? ?, It ID's THAT CAR and that car only.

Bruce RED '91

Find your local " Chop Shop" they might be looking for a new VIN they
could put on a stolen car !!!

Old March 12th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

That's why the state issued a NEW VIN Number.

Carfax worth it? Chad Fraker Jeep 34 December 20th 05 03:50 AM
One year later - Corvette vs. Miata tom4416 Mazda 15 December 9th 05 10:46 PM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM
Corvette vs Miata - long Tom Howlin Mazda 23 February 28th 05 11:28 PM
Looking to buy 1991 1.8 liter turbo miata pws Mazda 3 November 23rd 04 05:37 AM