2004 Mustang Convertible: Rust on pedal levers.

Old March 6th 05, 02:30 AM
Dinsdale

Default 2004 Mustang Convertible: Rust on pedal levers.

On 6 Mar 2005 01:19:54 -0000, Max > wrote:

>My GF just recently trader her 99 Mustang coupe for a 04 Mustang
>convertible with low mileage. I lost something in her car the other day
>and I while I was looking around for it, I noticed some rust spots on her
>pedal levers. As a reality check, I examined the pedal levers on my 94
>Escort. Not a speck of rust. My question: Is the rust any cause for
>concern and what could be causing it?
>
>Thanks!

Flood damage is the first thing I'd suspect when there's rust in
places where there usually isn't ...you should look for rust in other
normally non-rusting areas like the metal dash parts and seat
mechanisms.

(More things to look for:
http://www.betterbusinessbureau.net/disaster/auto.asp)

If it just looks like surface rust, there's not much cause for concern
structurally (it could have been a bad day for the robot that coated
it at the factory).
However, if there is rust in other places, there could be some
corrosion in the electricals...which is cause for concern.

Since this is a convertible, it could have been caught in the rain
with the top down and wasn't dried out properly when it was closed (or
the top leaks).

My '97 convertible has some rust specks on the pedal levers, but it
looks harmless...and the car spent the first few years of it's life
near salt water.

Try going back to the dealer and requesting a Carfax report
(especially if you find more rust)...I suspect if a flood/water damage
claim was made, it would show up.
http://www.carfax.com/

Old March 18th 05, 08:23 PM
storeit

I have a 2003 Convertible, and it has similar problems. I suspect the rust
is due to water and snow buildup when the top's down, or a leaky
convertible top.

I've taken a few example pictures of the car:

http://www.carpictures.com/vehicles/...05CHE220417176

Old March 19th 05, 02:21 AM
Chuck

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:23:21 -0500, "storeit"
> wrote:

>I have a 2003 Convertible, and it has similar problems. I suspect the rust
>is due to water and snow buildup when the top's down, or a leaky
>convertible top.
>
>I've taken a few example pictures of the car:
>
>http://www.carpictures.com/vehicles/...05CHE220417176

I had the same on a 96 mustang coup... Windshield not completely
sealed at bottom on drivers side.. Could hear a little wind noise. Not
big enough leak to notice carpet wet..
Chuck