1600+ cylinder&piston kit for 1300 AB engine

Old December 3rd 04, 02:33 PM
Damjan Mozetič

Default 1600+ cylinder&piston kit for 1300 AB engine

Hi,

I am considering beefing up my stock dual port AB 1300 engine into
something just above 1600ccm. I might be interested in a slip-in
solution (no modification to case/head), if such an option is possible
and it wouldn't compromise the engine's durability. Also my budget is
limited to around 250 eur.

I can only choose from this site's offering as shipping from the US
would be costy: http://www.hoffmann-speedster.com/us/motkomp.htm

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Damjan
Old December 3rd 04, 03:52 PM
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I would go with 85.5mm (the stock 1585cc) pistons.
This is the larger size you can reliably use without machining the engine
case. BUT the heads need machining to accept any size bigger than the 1300cc
pistons. It would be wiser to buy new 1600 heads.

250euros is very low. You have to do everything yourself and you should
allready have all the necessary tools (which you won't if you haven't
rebuilt an engine before), plus you must know very well what to do, or you
will probably build an engine that will not last or even run good. It is not
just a matter of swapping the cylinders, having the heads machined and then
bolt everything back together.

You need to split the case, inspect and replace all worn internal parts (and
expect to find several things that need replacing or machining). Then you
will need to meassure the combustion chamber volume on the heads, the deck
height and calculate the resulted compression ratio, which will be
considerably higher cause the 1300 heads have smaller combustion chambers.
Unless you buy new 1600 heads, you will have to calculate the thikness of
the shims that need to be placed between the cylinders and the case to raise
the deck height and lower the CR to normal levels. And much more minor
details.
With your budget you could have a decent rebuild if you stay to the 1300cc
size.
Get a good service manual and read it thoroughly, before making any
decisions.

Bill,
'67 Bug.

Old December 3rd 04, 07:58 PM
Damjan Mozetič

Thanks Bill, that's most useful information. I was just considering the
options, but now that I am aware of my that, I'll just go with the puma
beam and shocks.

Re,

Damjan