V vs H Rated Michellin's

Old January 23rd 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_1_]

Default V vs H Rated Michellin's

It's time for some new shoes for my '03 Accord V-6. I know people on
this usenet group are not all that fond of the OEM Michellin Energy
MVX4 91V tires, but I have been happy with them. Good snow and wet
pavement performance, quiet and good mileage. That's good enough for
me. I buy my tires at Costco, so straying away from the mainstream in
tires is not an option for me.

I see that the Energy tire has been replaced with the Primacy. It's
supposed to be a blend between the old Energy and another higher-end
Michellin tire. There is a $30 per tire difference between the V and
the H ratings in the Primacy. Is there any real reason to spend the
extra $120 to get the V rating again? I do spend some time on the
road, so 80 mph is not uncommon. I don't know why Honda uses the V
rating in the first place, unless it is just a marketing tool.

Dick

Old January 23rd 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On Jan 23, 1:52*pm, Dick > wrote:
> It's time for some new shoes for my '03 Accord V-6. *I know people on
> this usenet group are not all that fond of the OEM Michellin Energy
> MVX4 91V tires, but I have been happy with them. *Good snow and wet
> pavement performance, quiet and good mileage. *That's good enough for
> me. *I buy my tires at Costco, so straying away from the mainstream in
> tires is not an option for me.
>
> I see that the Energy tire has been replaced with the Primacy. *It's
> supposed to be a blend between the old Energy and another higher-end
> Michellin tire. *There is a $30 per tire difference between the V and
> the H ratings in the Primacy. *Is there any real reason to spend the
> extra $120 to get the V rating again? *I do spend some time on the
> road, so 80 mph is not uncommon. *I don't know why Honda uses the V
> rating in the first place, unless it is just a marketing tool.
>
> Dick *

as far as the tire disintegrating at full speed, there isn't any
problem with either. just off the top of my head the drop in speed
rating is likely to be tied to a general switch to a more comfy, less
performance tire design in general, but that doesn't necessarily imply
that the accord will notice a difference, or that a different tire
with a V rating will actually be any better, tires being like speakers
in the audio world, each design is such a crapshoot.
Old January 23rd 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR[_1_]

On Jan 23, 1:52*pm, Dick > wrote:
snip
>*There is a $30 per tire difference between the V and
> the H ratings in the Primacy. *Is there any real reason to spend the
> extra $120 to get the V rating again? *I do spend some time on the
> road, so 80 mph is not uncommon.

Here's a reference for speed ratings:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

obviously, 80 mph isn't a problem for "H" rated tires.

>*I don't know why Honda uses the V
> rating in the first place, unless it is just a marketing tool.

(you'd be surprised how many people buy tires from the dealer. "V"
rating increases profit.)

the "V" rated tires probably have stiffer sidewalls but you're looking
at standard all season radials, not high performance tires. Save your
money.

Old January 23rd 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Ron

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSpeedRating.dos
Old January 24th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Dick wrote:
> It's time for some new shoes for my '03 Accord V-6. I know people on
> this usenet group are not all that fond of the OEM Michellin Energy
> MVX4 91V tires, but I have been happy with them. Good snow and wet
> pavement performance, quiet and good mileage. That's good enough for
> me. I buy my tires at Costco, so straying away from the mainstream in
> tires is not an option for me.
>
> I see that the Energy tire has been replaced with the Primacy. It's
> supposed to be a blend between the old Energy and another higher-end
> Michellin tire. There is a $30 per tire difference between the V and
> the H ratings in the Primacy. Is there any real reason to spend the
> extra $120 to get the V rating again? I do spend some time on the
> road, so 80 mph is not uncommon. I don't know why Honda uses the V
> rating in the first place, unless it is just a marketing tool.

the energy is not a performance tire - it's a high mileage low rolling
resistance tire. you're not going to gain anything paying to replicate
their "speed" rating.
Old January 24th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:16:43 -0800, jim beam
> wrote:

>Dick wrote:
>> It's time for some new shoes for my '03 Accord V-6. I know people on
>> this usenet group are not all that fond of the OEM Michellin Energy
>> MVX4 91V tires, but I have been happy with them. Good snow and wet
>> pavement performance, quiet and good mileage. That's good enough for
>> me. I buy my tires at Costco, so straying away from the mainstream in
>> tires is not an option for me.
>>
>> I see that the Energy tire has been replaced with the Primacy. It's
>> supposed to be a blend between the old Energy and another higher-end
>> Michellin tire. There is a $30 per tire difference between the V and
>> the H ratings in the Primacy. Is there any real reason to spend the
>> extra $120 to get the V rating again? I do spend some time on the
>> road, so 80 mph is not uncommon. I don't know why Honda uses the V
>> rating in the first place, unless it is just a marketing tool.
>>

>the energy is not a performance tire - it's a high mileage low rolling
>resistance tire. you're not going to gain anything paying to replicate
>their "speed" rating.

I often wonder about the differences (if any) when a tire model comes
in different speed ratings. The rating refers only to the tire's
resistance to coming apart at high speed. This attribute doesn't
guaranty that the tire handles well. Of course, high performance
tires tend to come with higher speed ratings than Costco all season
radials. But is there any inherent correlation between speed rating
and handling, especially when you can get nominally the same tire in
different ratings?

Old January 24th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Gordon McGrew wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:16:43 -0800, jim beam
> > wrote:
>
>> Dick wrote:
>>> It's time for some new shoes for my '03 Accord V-6. I know people on
>>> this usenet group are not all that fond of the OEM Michellin Energy
>>> MVX4 91V tires, but I have been happy with them. Good snow and wet
>>> pavement performance, quiet and good mileage. That's good enough for
>>> me. I buy my tires at Costco, so straying away from the mainstream in
>>> tires is not an option for me.
>>>
>>> I see that the Energy tire has been replaced with the Primacy. It's
>>> supposed to be a blend between the old Energy and another higher-end
>>> Michellin tire. There is a $30 per tire difference between the V and
>>> the H ratings in the Primacy. Is there any real reason to spend the
>>> extra $120 to get the V rating again? I do spend some time on the
>>> road, so 80 mph is not uncommon. I don't know why Honda uses the V
>>> rating in the first place, unless it is just a marketing tool.
>>>

>> the energy is not a performance tire - it's a high mileage low rolling
>> resistance tire. you're not going to gain anything paying to replicate
>> their "speed" rating.

> I often wonder about the differences (if any) when a tire model comes
> in different speed ratings. The rating refers only to the tire's
> resistance to coming apart at high speed. This attribute doesn't
> guaranty that the tire handles well. Of course, high performance
> tires tend to come with higher speed ratings than Costco all season
> radials. But is there any inherent correlation between speed rating
> and handling, especially when you can get nominally the same tire in
> different ratings?

no correlation that i know of. it's the construction of the tire and
the ability of the rubber to dissipate accumulated heat that give it the
speed rating. neither assure handling or traction.

Old January 24th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
M.Paul[_2_]

"Dick" > wrote in message
> It's time for some new shoes for my '03 Accord V-6. I know people on
> this usenet group are not all that fond of the OEM Michellin Energy
> MVX4 91V tires, but I have been happy with them. Good snow and wet
> pavement performance, quiet and good mileage. That's good enough for
> me. I buy my tires at Costco, so straying away from the mainstream in
> tires is not an option for me.
>
> I see that the Energy tire has been replaced with the Primacy. It's
> supposed to be a blend between the old Energy and another higher-end
> Michellin tire. There is a $30 per tire difference between the V and
> the H ratings in the Primacy. Is there any real reason to spend the
> extra $120 to get the V rating again? I do spend some time on the
> road, so 80 mph is not uncommon. I don't know why Honda uses the V
> rating in the first place, unless it is just a marketing tool.
>
> Dick

The tire folks at my local Costco stated that since the door label on my '99
Accord V6 recommends V rated tires, due to liability issues it is their
policy to not install tires with a lesser speed rating. YMMV.
M.Paul

Old January 24th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_1_]

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:52:02 -0800, "M.Paul"
> wrote:

>"Dick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> It's time for some new shoes for my '03 Accord V-6. I know people on
>> this usenet group are not all that fond of the OEM Michellin Energy
>> MVX4 91V tires, but I have been happy with them. Good snow and wet
>> pavement performance, quiet and good mileage. That's good enough for
>> me. I buy my tires at Costco, so straying away from the mainstream in
>> tires is not an option for me.
>>
>> I see that the Energy tire has been replaced with the Primacy. It's
>> supposed to be a blend between the old Energy and another higher-end
>> Michellin tire. There is a $30 per tire difference between the V and
>> the H ratings in the Primacy. Is there any real reason to spend the
>> extra $120 to get the V rating again? I do spend some time on the
>> road, so 80 mph is not uncommon. I don't know why Honda uses the V
>> rating in the first place, unless it is just a marketing tool.
>>
>> Dick

>The tire folks at my local Costco stated that since the door label on my '99
>Accord V6 recommends V rated tires, due to liability issues it is their
>policy to not install tires with a lesser speed rating. YMMV.
>M.Paul

Good point. I will see what ours has to say about that. May be a
corporate issue.

Dick

Old January 25th 08, 07:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tom Wallace

I ran in to this about 4 years ago and I tried 3 different Costco's and each
would not sell me the tires. I was able to buy lower speed ratings at
Wal-Mart.
"Dick" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:52:02 -0800, "M.Paul"
> > wrote:

. ..