green antifreeze in my 93 civic

Old January 26th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default green antifreeze in my 93 civic

z > wrote in news:a9ce48a3-c522-41a6-8675-
:

> On Jan 24, 2:06*pm, Tegger > wrote:
>
>> Don't turn your head unless you've replaced your fluid with official
>> Honda Head Turning Fluid. Otherwise, damage will result to the neck
>> and spinal column assembly.

> too late. you oughta hear it creaking and groaning.
>
> how'd your engine swap ever turn out?

Never did it.

I have been keeping extremely close observation of my oil consumption
over the last year or so. Excessive oil consumption was the primary
reason I was considering an engine replacement, so I wanted to perform a
rigorously controlled study of just what was getting sucked though the
motor.

Well.

It's been roughly 1,500 miles per quart for a long time (I determine
this after correcting for an earlier error in interpreting dipstick
markings).

Very lately consumption has been DECREASING.

In November it was 1,500 mi/qt.
In December it was 1,800 mi/qt.

I just checked it now, the proverbial bell having rung to indicate it
was time for another reading. I checked, then checked again. And again.
I even went pessimistic on my dipstick reading.
It's 2,500 mi/qt. At least.

I do not know what's going on here. Each year there is a decrease
corresponding to the winter drop in ambient temperatures, but this is
the most consumption has declined in several years. And this has not
been a particularly cold winter.

Some time ago I posted a query to rec.autos.tech about this, and it was
suggested to me that I probably had a collapsed oil control ring spacer.
In such a case, there would be sudden increase in oil usage, then the
piston groove would eventually carbon up and usage would decline. Maybe
this is the explanation.

Without having X-Ray vision and being able to see inside the engine,
this is a real mystery,

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 26th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> z > wrote in news:a9ce48a3-c522-41a6-8675-
> :
>
>> On Jan 24, 2:06�pm, Tegger > wrote:
>>
>>> Don't turn your head unless you've replaced your fluid with official
>>> Honda Head Turning Fluid. Otherwise, damage will result to the neck
>>> and spinal column assembly.

>> too late. you oughta hear it creaking and groaning.
>>
>> how'd your engine swap ever turn out?

> Never did it.
>
> I have been keeping extremely close observation of my oil consumption
> over the last year or so. Excessive oil consumption was the primary
> reason I was considering an engine replacement, so I wanted to perform a
> rigorously controlled study of just what was getting sucked though the
> motor.
>
> Well.
>
> It's been roughly 1,500 miles per quart for a long time (I determine
> this after correcting for an earlier error in interpreting dipstick
> markings).
>
> Very lately consumption has been DECREASING.
>
> In November it was 1,500 mi/qt.
> In December it was 1,800 mi/qt.
>
> I just checked it now, the proverbial bell having rung to indicate it
> was time for another reading. I checked, then checked again. And again.
> I even went pessimistic on my dipstick reading.
> It's 2,500 mi/qt. At least.
>
> I do not know what's going on here. Each year there is a decrease
> corresponding to the winter drop in ambient temperatures, but this is
> the most consumption has declined in several years. And this has not
> been a particularly cold winter.
>
> Some time ago I posted a query to rec.autos.tech about this, and it was
> suggested to me that I probably had a collapsed oil control ring spacer.
> In such a case, there would be sudden increase in oil usage, then the
> piston groove would eventually carbon up and usage would decline. Maybe
> this is the explanation.
>
> Without having X-Ray vision and being able to see inside the engine,
> this is a real mystery,

you've changed oil though haven't you? my 89 civic used to burn regular
oil but that's dropped dramatically using mobil 1. and it continues to
drop too.

i have two theories.

1. there's less volatile fraction in the base oil of m1 to evaporate.
[regular oil is a mix of weights. the light ones are easier to boil off.]

2. i read about piston aero engine oil not having viscosity modifiers
because they tend to ash around the piston rings. if this is the case,
and m1 is proving to be a very effective cleaner of my previously
resined up engine, i can see it getting rid of piston ring deposits
allowing them to seal better again.

i'm basing 1 on what i know to be fact about the mix and basic
chemistry. 2, i'm guessing, but i don't buy the collapsed ring spacer -
that would make consumption go to heck, and it wouldn't start to seal
after time - it would just continue to deteriorate.

but for sure, my experience of m1 is the same as yours.
Old January 28th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On Jan 25, 9:05Â*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> Tegger wrote:
> > z > wrote in news:a9ce48a3-c522-41a6-8675-
> > :

> >> too late. you oughta hear it creaking and groaning.

> >> how'd your engine swap ever turn out?

> > Never did it.

> > I have been keeping extremely close observation of my oil consumption
> > over the last year or so. Excessive oil consumption was the primary
> > reason I was considering an engine replacement, so I wanted to perform a
> > rigorously controlled study of just what was getting sucked though the
> > motor.

> > Well.

> > It's been roughly 1,500 miles per quart for a long time (I determine
> > this after correcting for an earlier error in interpreting dipstick
> > markings).

> > Very lately consumption has been DECREASING.

> > In November it was 1,500 mi/qt.
> > In December it was 1,800 mi/qt.

> > I just checked it now, the proverbial bell having rung to indicate it
> > was time for another reading. I checked, then checked again. And again.
> > I even went pessimistic on my dipstick reading.
> > It's 2,500 mi/qt. At least.

> > I do not know what's going on here. Each year there is a decrease
> > corresponding to the winter drop in ambient temperatures, but this is
> > the most consumption has declined in several years. And this has not
> > been a particularly cold winter.

> > Some time ago I posted a query to rec.autos.tech about this, and it was
> > suggested to me that I probably had a collapsed oil control ring spacer.
> > In such a case, there would be sudden increase in oil usage, then the
> > piston groove would eventually carbon up and usage would decline. Maybe
> > this is the explanation.

> > Without having X-Ray vision and being able to see inside the engine,
> > this is a real mystery,

> you've changed oil though haven't you? Â*my 89 civic used to burn regular
> oil but that's dropped dramatically using mobil 1. Â*and it continues to
> drop too.
>
> i have two theories.
>
> 1. there's less volatile fraction in the base oil of m1 to evaporate.
> [regular oil is a mix of weights. Â*the light ones are easier to boil off.]
>
> 2. i read about piston aero engine oil not having viscosity modifiers
> because they tend to ash around the piston rings. Â*if this is the case,
> and m1 is proving to be a very effective cleaner of my previously
> resined up engine, i can see it getting rid of piston ring deposits
> allowing them to seal better again.
>
> i'm basing 1 on what i know to be fact about the mix and basic
> chemistry. Â*2, i'm guessing, but i don't buy the collapsed ring spacer -
> that would make consumption go to heck, and it wouldn't start to seal
> after time - it would just continue to deteriorate.
>
> but for sure, my experience of m1 is the same as yours.- Hide quoted text -

could be just plain old chemistry. oil contains various 'seal
swellers' and undoubtedly every brand has its own concoction, maybe
the brew in Mobil 1 just happens to suit what your engine needs better
than other brands. just handwaving here, but given mobil 1's ability
to creep and leak, could be they even put in a more powerful sweller
to keep things under control, relying on the increased lubrication of
the oil to keep the seals from wearing more when swelled.
Old January 28th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On Jan 25, 8:29*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> z > wrote in news:a9ce48a3-c522-41a6-8675-
> :
>
> > On Jan 24, 2:06*pm, Tegger > wrote:

> >> Don't turn your head unless you've replaced your fluid with official
> >> Honda Head Turning Fluid. Otherwise, damage will result to the neck
> >> and spinal column assembly.

> > too late. you oughta hear it creaking and groaning.

> > how'd your engine swap ever turn out?

> Never did it.
>
> I have been keeping extremely close observation of my oil consumption
> over the last year or so. Excessive oil consumption was the primary
> reason I was considering an engine replacement, so I wanted to perform a
> rigorously controlled study of just what was getting sucked though the
> motor.
>
> Well.
>
> It's been roughly 1,500 miles per quart for a long time (I determine
> this after correcting for an earlier error in interpreting dipstick
> markings).
>
> Very lately consumption has been DECREASING.
>
> In November it was 1,500 mi/qt.
> In December it was 1,800 mi/qt.
>
> I just checked it now, the proverbial bell having rung to indicate it
> was time for another reading. I checked, then checked again. And again.
> I even went pessimistic on my dipstick reading.
> It's 2,500 mi/qt. At least.
>
> I do not know what's going on here. Each year there is a decrease
> corresponding to the winter drop in ambient temperatures, but this is
> the most consumption has declined in several years. And this has not
> been a particularly cold winter.
>
> Some time ago I posted a query to rec.autos.tech about this, and it was
> suggested to me that I probably had a collapsed oil control ring spacer.
> In such a case, there would be sudden increase in oil usage, then the
> piston groove would eventually carbon up and usage would decline. Maybe
> this is the explanation.
>
> Without having X-Ray vision and being able to see inside the engine,
> this is a real mystery,
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

well, even 1500 miles isn't too bad. i'm going through a quart of oil
every gas fillup or two, but that's just because my vtec solenoid is
spraying oil like a texas gusher.

Antifreeze - DexCool replaced with the Green Stuff... Felder Technology 2 April 2nd 07 07:31 AM
About Antifreeze Erhanboy BMW 17 May 12th 06 05:15 AM
Mixing Green /Yellow/ Orange antifreeze Masospaghetti Technology 2 March 17th 06 02:21 AM
antifreeze bg16172 Dodge 2 January 1st 06 04:45 PM
Antifreeze? Richard Chrysler 24 October 17th 04 03:41 PM