Rear Diff Q for 320i coupe 1994/M

Old January 25th 05, 02:36 PM
Lordy

Default Rear Diff Q for 320i coupe 1994/M

[alt.autos.bmw,uk.rec.cars.misc]

I'm in the process of sourcing a rear diff for a 320i coupe (This was the
cause of the vibration in the rear wheels I posted a while back).

One chap has rung back and asked if its the one with 4 or 6 bolts in the
retaining ring. None of the other suppliers (that quoted a price) have
asked this. So either this chap really knows his stuff or he is asking a
slightly pointless question.

Given the make and model is it really likely it comes with two different
types of retaining ring?

Also my garage are getting a price for sending it away for a rebuild of the
rear diff? On this age of car that seems like a complete waste of cash to
me? I'm not sure why they are exploring this option at all. Still they will
install a used rear diff if I can get one.

Lordy
Old January 25th 05, 07:09 PM
Peter Hill

On 25 Jan 2005 14:36:44 GMT, Lordy > wrote:

>[alt.autos.bmw,uk.rec.cars.misc]
>
>I'm in the process of sourcing a rear diff for a 320i coupe (This was the
>cause of the vibration in the rear wheels I posted a while back).
>
>One chap has rung back and asked if its the one with 4 or 6 bolts in the
>retaining ring. None of the other suppliers (that quoted a price) have
>asked this. So either this chap really knows his stuff or he is asking a
>slightly pointless question.
>
>Given the make and model is it really likely it comes with two different
>types of retaining ring?
>
>Also my garage are getting a price for sending it away for a rebuild of the
>rear diff? On this age of car that seems like a complete waste of cash to
>me? I'm not sure why they are exploring this option at all. Still they will
>install a used rear diff if I can get one.
>
>Lordy

The economics of a rebuild or secondhand one depends on if the fault
endemic - will the S/H one go the same way at xxx K miles? Most
gearbox and diff rebuilders just mix and match secondhand bits from
stuff they get at the scrap yards anyway.

Old January 25th 05, 07:22 PM
SteveH

Lordy > wrote:

> Also my garage are getting a price for sending it away for a rebuild of the
> rear diff? On this age of car that seems like a complete waste of cash to
> me?

I'd have the rebuild if it's not too expensive, as that way you will get
a known good diff with a 'warrenty'.

This is the route I took with the 75's gearbox - it needed diff bearings
and synchro rings. Rather than risk a used box doing the same thing in a
few thousand miles, I decided a proper rebuild was the way to go. Even
if it did cost me 400 sheets.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old January 25th 05, 09:14 PM
SteveH

Lordy > wrote:

> > This is the route I took with the 75's gearbox - it needed diff
> > bearings and synchro rings. Rather than risk a used box doing the same
> > thing in a few thousand miles, I decided a proper rebuild was the way
> > to go. Even if it did cost me 400 sheets.

> They quoted 550 (inc vat) for the rebuild.

Jesus, they using NASA-grade Titanium for the rebuild or something?

> quarrymotors have 2nd hand part for 140 (inc vat & P&P + 90 day warranty) +
> 100 labour (inc) from garage 'round the corner + 20 tow = 280 inc.

I only paid £120 more for a gearbox rebuild..... ie. not just the simple
bit, all the synchros and replacement of some of the bearings in the
gearbox bit of the transaxle. Plus I got a 6 month warranty.

I think you need to shop around for the rebuild personally, as £280 is a
lot to risk on a part that may or may not still work in 5k miles time.

I've been burned on this before with a gearbox for my Alfa 33.
Replacement went the same way as the original within 6 months.

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old January 26th 05, 08:11 PM
Peter Hill

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:14:46 +0000, (SteveH)
wrote:

>Lordy > wrote:
>
>> > This is the route I took with the 75's gearbox - it needed diff
>> > bearings and synchro rings. Rather than risk a used box doing the same
>> > thing in a few thousand miles, I decided a proper rebuild was the way
>> > to go. Even if it did cost me 400 sheets.

>> They quoted 550 (inc vat) for the rebuild.

>Jesus, they using NASA-grade Titanium for the rebuild or something?
>>
>> quarrymotors have 2nd hand part for 140 (inc vat & P&P + 90 day warranty) +
>> 100 labour (inc) from garage 'round the corner + 20 tow = 280 inc.

>I only paid £120 more for a gearbox rebuild..... ie. not just the simple
>bit, all the synchros and replacement of some of the bearings in the
>gearbox bit of the transaxle. Plus I got a 6 month warranty.
>
>I think you need to shop around for the rebuild personally, as £280 is a
>lot to risk on a part that may or may not still work in 5k miles time.
>
>I've been burned on this before with a gearbox for my Alfa 33.
>Replacement went the same way as the original within 6 months.

Hypoid crown and pinion sets are expensive. As are gearbox layshafts
or mainshafts. If the fault can be identified before striping it down
then it may be worthwhile. Paying for a strip down with the
possibility of being told it needs a gearset costing hundreds of
pounds is a gamble. Usually good money down the drain. On an
exchange basis you will get refused the return of the core deposit if
it's not rebuildable or needs major parts. Bearings, shims and
synchos are all low cost compared to the gearsets.

It's actually cheaper to buy a OS Giken heavyduty gearset than a stock
Nissan one. Mainshaft alone is over £500.

Old January 27th 05, 12:03 PM

I'm not aware that diffs are a weak point so your gamble may pay off.
I replaced a gearbox for <200 quid not that long ago but the labour
cost was my own. A diff should be a piece of cake.

Old January 31st 05, 01:14 PM
Lordy

Lordy > wrote in
:

> quarrymotors have 2nd hand part for 140 (inc vat & P&P + 90 day
> warranty) + 100 labour (inc) from garage 'round the corner + 20 tow =
> 280 inc.

All done. Garage charged 80quid (inc VAT) Labour. Tow (from Rip-Off Garage
to Cheap one) was 25 quid. Grand total 245 GBP. It would have been only
220UKP if the car was initially recovered to the cheaper garage in the
first place.

Highest quote - Brand Shiny New Diff (940 inc VAT) + Labour (352.50 inc
VAT) = 1,292 GBP

Lordy