cooling fan

Old November 27th 04, 12:03 AM
Terry Mosley

Default cooling fan

I have a '94 SL, 4 cyl. 5 speed, anyone have a problem with the cooling fan
not coming on when the temp gage gets near the "red zone"?
The A/C switch will kick on the fan, and I have ohmed out the wiring and the
relays. All check good. Seems like the "trigger point" in the PCM is not
set properly......Any ideas?

Thx.

Old November 27th 04, 01:54 PM
James1549

I am not sure on a '94, but I can tell you about my '92. There are two temp
sensors on the engine (head). One has 2 wires, one has 1 wire. The one wire
sensor controls the gauge, and the 2 wire sensor goes to the PCM. I would
replace the 2 wire sensor for good measure - part is less than $10 at Saturn.
James

Old November 27th 04, 04:40 PM
Terry Mosley

Thanks for the help guys....appreciate it.

Old November 27th 04, 04:43 PM
Kevin M. Keller

"Terry Mosley" > typed until their fingers bled, and
came up with:

> I have a '94 SL, 4 cyl. 5 speed, anyone have a problem with the
> cooling fan not coming on when the temp gage gets near the "red zone"?

The fan should kick on when the guage just barely touches the red. If it
doesn't, then replace the sensor - the 2 wire one mentioned in the other
post.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old November 27th 04, 07:27 PM

On 27 Nov 2004 16:43:42 GMT, "Kevin M. Keller" > wrote:

>"Terry Mosley" > typed until their fingers bled, and
>came up with:
>
>> I have a '94 SL, 4 cyl. 5 speed, anyone have a problem with the
>> cooling fan not coming on when the temp gage gets near the "red zone"?

>The fan should kick on when the guage just barely touches the red. If it
>doesn't, then replace the sensor - the 2 wire one mentioned in the other
>post.

Just my 2 cents, I had a temp switch that failed that created the same
symptoms.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old November 29th 04, 07:44 PM
Scott MacIntyre

I have the same car/year with 160000 and the same problem. I was told it's
a common problem and the sensor's shot.

It's been that way for about 2 years, and is never a problem as long as I'm
driving and not in traffic or on a drive thru line, so I'm used to keeping
my eye on it when I'm idling. When I see it start to climb I flick the a/c
for a second and then off, which seems to kick the fan in. It'll shut off
automatically when it cools down. It seems a hassle, but I'm not putting
another $ in this car if possible now. It's been an OK car for me since I
inherited it, and I'll drive it till it goes to that great junkyard in the
sky, but I more or less have put it under "hospice" care at this point and
try to make it comfortable in it's final days...

Old November 30th 04, 01:06 AM
94SC2

$7.99 at Autozone. 15 minute change out tops. Comes pre-treated with
thread seal. Use a 13 mm deep socket -- screw
old out, new in. This is a tapered pipe thread , so generally
no torque is specified, just use commom sense. Gently pry
wire clip from sensor. Have new sensor ready because coolant
will run out after removing old sensor ( unless you drain --NOT
NECESSARY). From what most mechanics tell me , 120K miles is about
average life for that sensor.

Old November 30th 04, 03:50 PM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:06:21 -0500, "94SC2"
> wrote:

>$7.99 at Autozone. 15 minute change out tops. Comes pre-treated with
>thread seal. Use a 13 mm deep socket -- screw
>old out, new in. This is a tapered pipe thread , so generally
>no torque is specified, just use commom sense. Gently pry
>wire clip from sensor. Have new sensor ready because coolant
>will run out after removing old sensor ( unless you drain --NOT
>NECESSARY). From what most mechanics tell me , 120K miles is about
>average life for that sensor.

Wow, good information. Wish I had it at the time mine failed, but I
couldn't rule out the relay.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old December 2nd 04, 02:06 AM
Terry Mosley

Thanks for all the input.....I have changed the 2 wire sensor and the 1 wire
sensor both, initially to try to fix this problem , and in the case of the 2
wire sensor, I have been changing it at the rate of once a year, ( crap
replacement parts IMHO).

Anyway, I too inherited this vehicle, and like Mr.SM, I just seem to be
nursing it along, keeping it going, waiting for a better day. Hell, the car
has been a good one in other ways ( TWO (2) deer strikes!) and it just keeps
on running.

Thanks Again Everyone!