Speedo cable

Old April 1st 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie Bress[_2_]

Default Speedo cable

92 with 191k on it and automatic transmission. The speedo has gotten erratic
and reads all over the place.
Can the core be replaced from the head end only, without disconnecting it
from the tranny?
What is the approved lube for the core?

If I can do it from the head end, it is a DIY job. I am no longer able to
crawl under the car to get at the transmission end and would need to take it
in.

True there may be other things causing the problem. No matter what access to
the head end will be required so I might as well try the easy approach
first.

Charlie

Old April 1st 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

If the inner cable is damaged, there is every chance that the outer cable
may bear damage at the same time....

Others may have differing opinions but, personally, I prefer to make the
repair once and be done with it.... the few dollars that MIGHT be saved just
aren't worth the frustration of doing it all over again later.

Old April 1st 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Paul G.

On Apr 1, 9:44 am, "Charlie Bress" > wrote:
> 92 with 191k on it and automatic transmission. The speedo has gotten erratic
> and reads all over the place.
> Can the core be replaced from the head end only, without disconnecting it
> from the tranny?
> What is the approved lube for the core?
>
> If I can do it from the head end, it is a DIY job. I am no longer able to
> crawl under the car to get at the transmission end and would need to take it
> in.
>
> True there may be other things causing the problem. No matter what access to
> the head end will be required so I might as well try the easy approach
> first.

This sounds like the same problem I had. Does this describe your
symptoms?
"My 94 Explorer's mechanical speedometer behaves erratically above
about
55 mph. It swings while driving a steady speed, and generally reads
5-10 mph too HIGH."

A problem with the cable will cause a "ticking" of the speedo needle,
at the rpm the cable spins at, which is proportional to speed.

Search this newsgroup for the thread "91-94 Mechanical Speedometer" if
you're interested in the technical explanation. The bottom line is
that it is the speedo head, and that's what you have to replace. I got
mine at a junk yard for less than $20.

Yes, you can simply remove the head and replace it, read that thread
for info on how to remove the head from the cable.

It's not practical to repair the head. A tiny bushing is worn, you
can't simply lube it.

This info does not apply to '95's and later, they use an electronic
speedo with no drive cable.
-Paul

A1 G60 Swap speedo cable Weatherbee VW water cooled 2 April 10th 06 06:32 PM
lubing your speedo cable Alex M. Postpischil Mazda 12 November 24th 05 09:16 AM
SPEEDO CABLE LUBE Chris D'Agnolo Mazda 4 October 29th 05 12:23 AM
speedo cable chirp H. Enderton Honda 0 July 13th 05 07:18 PM
Speedo cable in left front hub...HOW DO I GET IT IN?????? Ted VW air cooled 5 June 30th 05 07:23 PM