Didn't pay a ticket in NJ and now live in California (what can theydo)?

Old December 13th 12, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Larry Sheldon

Default Didn't pay a ticket in NJ and now live in California (what canthey do)?

On 12/13/2012 5:14 PM, m6onz5a wrote:
> On Dec 12, 5:09 pm, Tony Palermo >
> wrote:
>> Two years ago, I got a ticket from NJ state troopers for pulling over on
>> the freeway (because my oil light was flickering).
>>
>> The trooper asked me to start my car and he didn't see the oil light on
>> (it was intermittent).
>>
>> Anyway, I never answered the ticket as I was due back home in California
>> weeks before the court date.
>>
>> When I got back home to California, I just went on with my life.
>>
>> Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
>> appear.
>>
>> What can they in NJ actually do about this?
>>
>> Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?

> How the hell do you get pulled over for a oil light on your dash being
> on??? I didn't even know you could be pulled over for such a thing.
> Next they'll pull you over because your mirrors aren't adjusted
> properly, or your car is dirty. GEEZ

The whole story is sort of far-fetched, but he DID say he had pulled off
to investigate the light and got a ticket for having pulled over.

Which is hard to believe.

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ICBM Data: http://g.co/maps/e5gmy
Old December 14th 12, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Steve W.[_6_]

m6onz5a wrote:
> On Dec 12, 5:09 pm, Tony Palermo >
> wrote:
>> Two years ago, I got a ticket from NJ state troopers for pulling over on
>> the freeway (because my oil light was flickering).
>>
>> The trooper asked me to start my car and he didn't see the oil light on
>> (it was intermittent).
>>
>> Anyway, I never answered the ticket as I was due back home in California
>> weeks before the court date.
>>
>> When I got back home to California, I just went on with my life.
>>
>> Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
>> appear.
>>
>> What can they in NJ actually do about this?
>>
>> Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?

> How the hell do you get pulled over for a oil light on your dash being
> on??? I didn't even know you could be pulled over for such a thing.
> Next they'll pull you over because your mirrors aren't adjusted
> properly, or your car is dirty. GEEZ

In many states stopping/parking on driving area of a road is illegal. In
the OPs case he pulled over because
the oil light was on and he was worried about engine damage. The officer
saw him stopped and pulled up to see what was going on.
He was unable to demonstrate the problem he claimed so the trooper wrote
him a ticket.

This is the NJ law on the subject :
39:4-67. Obstruction of Traffic
39:4-67. Obstructing passage of other vehicles or street cars
prohibited; clearance of intersections

No vehicle or street car shall be permitted by the owner or driver
thereof to so occupy a street as to interfere with or interrupt the
passage of other street cars or vehicles, nor shall the driver of a
vehicle or street car drive such vehicle or street car into an
intersection if preceding traffic prevents immediate clearance of the
intersection.

Looks like it is a no-point violation with a "normal" minimum fine of
$54.00 + court fees

OR the OP could have been written up for Unsafe Driving

39:4-97.2 Unsafe Driving, operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner,
offense created; fines., 4 points on third offense

1. a. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, it
shall be unlawful for any person to drive or operate a motor vehicle in
an unsafe manner likely to endanger a person or property.

b. A person convicted of a first offense under subsection a. shall
be subject to a fine of not less than $50.00 or more than $150.00 and
shall not be assessed any motor vehicle penalty points pursuant to
section 1 of P.L. 1982, c.43 (C.39:5-30.5).

c. A person convicted of a second offense under subsection a. shall
be subject to a fine of not less than $100.00 or more than $250.00 and
shall not be assessed any motor vehicle penalty points pursuant to
section 1 of P.L. 1982, c.43 (C.39:5-30.5).

d. A person convicted of a third or subsequent offense under
subsection a. shall be subject to a fine of not less than $200.00 or
more than $500.00 and shall be assessed motor vehicle penalty points
pursuant to section 1 of P.L. 1982, c.43 (C.39:5-30.5).

e. An offense committed under this section that occurs more than
five years after the prior offense shall not be considered a subsequent
offense for the purpose of assessing motor vehicle penalty points under
subsection d. of this section.

As to what can be done. Fail to answer the bench warrant and they will
probably suspend your license, revoke any registrations, and probably
arrest you.

--
Steve W.
Old December 14th 12, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
jgar the jorrible

On Dec 13, 3:47*pm, Patrick Scheible > wrote:
> m6onz5a > writes:
> > On Dec 12, 5:09*pm, Tony Palermo >
> > wrote:
> >> Two years ago, I got a ticket from NJ state troopers for pulling over on
> >> the freeway (because my oil light was flickering).

> >> The trooper asked me to start my car and he didn't see the oil light on
> >> (it was intermittent).

> >> Anyway, I never answered the ticket as I was due back home in California
> >> weeks before the court date.

> >> When I got back home to California, I just went on with my life.

> >> Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
> >> appear.

> >> What can they in NJ actually do about this?

> >> Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?

> > How the hell do you get pulled over for a oil light on your dash being
> > on??? *I didn't even know you could be pulled over for such a thing.
> > Next they'll pull you over because your mirrors aren't adjusted
> > properly, or your car is dirty. GEEZ

> Dude, read the post. *The poster pulled his car over on the shoulder
> because his oil light was on. *The trooper pulled up to see why he was
> stopped on the shoulder.
>
> -- Patrick

One time I was part of a Corvette caravan, about a dozen cars. The
guy leading the caravan had forgotten to attach his cb antenna (that
dates this, huh!), so pulled over on the side of the freeway (CA SR
78) to attach it, and everyone obediently followed. Chippie comes up
to see what the problem is, when told, goes apoplexic, rants on about
how the guy should have pulled off the freeway, looks down the line of
cars, cusses, gets back on his bike and motors off. Highly
entertaining.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/teenweb/posters
Old December 14th 12, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

Tony Palermo > wrote:
> Two years ago, I got a ticket from NJ state troopers for pulling over on
> the freeway (because my oil light was flickering).
>
> The trooper asked me to start my car and he didn't see the oil light on
> (it was intermittent).
>
> Anyway, I never answered the ticket as I was due back home in California
> weeks before the court date.
>
> When I got back home to California, I just went on with my life.
>
> Recently I got a bench warrant in the mail from California for failure to
> appear.
>
> What can they in NJ actually do about this?
>
> Can they extradite me to NJ over a freeway ticket?

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/1720...y-with-another

Greg
Old December 14th 12, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Tony Palermo

Naughtius wrote:

> IF That is STILL The Case, NJ's ONLY Option Per The IDLC, Would Be
> To CAUSE CA To SUSPEND Your **California** DL... UNTIL You PLED GUILTY/
> PAYED The NJ *COMPLAINT*... IF You Were "Tagged" On a CA DL, RATHER THAN
> a NOW-DEFUNCT NJ DL...

I was tagged on a NJ DL which is long defunct.
I reside in California now and have a valid CA DL.
Old December 14th 12, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Tony Palermo

Larry Sheldon wrote:

> The whole story is sort of far-fetched, but he DID say he had pulled off
> to investigate the light and got a ticket for having pulled over.

Cop asked me if I had pulled over to pee or take picture (on the
Turnpike).

Turns out that you can't pull over for a non emergency (even the action
of taking pictures is illegal).

Cop said he didn't believe me about the oil light.

Old December 14th 12, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Tony Palermo

K Wills wrote:

> It wasn't because of the light, but the pulling over.

Exactly. The NJ cop thought I had pulled over for some other non
emergency reason.

He noted I hadn't yet called AAA, for example.
Old December 14th 12, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
jgar the jorrible

On Dec 13, 8:02*pm, Tony Palermo >
wrote:
> Naughtius wrote:
> > * *IF That is STILL The Case, NJ's ONLY Option Per The IDLC, Would Be
> > To CAUSE CA To SUSPEND Your **California** DL... UNTIL You PLED GUILTY/
> > PAYED The NJ *COMPLAINT*... IF You Were "Tagged" On a CA DL, RATHER THAN
> > a NOW-DEFUNCT NJ DL...

> I was tagged on a NJ DL which is long defunct.
> I reside in California now and have a valid CA DL.

Sometimes there are issues due to mismatches in the computer codes:
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/17.88.html#subj11.1

Obviously that is way old and issues are likely to be different now,
but the more systems interact, the more stupid can happen. The thing
about police systems is, they necessarily assume the worst. You
simply can't assume you get away with anything just because you
changed jurisdictions.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.nctimes.com/special-repor...d3628de89.html
Old December 14th 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tony Palermo

gregz wrote:

> http://dmvanswers.com/questions/1720...y-with-another

Nice site. It assumes a ticket === a conviction.
I never showed up.
I guess I'm convicted as a result of that.

I wonder why CA DMV never said anything?
Old December 14th 12, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 12/14/2012 03:02 PM, Tony Palermo wrote:
> gregz wrote:
>
>> http://dmvanswers.com/questions/1720...y-with-another

> Nice site. It assumes a ticket === a conviction.
> I never showed up.
> I guess I'm convicted as a result of that.
>
> I wonder why CA DMV never said anything?

IANAL, but in most (all) cases if you receive a ticket and don't show up
at your court date, you are automatically found guilty, so you in effect
*were* convicted...

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel