What paperwork is required in CA for an out-of-state vehicletraffic stop?

Old November 12th 12, 09:08 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
AZ

Default What paperwork is required in CA for an out-of-state vehicletraffic stop?

I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the
requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when
you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.

I'm pretty sure they require both registration and insurance paperwork
but I can't actually find anywhere on the CA DMV site where it actually
says that for an out-of-state vehicle (and we all know CA laws are whacky
- so who knows 'what' they require)?

Any ideas?
Old November 12th 12, 09:24 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
m6onz5a

On Nov 12, 4:08*pm, AZ > wrote:
> I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the
> requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when
> you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.
>
> I'm pretty sure they require both registration and insurance paperwork
> but I can't actually find anywhere on the CA DMV site where it actually
> says that for an out-of-state vehicle (and we all know CA laws are whacky
> - so who knows 'what' they require)?
>
> Any ideas?

what else is there besides a valid license?
Old November 12th 12, 09:49 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
AMuzi

On 11/12/2012 3:08 PM, AZ wrote:
> I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the
> requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when
> you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.
>
> I'm pretty sure they require both registration and insurance paperwork
> but I can't actually find anywhere on the CA DMV site where it actually
> says that for an out-of-state vehicle (and we all know CA laws are whacky
> - so who knows 'what' they require)?
>
> Any ideas?

I do not know but when transporting a car from Arkansas to
WI, I was cited in Illinois for no valid plate, no
insurance. I quoted the Constitution (Art. IV) on a phone
call to the DA a week later who agreed and dropped the citation.

Illinois requires that you own the plate, then attach it to
the vehicle at time of sale. Wisconsin allows ten days to
transfer title and arrange plates. I did have the receipt
and signed title with me.

That said, I would never argue with a cop at a traffic stop.
Be polite, accept the paper and fight it later.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old November 12th 12, 09:50 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
jgar the jorrible

On Nov 12, 1:08*pm, AZ > wrote:
> I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the
> requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when
> you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.
>
> I'm pretty sure they require both registration and insurance paperwork
> but I can't actually find anywhere on the CA DMV site where it actually
> says that for an out-of-state vehicle (and we all know CA laws are whacky
> - so who knows 'what' they require)?
>
> Any ideas?

The requirements aren't really for a traffic stop, they're for when
your wheels touch a road in the state. (I've seen off-road bikes get
tickets on utility roads out in the middle of nowhere - one time, I
was the only one who didn't get a ticket on my street legal dp bike.)

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fas....htm#minliareq See
"Mandatory requirements"
This is linked to from http://dmv.ca.gov/newtoca/newtoca.htm which
also links to http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/how...r9.htm#feesdue

You can ask the dmv guy at http://www.utsandiego.com/categories...dmv-questions/
but he doesn't always answer. The best thing is to ask the dmv in
writing, but even then you might get bureaucratic intransigency.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Welcome Canadians! http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...d-near-ramona/
Old November 13th 12, 01:29 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
gpsman

On Nov 12, 4:08*pm, AZ > wrote:
> I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the
> requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when
> you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.
> Any ideas?

Same as any POV anywhere in the US; license, registration, proof of
insurance.

I don't know what would lead you to believe anything else.
-----

- gpsman
Old November 13th 12, 02:10 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Steve W.[_6_]

AZ wrote:
> I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the
> requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when
> you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.
>
> I'm pretty sure they require both registration and insurance paperwork
> but I can't actually find anywhere on the CA DMV site where it actually
> says that for an out-of-state vehicle (and we all know CA laws are whacky
> - so who knows 'what' they require)?
>
> Any ideas?

Same as every other state.
Registration (or transfer paperwork W/copy of title, receipt of purchase),
Proof of insurance (if the state it's registered in requires insurance),
Proof of vehicle inspection (if the registration state requires it),
Valid drivers license.

--
Steve W.
Old November 13th 12, 02:31 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Scott Dorsey

gpsman > wrote:
>On Nov 12, 4:08=A0pm, AZ > wrote:
>> I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the
>> requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when
>> you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.
>> Any ideas?

>Same as any POV anywhere in the US; license, registration, proof of
>insurance.

Well, here in Virginia you don't need proof of insurance. It helps to
be white, though.
--scott
Old November 13th 12, 04:49 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
m6onz5a

On Nov 12, 9:31*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> gpsman > wrote:
> >On Nov 12, 4:08=A0pm, AZ > wrote:
> >> I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the
> >> requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when
> >> you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.
> >> Any ideas?

> >Same as any POV anywhere in the US; license, registration, proof of
> >insurance.

> Well, here in Virginia you don't need proof of insurance. *It helps to
> be white, though.
> --scott

Yep I got a Va. tag back in the 80's to avoid Md. inspection for a
year on my first car.
Old November 13th 12, 08:42 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Cha ching

"AZ" > wrote in message
>I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the
> requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when
> you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.
>
> I'm pretty sure they require both registration and insurance paperwork
> but I can't actually find anywhere on the CA DMV site where it actually
> says that for an out-of-state vehicle (and we all know CA laws are whacky
> - so who knows 'what' they require)?
>
> Any ideas?

In California, I think a Grant or two is almost mandatory. Maybe I'm
confusing that with Texas.

Old November 13th 12, 09:37 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Larry Sheldon

http://le.alcoda.org/publications/po...ffic_stops.pdf

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.