help! 95 XJ - growl at 40+ mph

Old July 23rd 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
paul

Default help! 95 XJ - growl at 40+ mph

Wife's 95 XJ - I6, automatic transmission

Previously there was a clicking at low speed and growl at higher speed,
inspection showed that both front axle U-joints were bad..... replaced them
this weekend (big thanks to Mike R. for the 'sacrificial bolt' trick and
Bill Hughes for http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/ - in the past I
managed to break 2 vises trying to do the receiver socket and press socket
trick - I don't care what Bill does with farm animals, or his grammatical
skills - he replies frequently and provides good links).

Went for a test drive after changing u-joints - immediately heard a clicking
noise (similar to a bad u-joint sound) - drive shaft joints showed no slop
when shafts are rocked back and forth. Over 40 mph and a growl is heard from
transmission area, shifting into neutral does not effect the noise, shifting
into 4 wheel drive increases the noise. Transmission fluid level is good and
no discoloration.

In 2 wheel drive if pressure is put on the transfer case shift lever, the
sound varies slightly - small vibration can be felt through the shift lever.

??????????

thanks
paul

Old July 23rd 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
paul

DOH!!!!
transfer case was VERY low on fluid,,,, apparent leak towards front. Is
there a seal that needs to be replaced? How difficult of a job is it?

thanks again
paul

Old July 23rd 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
paul

Double DOH and a YIKES!

Drained remaining fluid (less than a quart came out) noticed some very small
metal fines near the drain plug.
Added fluid and went for a test drive -- low speed click is still noticable,
growl is worse and vehicle is jerking when put into full time 4 wheel drive.

This is sounding serious (translate $$$$) any ideas?

thanks
paul

Old July 23rd 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Take the transfer case apart and see what is wrong with it. "Apparent leak
towards front" could be front output shaft or less likely input shaft.
Input shaft is inside the housing bolted to the transmission, and less
likely to leak, but you should try to find the exact source before removing
the transfer case. I don't know the exact capacity of the Selec-Trac case,
but Command-Trac is only one to one point five quarts, depending on model.
That means that you "probably" didn't damage the transfer case with low
fluid.

I imagine that there is gear or differential damage or at least something
expensive, but if you stop driving it immediately you may prevent the case
from grenading.

Earle

Old July 24th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You have 3 u-joints on the front driveshaft. I would remove that and
try driving it before I messed with the t-case.

Metal filings aren't a good sign though....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 24th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Mike,

Does he have three u-joints, or a CV joint and a single cross joint? The CV
joints have a centering gizmo that can make clicks and maybe growls when it
starts to go bad.

Earle

Old July 24th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Isn't it just a double cardan joint? That would be 2 U-joints in a
cage.

If the front u-joint(s) are bad, they can wreck the TC yoke seal from
vibration too.

Mike

Old July 24th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Some of them have a centering device inside the cage.

Old July 24th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
paul

Yes 3 u-joints on the front drive shaft (2 at transfer case end and 1 at
differential).
I will try disconnecting it and see what happens.
The filings are very small -- sliver like....... crossing fingers.

thanks
paul

Old July 25th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
paul

OK,
I removed the front drive shaft and the sounds was gone!!!!
BUT
if I put the transfer case into 4 wheel drive the sound returns....... so
I'm thinking that something to do with the front output???

For what it's worth, last winter when shifting into 4 wheel full time (this
is a Select-Trac NP242J) the shifting sequence goes thru 4 wheel part time
first and sometimes would want to 'hang' in part time, requiring a bit of a
yanking motion to engage full time 4 WD.

any more thoughts????

thank YOU
paul