MFFY cop

Old September 1st 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel

Default MFFY cop

had a VERY pleasant drive home from work today, assuming that you
consider torrential rain (thanks, Ernie) and idiot drivers "pleasant."
But the topper was the DC city cop that poked his nose into moving
traffic and forced six lanes of Bladensburg Road to come to a stop so
that he could cross the street without having to go around the block
like the rest of us would. Of course nobody wants to honk at or flip
off a cop... what an asshole. Didn't help my mood that not 30 seconds
before I'd been severely hacked off by some idiot in a Toyota who
apparently didn't know how to use either mirrors or signals.

At least the power is on. Usually if you sneeze on a light pole around
here the power goes out, so I'm thankful for the silver lining. If I'd
had to get back in the car and drive back to the girlie's place I
probably would have experienced postality. At least it looks like I may
be moving soon, so a) I won't have a 50 mile commute and b) I would
assume that in an actual urban area the utilities would be a little more
reliable...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old September 2nd 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Nate Nagel > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >had a VERY pleasant drive home from work today, assuming that you
> >consider torrential rain (thanks, Ernie) and idiot drivers "pleasant."
> >But the topper was the DC city cop that poked his nose into moving
> >traffic and forced six lanes of Bladensburg Road to come to a stop so
> >that he could cross the street without having to go around the block
> >like the rest of us would.

> As a bit of a counterbalance, yesterday I saw a cop actually merge
> correctlyfrom a lane that was closing into a through lane with heavy
> traffic. He *could have* done what MFFYs do - waited until the lane
> was comepletly gone and then forced his way into the through lane -
> but instead he selected a suitable gap well back from the merge point
> and merged in smoothly with no disruption of traffic.
>
> Now that's what I call setting a good example for the citizens.

He signaled... properly?!?! I have to say I doubt that.

When I see a cop signal at all it always takes me completely by
surprise, it's so rare IME. I can't recall seeing even one doing it
properly.

Maybe they assume all eyes are upon them since so many people ignore
traffic laws... but I still think cops are among the ****tiest drivers,
legally speaking.

It's a goddamn shame.
-----

- gpsman

Old September 2nd 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote:
> had a VERY pleasant drive home from work today, assuming that you
> consider torrential rain (thanks, Ernie) and idiot drivers "pleasant."
> But the topper was the DC city cop that poked his nose into moving
> traffic and forced six lanes of Bladensburg Road to come to a stop so
> that he could cross the street without having to go around the block
> like the rest of us would. Of course nobody wants to honk at or flip
> off a cop... what an asshole. Didn't help my mood that not 30 seconds
> before I'd been severely hacked off by some idiot in a Toyota who
> apparently didn't know how to use either mirrors or signals.
>
> At least the power is on. Usually if you sneeze on a light pole around
> here the power goes out, so I'm thankful for the silver lining. If I'd
> had to get back in the car and drive back to the girlie's place I
> probably would have experienced postality. At least it looks like I may
> be moving soon, so a) I won't have a 50 mile commute and b) I would
> assume that in an actual urban area the utilities would be a little more
> reliable...
>
> nate

Heh, I posted too soon. As soon as I posted that, the power started
going off and on (didn't affect my web surfing, as I'm on a laptop, and
my cable modem is off a UPS) and went off for good about 10:30. I'm
posting from the girlie's place now. I can't wait to move...

nate