1999 Caravan opinons

Old July 16th 05, 01:37 PM
snow

Default 1999 Caravan opinons

A local private seller has a 1999 Dodge Caravan SE for sale. Anyone have
good luck with this model year? This model has the V6 engine. I know there
have been tranny issues on some of these vans. It never happened with my
1992 which has 151,000 on original tranny. But maybe the 1999's have issues.
Any opinions appreciated. The 1999 has 90k on it, but I am not worried if it
has been maintanined well. I bought my 1992 at 88k seven years ago. It had
been taken care of by previous owner.

Old July 17th 05, 05:37 AM
Gene Poon

snow wrote:

> A local private seller has a 1999 Dodge Caravan SE for sale. Anyone have
> good luck with this model year? This model has the V6 engine. I know there
> have been tranny issues on some of these vans. It never happened with my
> 1992 which has 151,000 on original tranny. But maybe the 1999's have issues.
> Any opinions appreciated. The 1999 has 90k on it, but I am not worried if it
> has been maintanined well. I bought my 1992 at 88k seven years ago. It had
> been taken care of by previous owner.

A 1999 should have fewer transmission issues than a 1992, all other
things being equal. But are things REALLY equal? Your 1992 may have
the three-speed, and the 1999 almost certainly has the four-speed, which
was problematic when introduced in the late 80s, but has improved over
the years, to the point where it was about typical for reliability by
1995 or so.
Old July 17th 05, 06:37 AM
Road Warrior

snow wrote:

> A local private seller has a 1999 Dodge Caravan SE for sale. Anyone
> have good luck with this model year? This model has the V6 engine. I
> know there have been tranny issues on some of these vans. It never
> happened with my 1992 which has 151,000 on original tranny. But maybe
> the 1999's have issues. Any opinions appreciated. The 1999 has 90k
> on it, but I am not worried if it has been maintanined well. I bought
> my 1992 at 88k seven years ago. It had been taken care of by previous
> owner.

We have a '99 Grand Caravan Sport & are the original owners. The only
problem we've had in regards to the transmission was a leak due to a
gasket. That was at about 75k miles. It was covered under warranty, so
no biggie. Overall, I feel we've gotten good performance & reliability
from it. We've put close to 90k on it as well.
Old July 17th 05, 05:40 PM
drdecker

I bought a 1999 Plymouth Voyageur which is the sister vehicle. I was told
when I bought it that
they had corrected the transmission problem. I was
not even aware of this. I certainly didn't need any additional problems
after buying a 1995 Ford Windstar.Well I bought the warranty just to
ensure I didn't have any problems with it this time. Guess what happened!
Two weeks after buying it the transmission dropped out of it! I am glad i
had the extended warranty. It had 95000 KM which is about 60,000 miles on
it. I now have 187,000 km on it and the only major problem that I have had
with it is always replacing bearings in the front end. I am told that is
because they stopped
putting grease nipples on them so it would not be constantly greased and
would wear out faster.

Old July 17th 05, 10:07 PM
JC

Snow,

I have a 99 with the 3.3 liter motor. All in all for what it is, this
Caravan is a good value for the money. Sure there are some issues with these
vehicles. I will only list what I've experienced with mine (excluding normal
stuff like brakes wearing out, rotors, wipers, etc):

Brake issue at 32,000 miles; rear wheel cylinders leaking brake fluid
ruining the "like new" rear shoes

Battery failed at 50,000 miles (very good life for OEM battery)

Transmission input sensor failed at 62,000 miles

Serpentine belt fell off at 83,000 miles (no warning, or squeaks before
failure). Eventually had to replace belt, tensioner, and water pump. I used
aftermarket tensioner from Riley's. The AutoZone and OEM are junk. The one I
used has a spring with large round wire instead of a flat ribbon spring.
This is a MUST PAY ATTENTION TO IT ISSUE. If you ignore this, the belt may
pop off pretty much anytime it gets wet. Having good pulley alignment is
essential, and all new parts don't guarantee it. For such a big issue,
mother mopar forgot to include this in the PM guide. When the belt pops off,
you lose power steering immediately, and then over heat in about 5 minutes
if you don't shut down. It happened to me when taking my wife to the ER
during a medical emergency. Not good.

You will get help from this group with issues if you are a do it your self
repairman, or maybe if you want to be more informed so that you can ask
intelligent questions from whoever your mechanic might be.

One caution though, there are those here who take it very personal when you
vent about some aspect about a Dodge. The response you get just might make a
sailor blush.

Good Luck with that Dodge,
Jim

"snow" > wrote in message
>A local private seller has a 1999 Dodge Caravan SE for sale. Anyone have
>good luck with this model year? This model has the V6 engine. I know there
>have been tranny issues on some of these vans. It never happened with my
>1992 which has 151,000 on original tranny. But maybe the 1999's have
>issues. Any opinions appreciated. The 1999 has 90k on it, but I am not
>worried if it has been maintanined well. I bought my 1992 at 88k seven
>years ago. It had been taken care of by previous owner.

1999 Caravan Serpentine Belt Issue Jim Candela Dodge 85 December 27th 05 10:05 PM
1999 grand caravan gizzie Dodge 6 November 11th 04 05:50 AM
1999 Dodge Grand Caravan zoom16v Dodge 8 October 17th 04 12:55 PM