Fish only tank - nutrients export

Old April 8th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

Default Fish only tank - nutrients export

Aside of reef tanks and fish only tanks with a lots of live rock,
what are the methods of nutrients export in a fish only tank?

By nutrients export I mean removing accumulating nitrates,
phosphates and maybe some organic waste fish produce...

I know skimming with a skimmer and water changes...
Any other ways for nutrient export ?
Old April 8th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

Pszemol wrote:
Aside of reef tanks and fish only tanks with a lots of live rock,
what are the methods of nutrients export in a fish only tank?

By nutrients export I mean removing accumulating nitrates,
phosphates and maybe some organic waste fish produce...

I know skimming with a skimmer and water changes...
Any other ways for nutrient export ?

There are chemicals which can be placed in mechanical filters (like cannister
filters) that remove phosphates or nitrates. Some of them can be dried and
reused; others are a one-shot deal. There are also "sponges" that can be floated
in your tank for a while to remove phosphates or nitrates. I haven't seen a
product that removes both, but one may exist.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old April 13th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.misc

Pszemol wrote:
Aside of reef tanks and fish only tanks with a lots of live rock,
what are the methods of nutrients export in a fish only tank?

By nutrients export I mean removing accumulating nitrates,
phosphates and maybe some organic waste fish produce...

I know skimming with a skimmer and water changes...
Any other ways for nutrient export ?

One of the best ways is an algea filter (refug) with algea harvesting.

Kim

goldfish question [email protected] General 29 January 30th 06 06:59 AM
Cycling a 29g tank Rodney M General 32 December 18th 05 04:02 PM
PHYSICAL symptoms of overstocking Gfishery General 26 April 15th 05 09:38 PM
San Diego Tropical Fish Society, July 11th, Guest Speaker SanDiegoFishes Cichlids 0 July 7th 04 03:01 AM
My first 1.5 years in fish keeping & the costs when you do everything wrong [LONG] George Thompson Goldfish 4 January 5th 04 07:14 PM