Deteriorating ride on 98 Ram

Old November 26th 04, 04:18 PM
davee

Default Deteriorating ride on 98 Ram

Hello all. I have a 98 Ram 1500 4x4, standard cab. It has about 91000
miles on it. It developed a heavy, dull ’thumping’ sound on bumps,
not big bumps, sometimes just the tar lines on the highway and is felt
mostly in the floorboards, and with a bit of a feeling of looseness or
wandering in the steering. Knowing that the shocks and tires were both
getting a bit long in the tooth, and with winter coming on, while in
for a scheduled brake job I had the shocks replaced, and 4 new tires
installed. The front end and suspension was checked and inspected.
Now with the work done, while the ride is much improved, the
’thumping’ sound is still there, and occasionally a feeling like the
truck is wandering a bit, especially if there is some roughness to the
road. Went back in and they rotated the tires but it changed nothing.
They re-inspected the suspension, under carriage, and
tranny/motor/cab/bed mounts and assure me that everything is tight and
there is no indication or wear, bottoming out, etc. Anyone have any
guesses on what might be behind the thump? The best way I can think
of to describe it is if a shock was totally gone and there was a lot
of bounce and slapping from one wheel. The sound of it is usually much
greater than the actual feeling, and if on a nice, smooth road, it’s
not felt/heard at all. Thanks!

Topic URL: http://www.AutoForumz.com/Dodge-Dete...pict81815.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?p=366639
Old November 26th 04, 10:20 PM
James C. Reeves

Even though you said that the front suspension was checked, have the pittman
arm checked for the "wandering" problem.

Old November 26th 04, 10:20 PM
James C. Reeves

Old November 28th 04, 02:19 AM
Big Poppa Pump

You might also look at your sway bar bushings, they can give a similar noise
and feel if deteriorated.

Old November 28th 04, 02:19 AM
Big Poppa Pump

Old December 1st 04, 10:16 PM
davee

"user616" wrote:
> You might also look at your sway bar bushings, they can give a
> similar noise
> and feel if deteriorated.
>
> "davee" > wrote in message
> > Hello all. I have a 98 Ram 1500 4x4, standard cab. It has

> about 91000
> > miles on it. It developed a heavy, dull 'thumping' sound on

> bumps,
> > not big bumps, sometimes just the tar lines on the highway

> and is felt
> > mostly in the floorboards, and with a bit of a feeling of

> looseness or
> > wandering in the steering. Knowing that the shocks and tires

> were both
> > getting a bit long in the tooth, and with winter coming on,

> while in
> > for a scheduled brake job I had the shocks replaced, and 4

> new tires
> > installed. The front end and suspension was checked and

> inspected.
> > Now with the work done, while the ride is much improved, the
> > 'thumping' sound is still there, and occasionally a feeling

> like the
> > truck is wandering a bit, especially if there is some

> roughness to the
> > road. Went back in and they rotated the tires but it

> changed nothing.
> > They re-inspected the suspension, under carriage, and
> > tranny/motor/cab/bed mounts and assure me that everything is

> tight and
> > there is no indication or wear, bottoming out, etc. Anyone

> have any
> > guesses on what might be behind the thump? The best way I

> can think
> > of to describe it is if a shock was totally gone and there

> was a lot
> > of bounce and slapping from one wheel. The sound of it is

> usually much
> > greater than the actual feeling, and if on a nice, smooth

> road, it's
> > not felt/heard at all. Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > http://www.AutoForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request

> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.AutoForumz.com/Dodge-Dete...pict81815.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

> abuse:
> > http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?p=366639

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Turns out the problem was the track
bar... *lots* of play in it. They just don’t know how they missed
that when they did the work. And most of the noise from the back end?
They somehow managed to get the right rear shock cockeyed in the upper
mount when they installed it so they say. Top of the new shock got
really mangled, so they replaced them again. Now even at 92000 miles
the kidney massaging ride has stopped, and I again can gawk at the
pretty girls without running up on the curb. But I think I’ll be
avoiding that particular service department in the future.
Thanks again!

Topic URL: http://www.AutoForumz.com/Dodge-Dete...pict81815.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?p=419200
Old December 1st 04, 10:16 PM
davee

"user616" wrote:
> [...]

> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.AutoForumz.com/Dodge-Dete...pict81815.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

> abuse:
> > http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?p=366639

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Turns out the problem was the track
bar... *lots* of play in it. They just don’t know how they missed
that when they did the work. And most of the noise from the back end?
They somehow managed to get the right rear shock cockeyed in the upper
mount when they installed it so they say. Top of the new shock got
really mangled, so they replaced them again. Now even at 92000 miles
the kidney massaging ride has stopped, and I again can gawk at the
pretty girls without running up on the curb. But I think I’ll be
avoiding that particular service department in the future.

528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 06:38 PM
Wheel Size and Ride Comfort? Bob BMW 4 December 23rd 04 02:00 PM
selective ride? TF Corvette 2 September 24th 04 11:59 PM
engine stall during ride ton Alfa Romeo 0 June 12th 04 09:33 PM