1977 chrysler lebaron lean burn question

Old August 6th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default 1977 chrysler lebaron lean burn question

i just picked up a 1977 lebaron with the 318 2bbl carb and lean burn
ignition.

im getting ready to tear off the lean burn crap but i have a few
questions.

i have a mopar electronic ignition conversion kit, but dont know if i
can modify the carb on there, or just buy a new one. what should i do?
can you also direct me to a part number for a new carb that will work
on there?

im used to working on imports, and this is my first domestic... ive
seen the light and dont want to go back

any advice would be great

also, could you possibly give me some links to look at that might have
more info on them about removing the lean burn?

Old August 6th 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sqdancerLynn[_1_]

Does yours still have the big Computer hanging off the air cleaner ?. As I
remember the lean burn came with a 4bbl thermoQuad. The factory used to
swap a two BBL carb/manifold for the lean burn because it was such a
problem. They used a carter BBD style carb. Any 2bbl from a mid 70's 318
should work. I have several 4bbls that will work if you want to change the
intake manifold, several NON lean buurn thermoquads & a aftermarket #9636
Cry specific Carter AFB in good shape, also a factory 77 service manual

Old August 6th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nirodac

"sqdancerLynn" > wrote in
lkaboutautos
..com:

> Does yours still have the big Computer hanging off the air
> cleaner ?. As I remember the lean burn came with a 4bbl
> thermoQuad. The factory used to swap a two BBL
> carb/manifold for the lean burn because it was such a
> problem. They used a carter BBD style carb. Any 2bbl from a
> mid 70's 318 should work. I have several 4bbls that will
> work if you want to change the intake manifold, several NON
> lean buurn thermoquads & a aftermarket #9636 Cry specific
> Carter AFB in good shape, also a factory 77 service manual

Be careful of which carb you get.

When the dealer replaced the LEan burn on my 80 Lebaron 318, he
installed one that didn't have a vaccum advance port. Oh the
port was there, it just wasn't connected internally in the carb.
So while all the hoses looked correct, there was no vaccum. The
car ran for two years with no vaccum advance (mostly stayed
parked, till I inherited it). The two part numbers where
virtually identical, except for the suffix.
You will need to change the dist. The Lean burn used an
electronic controlled dist. You need a vaccum controlled dist.
The dealer at least got the dist right. Using help from posters
on this NG, I did get everything working eventually.
There is a site with instructions on how to change out the lean
burn for conventional. I can't find it right now, you might try
to goggle it. I'll see if I can find it later.
To start with, try www.allpar.com

Old August 6th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

2 bbl might have been a Rochester model. Also a great source would be
www.dippy.org Dodge Diplomat Farley's Page.

A '77 Chrysler Le Baron would be the same as an 82, 83 2bbl Dodge
Diplomat or Chrysler Fifth Avenue. All have the same body style, they
are "M bodies".

In California because of very stringent rules about smog modifications
such as stripping off lean burn computer would violate state smog
rules. Problem is lean burn computers are often faulty and don't do
the job properly and you fail sniffer test; though you won't have
visual/tampering failures as long as all the hardware is on correctly.

Steve

Old August 7th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sqdancerLynn[_1_]

The modification was legal in Ca per CARB ONLY if done by the dealer,
Didn't mention dist because he is already changing it. Had a 77 Aspen
Wagon with lean burn system, bought it super cheap in 1990? as a fixer
upper Ended up Junking the body.
A friend has a 71 Charger special ordered from factory 440/6pk IT
wouldn't pass the tailpipe sniffer even when it was brand new. Haven't
seen him in 5 years last I knew he still had it. IT had like 40k original
miles

Old August 10th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
crioten

cool, thanks for the info....

where is the best place to get those? id rather order it from the net,
so any web sites would be great

thanks again

Old August 16th 06, 08:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sqdancerLynn[_1_]

Back to your original post. Change the dist & install the electronic ign,
see how it runs.. I have not see that manny lean burn systems. The one's I
have seen & THE 77 factory book diagrams show it as using a 4bbl thermoquad
carb IF you indead have a two bbl carb, part of it may have already been
eliminated