93 Corvette Clutch issue

Old September 12th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jim[_14_]

Default 93 Corvette Clutch issue

Please excuse the length of this topic. I am totally stumped and have
tried just about everything I can think of to solve my problem (hence
the length). I have a 93 Corvette with the ZF-6 manual transmission.
The car is totally stock with 50K miles. I've owned it for 18 months.
Right after I purchased the car I noticed the clutch pedal was
difficult to depress and it didn't shift well. Two shops said I needed
a new pressure plate. Last summer I changed the pressure plate, disk,
throwout bearing and pilot bushing. It approved the shifting. However
as I drive the car the clutch pedal stiffens up and the car does not
shift as well. I've changed every possible part I can imagine. Here
is a list:

Clutch master (twice)
Clutch slave (three times - did run into a manufactures defeat on two
of the units)
Braided clutch line
Clutch pedal pivot bushings
Throwout fork
Pivot ball
Pressure plate (twice)
Clutch disk (twice)
Throwout bearing (twice)
Pilot bearing

The throwout bearing guide tube is in great shape with no ridge or
scuffing. I've literally been battling this problem for 18 months. I
am totally stumped. Has anyone ever come across this scenario or does
anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Old September 12th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Walker[_1_]

Jim wrote:
> Please excuse the length of this topic. I am totally stumped and have
> tried just about everything I can think of to solve my problem (hence
> the length). I have a 93 Corvette with the ZF-6 manual transmission.
> The car is totally stock with 50K miles. I've owned it for 18 months.
> Right after I purchased the car I noticed the clutch pedal was
> difficult to depress and it didn't shift well. Two shops said I needed
> a new pressure plate. Last summer I changed the pressure plate, disk,
> throwout bearing and pilot bushing. It approved the shifting. However
> as I drive the car the clutch pedal stiffens up and the car does not
> shift as well. I've changed every possible part I can imagine. Here
> is a list:
>
> Clutch master (twice)
> Clutch slave (three times - did run into a manufactures defeat on two
> of the units)
> Braided clutch line
> Clutch pedal pivot bushings
> Throwout fork
> Pivot ball
> Pressure plate (twice)
> Clutch disk (twice)
> Throwout bearing (twice)
> Pilot bearing
>
> The throwout bearing guide tube is in great shape with no ridge or
> scuffing. I've literally been battling this problem for 18 months. I
> am totally stumped. Has anyone ever come across this scenario or does
> anyone have any advice?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Jim

Try bleeding the system, with the car cold. Then wrap the line with
header wrap. You may be boiling the fluid, causing bubbles,which don't
compress good, and the clutch doesn't depress fully. Also use the
highest temperature rated fluid you can get for that system.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Old September 12th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kaz Kylheku

Jim wrote:
> I've changed every possible part I can imagine.

Nope! I see you haven't mentioned having done anything with the pedal
and its linkage. Your stiff pedal could be caused by something sticking
in the pedal assembly itself. The shifting difficulty could also be
attributed to a need for adjustment in the pedal.

Let's see: tt's probably a blockage in the hydraulics, since you
changed both cylinders and the line between them, right? It's probably
not a problem with the clutch release mechanism including the pressure
plate and disk, since all were serviced or replaced. What does that
leave?

Old September 12th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_129_]

Kaz Kylheku Wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > I've changed every possible part I can imagine.

> Nope! I see you haven't mentioned having done anything with the pedal
> and its linkage. Your stiff pedal could be caused by something sticking
> in the pedal assembly itself. The shifting difficulty could also be
> attributed to a need for adjustment in the pedal.
>
> Let's see: tt's probably a blockage in the hydraulics, since you
> changed both cylinders and the line between them, right? It's probably
> not a problem with the clutch release mechanism including the pressure
> plate and disk, since all were serviced or replaced. What does that
> leave?

Boiling hydros will give you a mushy, ineffective pedal, not a
difficult one....

I too though about the pedal linkage and pivot, I had a Chevy tow truck
that had a very stiff clutch pedal action with questionable clutch
disengagement, you had to toe it through the carpet to get it to
disengage sometimes, and it seemed to get worse the farther you
drove...after some adjustments failed to change anything signifigantly
I noticed the clutch pedal pivot bar was actually moving around in it's
bushings, negating pedal travel...had to disassemble it and replace the
worn components...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 12th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_130_]

However, I'm not suggesting you ignore the advice to insulate the lines
from the exhaust heat, sounds like an excellent idea to me...some DOT 4
synthetic fluid will work nicely, and resist boiling/moisture breakdown.

Don't use DOT 5, you have to flush the system several times with
denatured alcohol before installing, and it doesn't mix with other DOT
fluid types, so has to be kept DOT 5 or there will be trouble if
contamination occurs. DOT 4 is the best thing since sliced bread, brake
fluid wise...

Old September 12th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kaz Kylheku

Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> Let's see: tt's probably a blockage in the hydraulics, since you

Strange. Should read "it's probably not a ..."

Old September 12th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jim[_14_]

Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> > Let's see: tt's probably a blockage in the hydraulics, since you

> Strange. Should read "it's probably not a ..."

Thanks for all the thoughts. In response to a few of the questions,
you are correct I changed the master, slave and hydraulic line at least
once. I also changed the plastic bushings located in the pedal pivot
shaft (however the old ones looked good). I thought about air in the
system or boiling fluid as well. However I thought that would lead to
a spungy pedal instead of a stiff one. Have you ever run into the
opposite situation where the hot fluid actually enlarges the seals and
makes the pedal stiffer? I'm also wondering if the driver's side CAT
is running hot for some reason and thus causing excessive heat by the
line and/or slave? The car runs great at about 195 degrees. I've been
using the GM hydraulic fluid since it contains some additives for the
seals.

I am stumped.

Jim

Old September 12th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_131_]

Jim Wrote:
> . Have you ever run into the
> opposite situation where the hot fluid actually enlarges the seals and
> makes the pedal stiffer?
> Jim

I won't say it couldn't happen, but I've seen brake hydros so
overheated from dragging linings and seized components that fluid
actually exploded out of the resevoir when the cap was opened, and they
just had no pedal (on the floor)

Old September 12th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> I've changed every possible part I can imagine.

> Nope! I see you haven't mentioned having done anything with the pedal
> and its linkage. Your stiff pedal could be caused by something sticking
> in the pedal assembly itself. The shifting difficulty could also be
> attributed to a need for adjustment in the pedal.
>
> Let's see: tt's probably a blockage in the hydraulics, since you
> changed both cylinders and the line between them, right? It's probably
> not a problem with the clutch release mechanism including the pressure
> plate and disk, since all were serviced or replaced. What does that
> leave?

FWIW, the 84 Fieros had an aluminum pedal assembly that was prone to
bending over time... are there any recalls/TSB's on 93 Vette clutch pedals?

Old September 13th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Walker[_1_]

Jim wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>> Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>>> Let's see: tt's probably a blockage in the hydraulics, since you

>> Strange. Should read "it's probably not a ..."

> Thanks for all the thoughts. In response to a few of the questions,
> you are correct I changed the master, slave and hydraulic line at least
> once. I also changed the plastic bushings located in the pedal pivot
> shaft (however the old ones looked good). I thought about air in the
> system or boiling fluid as well. However I thought that would lead to
> a spungy pedal instead of a stiff one. Have you ever run into the
> opposite situation where the hot fluid actually enlarges the seals and
> makes the pedal stiffer? I'm also wondering if the driver's side CAT
> is running hot for some reason and thus causing excessive heat by the
> line and/or slave? The car runs great at about 195 degrees. I've been
> using the GM hydraulic fluid since it contains some additives for the
> seals.
>
> I am stumped.
>
> Jim

My understanding was that it shifted hard, not caused the clutch pedal
to get stiffer. My mistake.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)