86 accord dx w/ carb

Old September 11th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Glenn[_1_]

Default 86 accord dx w/ carb

i have an 86 accord and am a rough time with it. the car seems to be
maybe misfiring or something. when in gear the car idle low and feels
like an old v8 and sputters. for example, put put put put. it also runs
like is misfireing with the rps up, but it still drives almost
normally, except tries to stall when i take off. ive changed the plugs,
wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, and have checked the distr. cap and
rotor, and compression. i cannot find any vaccum leaks, but believe
that there is a good possibility that vaccum is a problem. If anyone
has any idea of my problem could be, please let me know. i would really
apreciate it .

Old September 12th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion[_1_]

Glenn wrote:
> i have an 86 accord and am a rough time with it. the car seems to be
> maybe misfiring or something. when in gear the car idle low and feels
> like an old v8 and sputters. for example, put put put put. it also runs
> like is misfireing with the rps up, but it still drives almost
> normally, except tries to stall when i take off. ive changed the plugs,
> wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, and have checked the distr. cap and
> rotor, and compression. i cannot find any vaccum leaks, but believe
> that there is a good possibility that vaccum is a problem. If anyone
> has any idea of my problem could be, please let me know. i would really
> apreciate it .

My '87 had a vacuum leak in the advance diaphragm, which was both causing rough
running because of the leak, and poor acceleration because the advance wasn't
working. Being inside the diaphragm, it was also virtually inaudible. I found
it when checking the timing - part of the test is to remove and pinch off the
advance hose, and when I did that, the running smoothed out.

What you can try doing, is one at a time, GENTLY pinching off the vacuum lines
at their origins at the carb throttle body and intake manifold, and see if your
idle smooths out. If you find one that affects it, you can follow it
downstream, pinching again after any branch points, until you find the leak.