MIL is on, code shows 456

Old May 3rd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default MIL is on, code shows 456

Small leak in the evaporative system has been detected.

Evaporative system extends beyond the gas tank I am assuming.

Any help is appreciated.

Was MIL is on, possible causes.

The MIL or check engine light on 2002 Voyager 4 cylinder came on three weeks
ago. I took the car (mother in law's car) to local shop. They read the
code and it said the gas tank sensor was reading loss of pressure. I
bought her a new gas cap and cleared the reading. Three days ago, the
light came back on. My mechanic friend said he was not very familiar with
Voyagers (Chrysler).

Any clues beside taking it to dealer. Nearest dealer is 75 miles away.

Thanks

Old May 3rd 06, 10:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Replace or retighten your gas cap.
Coasty

news

Old May 3rd 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Done with new gas cap. Light stayed off for 300 miles and came back on.

Thanks,

. ..

Old May 3rd 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"retiredusarmy" > wrote in message
news
> Small leak in the evaporative system has been detected.
>
> Evaporative system extends beyond the gas tank I am assuming.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Was MIL is on, possible causes.
>
> The MIL or check engine light on 2002 Voyager 4 cylinder came on three
weeks
> ago. I took the car (mother in law's car) to local shop. They read the
> code and it said the gas tank sensor was reading loss of pressure. I
> bought her a new gas cap and cleared the reading. Three days ago, the
> light came back on. My mechanic friend said he was not very familiar with
> Voyagers (Chrysler).
>
> Any clues beside taking it to dealer. Nearest dealer is 75 miles away.
>
> Thanks

The correct way to locate the leak now is by doing a smoke test, its a
special machine that injects smoke into the system and any leaks will be
found.
But before you have someone do that remove the air cleaner assembly
including the bottom piece, there is an evaporative hose that comes up from
the frame (steel) and connects to a plastic hose by a one inch piece of
rubber hose. Take a good look at that rubber hose for a crack, if it is
replace it.

--
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech