95 5.0 stalls out after warming up....

Old April 20th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 95 5.0 stalls out after warming up....

When my 95 gt heats up the rpms bounce when it idles until it starts rising to about 1300 rpms and falling to 500 then it dies. The other day i drove it for a while and it got so hot it just cut off, the gauges didnt say it was overheating so i tried to crank it, i hit the gas and it just sputtered a little, the rpms wouldnt go up then it made a back firing noise under the hood, not out the exhaust, like a popping, and i had to come back and get it a couple hours later after it cooled down.

Do you think it messed anything up, and whats wrong with it?
someon suggested some module by the distributor cap, but i dont even know the name of it

please help. i need to fix it.

--
brokensilence788

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-406965.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old April 20th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

hey i was just talking about something that sounds similar. mechanic told
me that my fuel pump is bad. might be your problem too.

Old April 21st 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

brokensilence788 > wrote:

> When my 95 gt heats up the rpms bounce when it idles until it starts
> rising to about 1300 rpms and falling to 500 then it dies. The other
> day i drove it for a while and it got so hot it just cut off, the
> gauges didnt say it was overheating so i tried to crank it, i hit the
> gas and it just sputtered a little, the rpms wouldnt go up then it
> made a back firing noise under the hood, not out the exhaust, like a
> popping, and i had to come back and get it a couple hours later after
> it cooled down.
>
> Do you think it messed anything up, and whats wrong with it?
> someon suggested some module by the distributor cap, but i dont even
> know the name of it
>
> please help. i need to fix it.

When you say 'the RPM's bounce', are you hearing the engine speed change
at the same time? You arent very clear on that.

If NOT, then get a TFI.. module on side of Distributor ( I thought the 95
had the 4.6????) Make sure you lube it fresh.

If Engine speed changes, in line with the tach reading:
Did you have cold starting/idle problems any time in the recent past? If
so, almost surely the IAC...

If you dont know what these things are.. and dont want your car to spend
mucho time in the shop, GET A BOOK!

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old April 21st 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> brokensilence788 > wrote:
>

>> When my 95 gt heats up the rpms bounce when it idles until it starts
>> rising to about 1300 rpms and falling to 500 then it dies. The other
>> day i drove it for a while and it got so hot it just cut off, the
>> gauges didnt say it was overheating so i tried to crank it, i hit the
>> gas and it just sputtered a little, the rpms wouldnt go up then it
>> made a back firing noise under the hood, not out the exhaust, like a
>> popping, and i had to come back and get it a couple hours later after
>> it cooled down.
>>
>> Do you think it messed anything up, and whats wrong with it?
>> someon suggested some module by the distributor cap, but i dont even
>> know the name of it
>>
>> please help. i need to fix it.
>>

> When you say 'the RPM's bounce', are you hearing the engine speed change
> at the same time? You arent very clear on that.
>
> If NOT, then get a TFI.. module on side of Distributor ( I thought the 95
> had the 4.6????) Make sure you lube it fresh.

'94 and '95 were the last years of the 5.0. When my TFI went out, the car
gave no signs of failure, it just cut out and wouldn't restart. After an
hour or so, it started up as normal.

Does his description sound as if the engine isn't getting enough air?

dwight

Old April 22nd 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"dwight" > wrote:

>> When you say 'the RPM's bounce', are you hearing the engine speed
>> change at the same time? You arent very clear on that.
>>
>> If NOT, then get a TFI.. module on side of Distributor ( I thought
>> the 95 had the 4.6????) Make sure you lube it fresh.

> '94 and '95 were the last years of the 5.0. When my TFI went out, the
> car gave no signs of failure, it just cut out and wouldn't restart.
> After an hour or so, it started up as normal.
>
> Does his description sound as if the engine isn't getting enough air?

If the engine speed varies widely, and tach needle follows then look at
IAC (or vacuum leak near engine). In Mid nineties - they werent real
long-life. The two-piece IAC's of mid eighties were more bullet-proof.

If needle jumps around , engine speed doesnt, it's likely the TFI or
pickup or bad wiring.

If no tach bounce on crank, it's the TFI.

you pay..DEAL with it!

91 Plymouth Acclaim stalls Daniel J. Stern Technology 0 June 28th 05 04:37 PM
1991 Civic Stalls Paul Honda 5 June 14th 05 11:23 PM
1991 Civic Stalls Paul Technology 6 June 14th 05 11:23 PM
92 Buick Regal GS 3.8L V6 stalls stymied Technology 10 March 17th 05 05:19 AM