How easily should rear axels spin??

Old July 24th 05, 05:17 AM
gary

Default How easily should rear axels spin??

2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums to
have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue spinning
if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.

Thanks
Gary

Old July 24th 05, 01:38 PM
Matt Whiting

gary wrote:

> 2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums to
> have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
> friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue spinning
> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.
>
> Thanks
> Gary

It is normal. As long as there is no play and the bearings aren't
noisy, you are fine.

Matt
Old July 24th 05, 01:39 PM
Matt Whiting

Sarge wrote:

> "gary" wrote: "2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels
> and drums to have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both
> sides there is friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not
> continue spinning
> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle."
>
> Won't hurt.
>
> Sarge

It'll hurt your wallet replacing things that don't need to be replaced.

Matt
Old July 24th 05, 02:05 PM
N8N

gary wrote:
> 2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums to
> have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
> friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue spinning
> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.
>
> Thanks
> Gary

Probably wouldn't hurt to re*pack* the bearings but unless they look
bad no need to replace them. The friction is probably from the brakes
dragging anyway which is normal.

nate

Old July 24th 05, 04:21 PM
« Paul »

gary wrote:

> 2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums to
> have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
> friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue spinning
> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should I
> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.
>
> Thanks
> Gary

The bearings are packed with grease. The hubs by themselves won't spin
because of the grease. Not enough mass.
Old July 24th 05, 09:11 PM
gary

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> gary wrote:
>> 2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums
>> have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
>> friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue
>> spinning
>> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should
>> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gary

> Probably wouldn't hurt to re*pack* the bearings but unless they look
> bad no need to replace them. the friction is probably from the brakes
> dragging anyway which is normal.
>
> nate

How would the brakes affect them if the drums are off?

Old July 24th 05, 09:12 PM
gary

No play there, no noise, thanks for the info.

Gary

Old July 24th 05, 09:12 PM
gary

That is what it feels like. They spin easier with the tires on. Thx

Gary

"« Paul »" <"=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul
> wrote in message
> gary wrote:
>>
>> 2000 grand caravan drum brakes rear. I pulled off the wheels and drums
>> have look at the brakes and gave the hubs a spin. On both sides there is
>> friction, i.e. they do not spin unhindered. They will not continue
>> spinning
>> if you give them a spin they stop immediately. Is this normal or should
>> replace the wheel bearings. 125,000KM on the vehicle.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gary

> the bearings are packed with grease. the hubs by themselves won't spin
> because of the grease. Not enough mass.

Rear Door Locks (Was Bought a new Malibu MAXX, my opinions?) James C. Reeves Driving 5 February 6th 05 05:55 PM
Rear Diff Q for 320i coupe 1994/M Lordy BMW 8 January 31st 05 02:14 PM
Noise from rear on a 63 Gunnar Corvette 3 January 25th 05 12:57 AM
BMW E65 Rear monitor Paul Aspinall BMW 1 November 5th 04 12:52 AM
Rear amped speakers vitonxl Audi 1 October 17th 04 08:38 PM