British traffic signal lights

Old July 22nd 05, 02:41 PM
Ted B.

> I bet if the red-yellow were implemented here, we'd see less red light
> running, reason being that people will get more ****ed off and honk
> more often at RLRs because they're already ready to go when the RLR
> flies in front of their nose...
>
> 'course a few of them might get creamed in the process, but such is
> life...
>
> nate
>
> (they deserve it)

Actually, it would have the effect of lowering the frequency of people
sleeping on green. -Dave

Old July 22nd 05, 02:49 PM
Ted B.

> wrote in message
>I does mean get ready to go and once you have passed your test there is no
>need to have the emergency brake while seating at traffic lights and 99% of
>people do not do this.
>
> I loved the comment about since most cars are manual, it amazes how many
> america drivers take forever to move when the light turns green and the
> intersection is clear and I know that they are driving an automatic. I
> think this why it takes two tries to get through traffic lights and it
> does not help that 99% of the roadways use traffic lights and stop signs.

Well, the automatic tranny doesn't help much. A manual tranny will clear an
intersection (from a dead stop) faster, every time, unless the driver is
totally incompetent. I agree that there are way too many traffic lights and
stop signs over here. One stop sign in particular that I hit every day on
the way home is ultra annoying. It's on a 50MPH road that merges into a
55MPH road, running roughly parallel in the same direction. Traffic on BOTH
roads is doing about 60MPH (usually), and traffic approaching the merge
point can see traffic approaching on the other roadway for a good half mile.
So you go 60MPH approaching merge point, see that there is NO TRAFFIC ON THE
OTHER ROAD, come to a complete stop, see that THERE IS STILL NO TRAFFIC ON
THE OTHER ROAD, then accelerate back to 60MPH. Talk about a waste of time
and fuel. And people wonder why pollution is such a huge problem. -Dave

Old July 22nd 05, 05:07 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 wrote:

> I does mean get ready to go and once you have passed your test there is
> no need to have the emergency brake while seating at traffic lights and
> 99% of people do not do this.

Believe it or not, there are complaints being registered with British
authorities about glare from brake lights of vehicles waiting at red
lights. There's a public outcry against what is considered the lazy and
improper procedure of using the service brake rather than the
emergency/parking/handbrake at red lights.

The amusing thing is that UK-spec (ECE) brake lights are permitted to be
only a little over half as intense as US-spec (SAE) brake lights.

> I loved the comment about since most cars are manual, it amazes how many
> america drivers take forever to move when the light turns green and the
> intersection is clear and I know that they are driving an automatic.

Why should this amaze you? Americans don't pay attention to their driving,
and even when they do, hesitation is warranted as there is always the
likelihood that some other bubbleheaded bleach-blonde (of either sex) will
be too busy yacking on a celphone or too self-impressed with his choice of
SUV to be bothered stopping for the opposing red light,

> think this why it takes two tries to get through traffic lights and it
> does not help that 99% of the roadways use traffic lights and stop
> signs.

Um...huh? There are no intersections with "traffic lights and stop signs".
It's one or the other.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:09 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Pooh Bear wrote:

> There is actually several seconds pause when all lights are red to allow
> the junction to clear in the UK.

In North America, clearance time (during which all traffic has a red
light) is an optional and variable traffic light mode. Colorado has had
clearance time built into all intersections for at least two and a half
decades. I learned to drive there and did so for many years. When I moved
to Oregon, it was a real shock to discover that there's no such clearance
time there. Ditto many intersections in Michigan, and many in Ontario.

Relatively long yellows and a few seconds' clearance time are known and
robustly shown to cut red-light running and related injury, death and
property damage dramatically, usually down to negligible levels. That we
mess around with any other "countermeasure" is telling and sad.

Old July 23rd 05, 08:26 AM

Opps I meant to say OR forgive me for a little mistake and the prev posts
seem to have understood what I meant.

Actually never heard of an outcry about brake lights and nearly all the
people I know over in the UK which is many do not use the emergency brake
and I used to live there for 28 years of my life and 11 was driving. Also
most people do not really apply the emergency brake on a hill unless rather
steep, as we have nearly all master moving off the help by knowing when the
clutch bite point.

Also I did say it still takes them sometime to move even after the
intersection is CLEAR. I have to disagree with the manual been faster as I
have both and it's amazing just take the foot off the brake and hit the
accelerator pedal and away you go instead of release the clutch until bite
point is reached, then release brake, press accelerator and release clutch o
that seems like a lit bit longer. Plus when driving an auto make sure you
press the accelerator pedal more than 1mm usually to the floor is good.

I love the people you also are 2 footed drivers and rest there foot on the
brake pedal and wonder why they need an oil and brake pad change every 3000
miles, my wife and I cannot stop laughing when we see that one.

O and I love how people are just driving along and feel the need to hit the
brake which causes everyone else to brake since they are not looking 10
seconds ahead and then you have a lovely traffic slow down. Well that's
what happens in WA state and I have lived here 4 years. CA state did not
notice it too much but I only lived there for 5 months and it was out in the
country.

Well that's my main problems with driving in the U.S and that's a weight off
my back at least until I have to go to work I guess I need to get back to
the Scotland as driving here is driving me nuts

.umich.edu...

Old July 24th 05, 02:20 AM
Dave

Pooh Bear wrote:

> You *are* kidding right ? It's the handbrake btw. It has no relationship
> whatever to *emergencies*. It is used in normal driving and you'll fail your
> driving test if you don't use it correctly.

Mine is labelled as a parking brake, and I've never had to use mine
except when my master cylander died in a 20 year old car.

> > and I used to live there for 28 years of my life and 11 was driving. Also
> > most people do not really apply the emergency brake on a hill unless rather
> > steep,

> Utter nonsence !

Do your normal brakes not work? I've taken my Honda Civic on almost
any type of road (or not-a-road) that you can find, and never once have
felt even the slightest urge to use my parking brake while moving.

> > as we have nearly all master moving off the help by knowing when the
> > clutch bite point.

> How often do you have your clutch plate replaced doing that ? Holding a car on
> the clutch on a hill for any length of time instead of applying the handbrake is
> plain berserk.

I have a slushbox. I take my foot off the gas going downhill, it goes
the same speed I was going and my transmission feels brand new after
100,000 miles. Yeah, steep hills take a tiny bit of brakes, but even
the steepest hills I find in the US never require my parking brake to
get down.

Hell, even with a pickup I never had to use my parking brake, even
off-roading. The brakes worked great till Evans Tires ****ed them up.
(Evans causing my truck to get totalled is another story though.)

Dave

Old July 24th 05, 02:53 AM
Pooh Bear

Dave wrote:

> Pooh Bear wrote:
>
> > You *are* kidding right ? It's the handbrake btw. It has no relationship
> > whatever to *emergencies*. It is used in normal driving and you'll fail your
> > driving test if you don't use it correctly.

> Mine is labelled as a parking brake, and I've never had to use mine
> except when my master cylander died in a 20 year old car.

Clearly you're not in the UK then. I was referring to the UK driving test. Pls pay
attention to the thread. It has *British* in it.

> > > and I used to live there for 28 years of my life and 11 was driving. Also
> > > most people do not really apply the emergency brake on a hill unless rather
> > > steep,

> > Utter nonsence !

> Do your normal brakes not work? I've taken my Honda Civic on almost
> any type of road (or not-a-road) that you can find, and never once have
> felt even the slightest urge to use my parking brake while moving.

You *never* use it whilst moving unless you want to perform a handbrake turn !

Read above. It's used when stationary especially on a hill !

> > > as we have nearly all master moving off the help by knowing when the
> > > clutch bite point.

> > How often do you have your clutch plate replaced doing that ? Holding a car on
> > the clutch on a hill for any length of time instead of applying the handbrake is
> > plain berserk.

> I have a slushbox. I take my foot off the gas going downhill, it goes
> the same speed I was going and my transmission feels brand new after
> 100,000 miles. Yeah, steep hills take a tiny bit of brakes, but even
> the steepest hills I find in the US never require my parking brake to
> get down.

You *never* use the parking / hand brake in motion ! Just the footbrake - the same as
you do.

> Hell, even with a pickup I never had to use my parking brake, even
> off-roading. The brakes worked great till Evans Tires ****ed them up.
> (Evans causing my truck to get totalled is another story though.)

Autoboxes aren't popular in Europe generally. I guess we like the more engaging and
sportier style of driving that a manual box gives. Manual transmissions don't wear out
either btw, in fact they're noted for longevity.

Btw, if you *never* use your parking brake how do you know it's still functional ? For
that time when you actually *do* need it.

Graham

Old July 24th 05, 04:56 AM
Dave

Pooh Bear wrote:

> > Mine is labelled as a parking brake, and I've never had to use mine
> > except when my master cylander died in a 20 year old car.

> Clearly you're not in the UK then. I was referring to the UK driving test. Pls pay
> attention to the thread. It has *British* in it.

So everyone in the UK drives a car in such disrepair they can't just
use their normal brakes?

> > Hell, even with a pickup I never had to use my parking brake, even
> > off-roading. The brakes worked great till Evans Tires ****ed them up.
> > (Evans causing my truck to get totalled is another story though.)

> Autoboxes aren't popular in Europe generally. I guess we like the more engaging and
> sportier style of driving that a manual box gives. Manual transmissions don't wear out
> either btw, in fact they're noted for longevity.

Since I sit in traffic all the time, and I bought the car used, I took
what I got and I don't need to dick around with a shifter to get up to
30 mph then stop again in traffic.

> Btw, if you *never* use your parking brake how do you know it's still functional ? For
> that time when you actually *do* need it.

I use it every time I park, as the name implies.

Dave

Old July 24th 05, 08:10 AM

Yes it is part of the driving test to use the handbrake in appropriate
suggestions like starting off on hills, at stop signs and traffic lights,
but how many people in the U.K actually drive that way after passing the
test very few. I know of one and that's my mum. All the other drivers I
know and that is many since I used to driver for a parcel company and travel
with others in company cars never once used there handbrake when stopped at
stop signs or traffic lights and only occassionally on steep hills. You
must be one of the few that does Pooh bear.

O and burning out the clutch I have never once done that and never had to
replace a clutch on any car or van or truck I have driving and let me tell
you I have driven more miles than I care to remember.

I bet if you surveyed every driver that has passed the UK driving test very
few would say that they still use there handbrake at a stop sign or traffic
lights. Actually why not ask the question to this news group and see what
response we get Pooh Bear.

oups.com...