2000 sebring convertible rear seat belts

Old September 13th 05, 10:36 PM

Default 2000 sebring convertible rear seat belts

2000 Sebring convertible rear shoulder belts not rewinding completely.
How to get into the back seat, or get the back seat out, in order to repair
/ replace the seat belt retractors?

Old September 14th 05, 12:47 AM
maxpower

"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
> I am glad you brought up that problem. The real question is "Can you

trust
> retractable seat belts to lock up on crash impact?"
>
> The only way you're going to really find out for sure is to have a
> collision.

That just too funny!!, First of all the OP is asking how to get to his
rear belt in the seat to find out why they wont roll up.

As far as a collision to see if they work, I had to laugh at that. all you
need to do is make a hard panic stop and you will see that they do hold

I don't trust them and never trusted them. I recommend only
> fixed seat belts, like the original seat belts in cars and the kind still
> in use by aircraft of all kinds, all the way up to the A800 goliath.
>
> Does anybody know why people are so lazy they cannot chinch up a regular
> seatbelt? Those are the only kind you can trust to work in the real world
> of car crashes.

Glenn beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old September 14th 05, 12:55 AM
maxpower

> wrote in message
> 2000 Sebring convertible rear shoulder belts not rewinding completely.
> How to get into the back seat, or get the back seat out, in order to

repair
> / replace the seat belt retractors?

remove the seat cushion, seat back and quarter trim panel, 2 screws at the
top, the speaker and then the panel pops off, ( be careful because they
break really easy) remove the belt anchor bolt at the floor and the anchor
bolt to the rear seat support.
then remove the seat belt retractor assembly.
If the belt is bad, I would not recommend disassembling it to repair it.
It would be a sad situation to find out the belt wasn't installed or
repaired correctly when the back seat occupant flew thru the windshield in
the event of a frontal accident.

my opinion only

Glenn beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old September 14th 05, 02:32 PM

Thanks for info abt getting the seat out.
I think the problem may be that the belt(s) got twisted as they were being
rolled up on the retractor. Because of the now extra thickness on the spool
do not roll up all the way.