Recommendations for very small nible 4x4 chase vehicle...

Old July 20th 04, 02:03 PM
Jack Daynes

PR wrote:

> GRS II = 4.89 to 1 ...the 3.727 is your axle ratio
> SUMO T-case is 6.129 to 1
> EZ mod to the carb .......lookin'at the drivers side of the carb U will
> C a vac. line with a white/orange plastic thingus' in the
> middle.....yank the whole thing off and replace it with a straight vac.
> line.........now the secondarys on the carb will open when your foot
> passes the half way point on the pedal........not "when they feel like
> it"
> you will lose 1-2mpg
>
> save the piece U will need it to pass yer' "Smog Check"
>
> The Dirt Weasel

=================================
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

--
-- Jack --
=================================

Old July 20th 04, 02:30 PM
Jack Daynes

PR wrote:

> When ya' come to AZ. do ya' bring yer Zuk?

=================================
Yeahbut only as a toad. I pulled it to Tucson last
month behind my Astro AWD, but the Astro seemed a
little under powered on the long grades. Coming
out of El Centro at 109°F I had to gear down to
2nd and hold it to 50 mph over the grade to keep
from overheating. On it's own, the Astro can pull
the grade at 75 mph with the AC on high ... does
NOT get hot.
=================================
> I'm up here in the Bradshaws......between Mayer and Crown
> King.....

=================================
Real interesting country in those parts.
=================================
>..show up on the second Sunday of the month and

Ya' can come
> on a club run with "The Zuks of Arizona" largest Zuk club in the USA
> Show up some other time and we can play around in the Bradshaws.....
> R U Spooled/locked on both ends?

=================================
Locked in the front. Stock in the rear.
=================================
> I hope ya' know I was only givin' ya' a hard time about the 1.6L swap
> "To each his own"
> We R just real proud of our SUMO motors?
>
> The Dirt Weasel

=================================
No problem here. I'm interested to learn more
about this SUMO setup, but I'm pretty sure the
1.6L/16v/FI setup will work for me.

I'll be dropping you a line soon, as a buddy and I
are planning an excursion generally in your
direction in a few weeks. He's got a new Ford F350
crew cab with a 6L Power Stroke (Norstar?) diesel.
The Zuk will come along as a toad.

Seeya,
--
-- Jack --
=================================

Old July 20th 04, 03:19 PM
Mike Romain

Well, seeing as all these Sami owners are comparing the performance as
'almost' able to keep up with a Jeep after they do all these mods, I
would just get the Jeep.....

A stock CJ7 will already fit 31" tires and go damn near anywhere. The
4.2 engine is almost bullet proof with amazing low end torque. It also
has a 'bunch' more room for parts if you are the chase vehicle.

Just my $0.02,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 20th 04, 05:20 PM
Jack Daynes

Mike Romain wrote:
> Well, seeing as all these Sami owners are
> comparing the performance as
> 'almost' able to keep up with a Jeep after they
> do all these mods, I
> would just get the Jeep.....

=================================
Mike,

You really should read more carefully. Nobody on
this thread (except you) said anything about
'almost' keeping up with the jeep. The Dirt Weasel
has suggested his 1.3L SUMO rig will blow the jeep
away. If you look at the comparisons of 'stock'
CJ7 and these Sami's, many factors (e.g. ground
clearance), it is the Jeep that will be found
lacking. You are paying a huge penalty in weight
(not to mention your wallet).
=================================
> A stock CJ7 will already fit 31" tires and go
> damn near anywhere. The
> 4.2 engine is almost bullet proof with amazing
> low end torque.

=================================
I don't think low end torque is a problem in the
Sami's. Even my wimpy little stock 1.3L has
plenty. It's just lacking the performance I want
on the highway.
=================================
> It also has a 'bunch' more room for parts if

you > are the chase vehicle.

> Just my $0.02,
>
> Mike
> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose
> to tail in '00
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> <SNIP>

=================================
You may have a point about the extra room aspect.
I'd be interested in a quantification, but I don't
believe it will be an increase of more that a few
percentage points. However, if that's important,
it should not be ignored.

Be Well,
--
-- Jack --
=================================

Old July 20th 04, 06:00 PM
Mike Romain

Ahh... OK, I just saw folks saying the modified engine ones could keep
up to a Jeep 6 and you got better articulation using Jeep springs, and
you had to lift to run 31's, etc....

A Sami is a nice toy though, they are impressive off road when built
right.

The cargo space in my 86 CJ7 is as follows: With the rear seat out or
folded and tumbled forward, I have a 3'x3'x1' well and then on top of
the wheels, a 4'x4'x3' area with the top in place. This gives 9 cubic
feet in the well and 36 cubic feet in the box for a rear total of 45
cubic feet. CJ's also have a fold down tail gate.

I can load this full with the hard top on or full using a cargo net with
the soft top on.

It also has a GVW of 4400 lb and can 'safely' tow a 2000 lb trailer.

I also get 11L/100 km gas mileage or 23 US mpg which I am sure is lower
than a Sami.

Mike

Old July 20th 04, 07:47 PM
Mesquito Creek

Let me add a little clarification when I say a "chase" vehicle... Not
a chaser in a racing situation where it has to go fast, more like a
chase mule! We will use it to follow some bikes/quad on day rides...
As I stated in the OP, the target is something like a Yamaha Rhino or
Polaris Ranger. Average speeds will be in the 30 mph range.

I see your point with a Jeep, but a jeep is going to be more than I
believe I am willing to commit too. I won't be trying to modify a
samurai to compete with Jeep,... more just to keep up with a
rhino/range, and perhaps just haul around some stuff and the
occasional burnt out kid.

Old July 20th 04, 09:01 PM
Jack Daynes

Hello Mike (read on below ... )

=================================

Mike Romain wrote:

> Ahh... OK, I just saw folks saying the modified engine ones could keep
> up to a Jeep 6 and you got better articulation using Jeep springs, and
> you had to lift to run 31's, etc....
>
> A Sami is a nice toy though, they are impressive off road when built
> right.
>
> The cargo space in my 86 CJ7 is as follows: With the rear seat out or
> folded and tumbled forward, I have a 3'x3'x1' well and then on top of
> the wheels, a 4'x4'x3' area with the top in place. This gives 9 cubic
> feet in the well and 36 cubic feet in the box for a rear total of 45
> cubic feet.

=================================
I just took some measurements on my Sami. They are
as follows (all behind passenger area and rear
bench removed):

Space between wheel wells is (in feet)
2.5 (front to back)
3 (side to side)
..75 (floor to top of wheel wells)
(5.625 cu.ft.)

Space over this section is
4 (side to side)
2.5 (front to back)
2.75 (top of wheel well to top of inside shell)
(27.5 cu.ft.)
Total: 33.125 cu. ft.

Your jeep space is bigger by 11.875 or about 36%
=================================
> CJ's also have a fold down tail gate.

=================================
Can't do this with the Sami.
=================================
> I can load this full with the hard top on or full using a cargo net with
> the soft top on.
>
> It also has a GVW of 4400 lb and can 'safely' tow a 2000 lb trailer.

=================================
The quotes around the word 'safely' are quite
appropriate. With our mutually short wheel bases,
neither of us have a good rig for towing. ;-)
A stock 88 Sami is under 2100 lb. I haven't
weighed my setup (since my mods), but I believe
I'm in the 2500~2600 lb range. Of coarse, both
figures (yours AND mine) will vary with what we're
packing with us.
=================================
> I also get 11L/100 km gas mileage or 23 US mpg which I am sure is lower
> than a Sami.

=================================
That varies with WHO'S foot is on the peddle ;-)
=================================

> Mike

<SNIP>
=================================
Be well and have fun,
--
-- Jack --
=================================

Old July 20th 04, 09:09 PM
Jack Daynes

Hello (and read on below ... )

=================================

Mesquito Creek wrote:

> Let me add a little clarification when I say a "chase" vehicle... Not
> a chaser in a racing situation where it has to go fast, more like a
> chase mule! We will use it to follow some bikes/quad on day rides...
> As I stated in the OP, the target is something like a Yamaha Rhino or
> Polaris Ranger. Average speeds will be in the 30 mph range.

=================================
Sounds like the Sami's strong suit to me. In fact,
you might be fine right out of the box with NO
mods. Depending on your trails, a skid plate and
pumpkin guards might be a good idea. If you
haven't done so already, try calling the guys at
Petroworks. They won't BS you.
=================================

--
-- Jack --
=================================

Old July 20th 04, 09:39 PM
Mike Romain

I more or less thought so. The 'chase' vehicle is the parts, water and
recovery rig usually.

A Sami would be a good choice, so would any engine version of Jeep. I
have wheeled with many Jeep 4 bangers and never realized they had the
smaller engine. They have the gearing to make up any difference off
road, they just lack some power for high speed on the highway.

They are worth looking at if you come across one.

Mike

Old July 20th 04, 10:27 PM
Mike Romain

That makes sense, I figured about a 35% difference in size.

Is it the same for towing? You are so right about the short wheel bases
and towing. A Jeeper friend just got a sweet trailer, a Boler camper
that weighs in at 900 lb 'fully equipped'.
http://www.geocities.com/bolerama/

He wants to put CJ springs on that so it follows....

Mine is 'glass nose to tail and I really want to get it on a scale.
Stock, my CJ7 is supposed to weigh in around 3100 lb or so but I figure
I am closer to your 21-2500 lb.

Makes for a mean power to weight ratio. :-) My 258 straight 6 goes
like a scalded cat. It will pull fast up to 55 mph turning 4400 rpm in
2nd and hit 80+ in 3rd. 4th buries the speedo and I have no freaking
urge to see what 5th will pull to. (my spedo is GPS calibrated right on
too.)

Mike