C4 exhaust systems

Old April 23rd 06, 03:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default C4 exhaust systems

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me that they are very pleased with their
new C4 exhaust replacement.
Why?
What kind is it?
I thought I read someone was happy with a straight pipe.

I thought my alternator was going out again, but the squeeking was a broken
loose stock muffler swinging on the pipe!

Old April 23rd 06, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

i tried 3 different cat back systems on my 88--coupe..
the first 2 caused a cloud exhaust vibration inside the car.. talked to the
guys at Corvette Central and they recommended Magnaflow cat-back system.. no
complaints...
EXHAUST - CAT BACK WITH LT1 TIP MANAFLOW part #324136 cost $324.95

troy

. com...

Old April 23rd 06, 08:49 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

I have an 86 coupe and installed the Magnaflow cat-back system. I am really
pleased with the quality and sound of the Magnaflow system. Great product
and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Old April 23rd 06, 09:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 02:23:57 GMT, "Michael" >
wrote:

>I'm wondering if anyone can tell me that they are very pleased with their
>new C4 exhaust replacement.
>Why?
>What kind is it?
>I thought I read someone was happy with a straight pipe.
>
>I thought my alternator was going out again, but the squeeking was a broken
>loose stock muffler swinging on the pipe!

====================
I ran my 95 with the eliminators (guess you could say straight pipes)
on her for a good 10 years before selling it not long ago...

I had actually purchased a cat back system and when I started to
install the system I stopped after I had removed the original
mufflers...just to start up the car to see how it sounded without the
mufflers...

Well at idle it sounded almost stock...under moderate throttle it
sound good, under WOT it sounded great... End result I returned the
cat back system and installed the eliminators with the tips....

Car did not have excessive resonance on the highway...never a problem
have a conversation with my wife... and it always passed the emission
tests...

When I sold the car I gave the new owner the original mufflers &
tips... told him it was his choice...

Bob G,
64 72 & 98 Rag tops
76 & 79 Coupes
..
Old April 23rd 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Great Issue!
TUFF TUFF Car to get sounding great like the dozens of frikkin Mustangs
we hear every day..... LOL
The way the pipes travel down the trans tunnel it sets up resonance very
very easily,
and seems to be worse in the ragtop.

I tried the B&B TriFlow complete system (rubs fingers together $) and it
lasted on the car
exactly 2 days and was shipped back... Had a droning idle and got
QUIETER when rompin on it.
And had terrible resonance right at the RPM used on the highway and
around town.

I've yet to hear with my own ears anything C4 I'd put on. Still waiting :-)
When my buddie get's back from England (green card issues), he has
a complete shop with lift and TIG, MIG. I'm thinking about finding
a junkyard C4 system (1 piece no clamps at the rear bends, I HATE the look
of those clamps) and cutting the tops of the mufflers off removing the guts,
MIGING in a straight pipe to connect the inlet to exit, MIGING on the
top again,
so it looks stock but has the Muffler Eliminator sound..... I don't like
to looks of the
muffler missing back there.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old April 23rd 06, 09:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"RicSeyler" > wrote in message
.. .
> Great Issue!
> TUFF TUFF Car to get sounding great like the dozens of frikkin Mustangs we
> hear every day..... LOL
> The way the pipes travel down the trans tunnel it sets up resonance very
> very easily,
> and seems to be worse in the ragtop.
>
> I tried the B&B TriFlow complete system (rubs fingers together $) and it
> lasted on the car
> exactly 2 days and was shipped back... Had a droning idle and got QUIETER
> when rompin on it.
> And had terrible resonance right at the RPM used on the highway and around
> town.
>
> I've yet to hear with my own ears anything C4 I'd put on. Still waiting
> :-)
> When my buddie get's back from England (green card issues), he has
> a complete shop with lift and TIG, MIG.

That should be the easy part, finding a C4 in the junk yard, then you might
try this.... http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=534

>I'm thinking about finding
> a junkyard C4 system (1 piece no clamps at the rear bends, I HATE the look
> of those clamps) and cutting the tops of the mufflers off removing the
> guts,
> MIGING in a straight pipe to connect the inlet to exit, MIGING on the top
> again,
> so it looks stock but has the Muffler Eliminator sound..... I don't like
> to looks of the
> muffler missing back there.
>
> --
> Ric Seyler
> Online Racing: RicSeyler
> GPL Handicap 6.35

At the very least it won't sound like a hot Maytag.

;-)))

Dad

Old April 24th 06, 12:21 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

I put the Magnaflow catback on my '86 about a year ago with the
cat/converter gutted out and like the sound but feel the cockpit is a
"little" loud but o.k for conversation (I don't have to YELL: ) THe first
couple of months the system seemed to clear out black dust which ended up on
the back of the car and had to be constantly cleaned. I'm not sure if it
was the gutted converter or new Magnaflow system but may have been the
former. I do like the sound and looks of the stainless steel pipes which
are easy to clean.

. com...

Old April 24th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Thanks Troy and Bob. Mines an 88 and the 324 price tag is not too shabby
when compared to 1000+ for something that would be to noisy. I am however
anxious to see what it sounds like when I do remove the mufflers. Makes
sense, if you leave everything in place, the resonance probably "sets up" on
the trip down the tunnel. If the exhaust makes it to the rear (mufflers)
without annoyance, then maybe it matters not what you put back there.

Thanks Dad for the URL. I'll read it over and see if it's feasible for my
garage. I would love to tack on a few horsies to the 245. BTW you owe us
an apology for the crack about C4's and junk yards. My crummy C4 shines
above the best of stangs. ;-)

Old April 24th 06, 04:41 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Mike" > wrote in message
. com...
> Thanks Troy and Bob. Mines an 88 and the 324 price tag is not too shabby
> when compared to 1000+ for something that would be to noisy. I am however
> anxious to see what it sounds like when I do remove the mufflers. Makes
> sense, if you leave everything in place, the resonance probably "sets up"
> on
> the trip down the tunnel. If the exhaust makes it to the rear (mufflers)
> without annoyance, then maybe it matters not what you put back there.
>
> Thanks Dad for the URL. I'll read it over and see if it's feasible for my
> garage. I would love to tack on a few horsies to the 245. BTW you owe
> us
> an apology for the crack about C4's and junk yards. My crummy C4 shines
> above the best of stangs. ;-)

I do apologize, but I'm not as sorry as I was when I was driving a C4. ;-))
You need to tell me what's wrong with my Mustang, 65, Wimbledon white, blue
interior, huge 200 CID six with three on the floor. Promo car with a special
price of $1965 with all of the 64 1/2 goodies except the 2 number code for
interior color, darn.

All kidding aside I have the tools, the lift, and the MIG welder to do that
job, bring it on, we can make it purr.

Dad

Old April 24th 06, 02:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Look on ebay and see what people are selling..those are the after market
ones to avoid.....Borla etc..create so much resonance that after one or two
days they are history..Resonance is the problem not the exhaust tone
....drives you crazy at normal highway speeds. Sold mine at 50% loss after
one week...lucky I kept the original mufflers..and did the installation
myself. I have my own lift in a three car garage.( Most of the new homes in
our area have three car garages and some have 3+ a motor home garage with 10
foot doors)