Synthetic oil in new V6 accord? Is it worth it?

Old September 4th 05, 11:45 AM
Steve Bigelow

"jim beam" > wrote in message
>> TWW wrote:
>>
> wrote in message
egroups.com...

>>>You should wait until the engine is broken in before you change to
>>>synthetic. At least to 10k miles.

>> That information applies only to very old engine designs whose piston
>> rings need more friction to seat properly. It doesn't apply to anything
>> made in the past 15-20 years, and some cars, such as Corvettes, come
>> from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic in them.

> have you ever heard of product placement?
>
> for contrast, dig around in the scion [toyota] web site & get their
> recommendation on the use of synthetics. basically, they say don't
> bother.

Doesn't exactly sound like a blanket statement for Toyota.

Do they saw NOT to use them?

Old September 4th 05, 03:57 PM
jim beam

Steve Bigelow wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message

>>>TWW wrote:
>>>

> wrote in message
legroups.com...

>>>That information applies only to very old engine designs whose piston
>>>rings need more friction to seat properly. It doesn't apply to anything
>>>made in the past 15-20 years, and some cars, such as Corvettes, come
>>>from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic in them.

>>have you ever heard of product placement?
>>
>>for contrast, dig around in the scion [toyota] web site & get their
>>recommendation on the use of synthetics. basically, they say don't
>>bother.

> Doesn't exactly sound like a blanket statement for Toyota.
>
> Do they saw NOT to use them?

you'll have to look for yourself. seems the scion site is now
flash-only, and i don't do flash. but the point is, you have one of the
most technologically advanced auto manufacturers in the world bringing
you cars that perform at 30%-50% of rated engine power for many 10's of
thousands of hours performing perfectly well on conventional oils vs.
chevy who run at 15%-25% of rated power for barely one 10 thousand hour
time block, even with synthetics.

Old September 4th 05, 05:21 PM
Steve Bigelow

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> Steve Bigelow wrote:

> wrote in message
glegroups.com...

>>>have you ever heard of product placement?
>>>
>>>for contrast, dig around in the scion [toyota] web site & get their
>>>recommendation on the use of synthetics. basically, they say don't
>>>bother.

>> Doesn't exactly sound like a blanket statement for Toyota.
>>
>> Do they saw NOT to use them?

> you'll have to look for yourself. seems the scion site is now flash-only,
> and i don't do flash. but the point is, you have one of the most
> technologically advanced auto manufacturers in the world bringing you cars
> that perform at 30%-50% of rated engine power for many 10's of thousands
> of hours performing perfectly well on conventional oils vs. chevy who run
> at 15%-25% of rated power for barely one 10 thousand hour time block, even
> with synthetics.

Wow!
Where did you find all that info?

Old September 4th 05, 05:42 PM
Elle

"Steve Bigelow" > wrote
> "jim beam" > wrote

seems the scion site is now flash-only,
> > and i don't do flash. but the point is, you have one of the most
> > technologically advanced auto manufacturers in the world bringing you

cars
> > that perform at 30%-50% of rated engine power for many 10's of thousands
> > of hours performing perfectly well on conventional oils vs. chevy who

run
> > at 15%-25% of rated power for barely one 10 thousand hour time block,

even
> > with synthetics.

> Wow!
> Where did you find all that info?

Ditto, although I can't quite make engineering sense of the statements
above.

Chevies will last only about 10k hours and running only at about 20% of
rated power on synthetic oil, but they last much longer and at higher powers
on conventional oil?

The only other interpretation I could make is that this is a comment on the
Chevy v. Toyota engine design, disregarding oil considerations.

Old September 4th 05, 05:56 PM
jim beam

Elle wrote:
> "Steve Bigelow" > wrote
>
>>"jim beam" > wrote

> seems the scion site is now flash-only,
>
>>>and i don't do flash. but the point is, you have one of the most
>>>technologically advanced auto manufacturers in the world bringing you

> cars
>
>>>that perform at 30%-50% of rated engine power for many 10's of thousands
>>>of hours performing perfectly well on conventional oils vs. chevy who

> run
>
>>>at 15%-25% of rated power for barely one 10 thousand hour time block,

> even
>
>>>with synthetics.

>>Wow!
>>Where did you find all that info?

> Ditto, although I can't quite make engineering sense of the statements
> above.
>
> Chevies will last only about 10k hours and running only at about 20% of
> rated power on synthetic oil, but they last much longer and at higher powers
> on conventional oil?

eh? sorry if i confused you two. what i meant was that you have
trouble getting 10k out of a chevy, even though it's only running at a
low power percentage and running a synthetic whereas you have no trouble
getting several times more life out of a toyota running at a higher
percentage of rated output running conventional.

that work?

[i think] you raise the point about whether toyotas would last even
longer on synthetics, and maybe they would, but it seems irrelevant,
particularly if toyota has not been approached for product placement.

Old September 4th 05, 06:16 PM
Elle

"jim beam" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
> > "Steve Bigelow" > wrote
> >
> >>"jim beam" > wrote

> > seems the scion site is now flash-only,

> > cars

thousands

> > run

> > even

> >>Wow!
> >>Where did you find all that info?

> > Ditto, although I can't quite make engineering sense of the statements
> > above.
> >
> > Chevies will last only about 10k hours and running only at about 20% of
> > rated power on synthetic oil, but they last much longer and at higher

powers
> > on conventional oil?

> eh? sorry if i confused you two.

Your writing sucks eggs. ;-)

> what i meant was that you have
> trouble getting 10k out of a chevy, even though it's only running at a
> low power percentage and running a synthetic whereas you have no trouble
> getting several times more life out of a toyota running at a higher
> percentage of rated output running conventional.
>
> that work?

Glad I could help.

> [i think] you raise the point about whether toyotas would last even
> longer on synthetics, and maybe they would, but it seems irrelevant,
> particularly if toyota has not been approached for product placement.

Could be a lot of reasons behind this.

> > The only other interpretation I could make is that this is a comment on

the
> > Chevy v. Toyota engine design, disregarding oil considerations.

Read the above again, Jim.

Old September 4th 05, 06:27 PM
Mike Wolfer

If you are on the fence about synthetic, one option is Castrol Syntec
Blend 5W-20. I've used this with good results so far.

oups.com...

Old September 6th 05, 05:17 PM
Eric

My 1991 Accord on 420000 miles with Syn. oil since day one still running
strong. Is it worth

oups.com...

www.api.org certification SJ,

Old September 6th 05, 07:50 PM

i had it on my 99 v6 accord and car runs fun.

i had the comptech supercharger, header and everything.

i change my tranny fluid a lot so my accord had very very less of
issue.

--
shaolin
shaolin's Profile: http://Club3series.com876