Wrangler Catalytic Converters

Old May 5th 05, 03:51 PM
Marty

Default Wrangler Catalytic Converters

Fellow Jeepers, I am now getting my third catalytic converter put on my 1997
Jeep Wrangler. I only have 79000 miles on it. The factory converter went out
when I had about 40000 miles, it was covered by the emissions warranty. The
next converter went out about 25,000 miles later at 65,000 miles. At that
time I found out the warranty would no longer cover the expense so I figured
since all that was wrong was that it collapsed and was rattling when it
idled I would just leave it. Well, the rattlling finally started getting to
me since my Jeep looks so nice but sounds like a deisel at a stop light I
decided to get it replaced once more. Of course, it is costing me an arm
and a leg. On Wranglers prior to 1997 the cost is as little as $99. However
the '97's on up have a sensor that is hooked to the converter so it costs
anywhere from $300 on up depending where you go for your replacement, and
thats without labor. I have debated over the last two years whether to sell
my Jeep and get a more economical vehicle, but I love my Jeep, it is paid
for and does not cost alot to own except for gas. I have pics of it on my
web site below and also a link to a Jeep page I made if you would like to
check it out. Has anyone else had converter problems like this? Lets here
it.

Thanks

--

There is only one race_the Human Race
Visit our web page: www.geocities.com/martymapson

Old May 5th 05, 08:46 PM
IsellJeeps

meineke mufflers here in houston charge me 125 for the convertor
installed...

--
Jarod Sprauer

Talk is JEEP at
www.sprauermotorsports.com
281-807-JEEP (5337)

Old May 6th 05, 12:13 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

On my '00, there a sensor upstream and downstream, but not on the converter
itself.