iRacing - Hardware

Old October 18th 08, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default iRacing - Hardware

jeffareid:
> Back to racing sims, unlike radio control, a bit part of racing is the
> feedback you get from forces while driving at the limits, and no amount
> of visual, audio, or steering force feedback is going to replace it. Some
> real world racers use these games to get an idea of track layouts, but
> point
> out that even the simplest things, like braking points, are significantly
> different between game and real world. For me there are racing games, some
> have realistic physics, and some like Need For Speed, have pursuits and
> cool
> graphics.

46, here. Just the other day I watched Rfactor on Laguna Seca.
Compared to iRacing, the difference is enormous. The difference is in small
things, but those small things makes track completely different. Well, like
they said in one episode of Inside Simracing, little differences, not big
deal. Only, the one track is real, and the other is not, this is what makes
iRacing useful. Rfactor version isn't good for anything, and it only
confuses real life driver. iRacing version is spot on, and it really can
help real life driver (I am not one of them). Showing him track layout
exactly. And this is what laser scanning is about, the exact computer
representation of the track.
In your sport training is simple, in car racing training is
expensive, very expensive, and knowing the exact layout, can help (I would
say, pretty much). Braking points aren't big deal. One car has one braking
point, the other has another. You change a setup, you change braking point a
little. You adjust your braking point to real situation, to the REAL track.
And you already know real track pretty well, if you raced it on iRacing a
hundreds of times. The behavior of the car? Well, every car behaves
differently, and even the same car behaves differently, regarding on tire
pressure. Even on the same tires, the car behaves differently during time,
and in changing weather conditions. Comes a rain, everything changes. But,
the track layout doesn't change. Knowing that there is a crest on the track
in some corner, and driving accordingly (using that crest), helps you a lot
when you finally come to the track in real life, and other drivers only just
spot that, and they need some time to "figure" it out. You are already way
ahead.
At least, this is how I see the whole thing. -- Mario Petrinovic

Old October 18th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
> At least, this is how I see the whole thing. -- Mario Petrinovic

Oh yes, the other thing is that iRacing provides a controlled
environment with sanctioning body, and thus can give infrastructure to
develop sim racing into a real sport. It is the only of this kind. Iracing
team is awaible 24/7/365, constantly maintaing and building this
infrastructure. This is just fantastic, compared to anything else, way
ahead, revolutionary. Whatever Kaemmer did in the past, it was always
revolutionary for sim racing. Hat down to him, he is way ahead of everybody.
I simply cannot undarstand anybody who bashes iRacing. -- Mario Petrinovic

Old October 18th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Mario Petrinovic wrote:
> jeffareid:
>> Back to racing sims, unlike radio control, a bit part of racing is the
>> feedback you get from forces while driving at the limits, and no amount
>> of visual, audio, or steering force feedback is going to replace it. Some
>> real world racers use these games to get an idea of track layouts, but
>> point
>> out that even the simplest things, like braking points, are significantly
>> different between game and real world. For me there are racing games,
>> some
>> have realistic physics, and some like Need For Speed, have pursuits and
>> cool
>> graphics.

> 46, here. Just the other day I watched Rfactor on Laguna Seca.
> Compared to iRacing, the difference is enormous. The difference is in small

Oh please, you picked one of the worst tracks for rF. Big deal...

Mid Ohio, Rouen, LeMans (Virtua_LM)
Nordschleife
Zandvoort
Spa
Bugatti
and on, and on, and on

Oh wait, you can't drive most of them with iRacing. Damn...

l8er
ronny
Old October 18th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Mario Petrinovic wrote:
> Mario Petrinovic:
>> At least, this is how I see the whole thing. -- Mario Petrinovic

> Oh yes, the other thing is that iRacing provides a controlled
> environment with sanctioning body, and thus can give infrastructure to
> develop sim racing into a real sport. It is the only of this kind.
> Iracing team is awaible 24/7/365, constantly maintaing and building this
> infrastructure. This is just fantastic, compared to anything else, way
> ahead, revolutionary. Whatever Kaemmer did in the past, it was always
> revolutionary for sim racing. Hat down to him, he is way ahead of
> everybody. I simply cannot undarstand anybody who bashes iRacing. --
> Mario Petrinovic

Who's bashing iRacing? If you want the stuff iRacing is offering, good for you.
But it's not the holy grail if one rather wants lots of tracks, lots of cars
and good physics on top. I cannot understand anybody who glorifies iRacing...

l8er
ronny
Old October 18th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Ronald Stoehr:
> Mario Petrinovic:
>> Mario Petrinovic:
>>> At least, this is how I see the whole thing. -- Mario Petrinovic

>> Oh yes, the other thing is that iRacing provides a controlled
>> environment with sanctioning body, and thus can give infrastructure to
>> develop sim racing into a real sport. It is the only of this kind.
>> Iracing team is awaible 24/7/365, constantly maintaing and building this
>> infrastructure. This is just fantastic, compared to anything else, way
>> ahead, revolutionary. Whatever Kaemmer did in the past, it was always
>> revolutionary for sim racing. Hat down to him, he is way ahead of
>> everybody. I simply cannot undarstand anybody who bashes iRacing. --
>> Mario Petrinovic

> Who's bashing iRacing? If you want the stuff iRacing is offering, good for
> you.
> But it's not the holy grail if one rather wants lots of tracks, lots of
> cars
> and good physics on top. I cannot understand anybody who glorifies
> iRacing...

Yes, you are right. I just watched Grid review at Inside Simracing.
It sure can get you a lot of fun (it looks like).
At first I didn't understand what the iRacing stuff is talking about
when they talked how they will not steal anybody's share of market. Now I do
understand. At first I just thought that iRacing will be in competition with
other sims. Now I know that iRacing is a completely different thing. And
this is what they announced on their public release. They said, who wants to
play games doesn't need to come to iRacing. As simple as it is. iRacing is a
sport, real sport, and it is developed for sportsmen, not for playing
around. Other sims will have better looks, more fun, better graphics, more
tracks, more cars. iRacing will always try to give the best physics,
accurate laser scanning tracks, and controlled environment. The market is
splitting. There will not be anymore fun games trying to act like the real
thing. There will be iRacing trying to BE real thing, and other stuff
offering plenty of fun.
It is one interesting thing, iRacing is actually recruiting its
membership from "fun sims" buyers. So, the more fun "fun sims" are offering,
and the more people "fun sims" are attracting, the bigger pool of potential
iRacing customers. -- Mario Petrinovic

Old October 19th 08, 11:28 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Mario Petrinovic wrote:
> Ronald Stoehr:
>> Mario Petrinovic:
>>> Mario Petrinovic:
>>>
>>> Oh yes, the other thing is that iRacing provides a controlled
>>> environment with sanctioning body, and thus can give infrastructure
>>> to develop sim racing into a real sport. It is the only of this kind.
>>> Iracing team is awaible 24/7/365, constantly maintaing and building
>>> this infrastructure. This is just fantastic, compared to anything
>>> else, way ahead, revolutionary. Whatever Kaemmer did in the past, it
>>> was always revolutionary for sim racing. Hat down to him, he is way
>>> ahead of everybody. I simply cannot undarstand anybody who bashes
>>> iRacing. -- Mario Petrinovic

>> Who's bashing iRacing? If you want the stuff iRacing is offering, good
>> for you.
>> But it's not the holy grail if one rather wants lots of tracks, lots
>> of cars
>> and good physics on top. I cannot understand anybody who glorifies
>> iRacing...

> Yes, you are right. I just watched Grid review at Inside
> Simracing. It sure can get you a lot of fun (it looks like).
> At first I didn't understand what the iRacing stuff is talking
> about when they talked how they will not steal anybody's share of
> market. Now I do understand. At first I just thought that iRacing will
> be in competition with other sims. Now I know that iRacing is a
> completely different thing. And this is what they announced on their
> public release. They said, who wants to play games doesn't need to come

Gimme a break, Mr. BigHead! It's still a GAME, just like rFactor...

<snipped marketing bull****>

l8er
ronny

Old October 19th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Ronald Stoehr:
> Mario Petrinovic:
>> Ronald Stoehr:
>>> Mario Petrinovic:

>>> Who's bashing iRacing? If you want the stuff iRacing is offering, good
>>> for you.
>>> But it's not the holy grail if one rather wants lots of tracks, lots of
>>> cars
>>> and good physics on top. I cannot understand anybody who glorifies
>>> iRacing...

>> Yes, you are right. I just watched Grid review at Inside
>> Simracing. It sure can get you a lot of fun (it looks like).
>> At first I didn't understand what the iRacing stuff is talking
>> about when they talked how they will not steal anybody's share of market.
>> Now I do understand. At first I just thought that iRacing will be in
>> competition with other sims. Now I know that iRacing is a completely
>> different thing. And this is what they announced on their public release.
>> They said, who wants to play games doesn't need to come

> Gimme a break, Mr. BigHead! It's still a GAME, just like rFactor...
>
> <snipped marketing bull****> ronny

Well, one can argue whether life is a game. But, the FACT is that
iRacing HAS sanctioning body which works 24/7, the FACT is that iRacing HAS
laser scanned tracks. Now, these are the main characteristics of iRacing,
sanctioning body and laser scanned tracks. Now, what would be the purpose of
those things? What do you think? To act like BigHeads, or what? The purpose
of those things is exactly to develop a sport, and to make iRacing a tool
for sportsmen. I don't see any other purpose for these (and these things are
EXPENSIVE, no way they would be used without a purpose), and also I don't
see any other "game" that has those things, and that has put so much money
into those things. Why? Well, because no other company has these goals.
-- Mario Petrinovic

Old October 19th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dirt

I bought a wireless PC adapter today that will let me use my XBox 360
wheel with my PC. When it comes next week I'm going to ante up for
the $20 trial membership. Depending on how it goes and how much time
I'm able to spend with it I'll probably set up a dedicated spot in my
basement in February when I return home and sign up for the full year.

-Dirt-

Old October 20th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> iRacing ... sport

I wouldn't call any computer activity a sport. Some claim that flying radio control
models is a sport. I fly radio control gliders, mostly at a slope site where there's
an updraft, and most of the time, I'm just twiddling a pair of small joysticks.
The only sport aspect in this is if the updraft goes away, and I have to go down
and back up the slope to retieve the model.

> that has put so much money

Most popular games cost that much to make or more. Electronic Arts spends about
$10 million per year or so for the yearly released versions of Need For Speed.
These games sell at around 5 million (ProStreet) to 9 million (Carbon, Most Wanted,
Underdround 2), so it's business model that works. (Compare this to the
6000 or so iRacing "renters").

Old October 20th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
hoover

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 12:34:48 +0200, Mario Petrinovic wrote:
> jeffareid:
>> Back to racing sims, unlike radio control, a bit part of racing is the
>> feedback you get from forces while driving at the limits, and no amount
>> of visual, audio, or steering force feedback is going to replace it. Some
>> real world racers use these games to get an idea of track layouts, but
>> point
>> out that even the simplest things, like braking points, are significantly
>> different between game and real world. For me there are racing games, some
>> have realistic physics, and some like Need For Speed, have pursuits and
>> cool
>> graphics.

> 46, here. Just the other day I watched Rfactor on Laguna Seca.
> Compared to iRacing, the difference is enormous. The difference is in small

I don't think it's exactly fair to compare a community created track
to the one in iRacing. A better comparison might be ISI's "BritishGP"
to the iRacing version, but then again the ISI version is a couple of
years old already.

Cheers, uwe

Day 28 in the Big iRacing house <-- warning, long and about iRacing Andrew MacPherson Simulators 29 October 1st 08 08:54 AM
[Hardware] Things *not* to do on the day before pay day... Andrew MacPherson Simulators 29 September 9th 08 08:47 AM
soft top hardware Deano Jeep 6 February 6th 07 04:46 PM
need hardware advice.. Cris Eichler Simulators 15 September 15th 05 08:10 PM
Stake bed hardware [email protected] 4x4 1 December 28th 04 02:01 AM