P0404 EGR Flow code

Old June 21st 04, 06:36 PM
Mike

Default P0404 EGR Flow code

I have a 1998 SC2 with like 96k miles on it. I have replaced the O2 sensor,
Catalytic converter, and muffler. The thing goes through a quart of oil
every 750 - 1000 miles using 10W30. The auto parts store that ran the code
said that they don't have a part available and that I have to go see a
Saturn dealer. The check engine soon light comes on and off intermittently.
How hard is it to mess with the EGR valve? Can it be cleaned up? Is this
going to crap because of the oil consumption or possibly causing it? This
car rumbles like a dog gone truck, could this be the cause?

I know this may seem like a bunch of stupid cheap skate questions, but this
thing has been a money pit at times! I just put more into my F150 than it
is probably worth last month and things are a bit sore from that yet. Any
comments would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

Old June 23rd 04, 03:20 AM
Robert Hancock

That code is indicating the indicated EGR pintle position from the sensor
inside the valve is too far off from the commanded position. Most likely,
either the valve is clogged up with carbon and needs to be cleaned, or else
it just needs to be replaced.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Old June 23rd 04, 04:48 AM
Mike

What should a guy use to clean up the valve?

http://www.roberthancock.com/

Old June 24th 04, 01:31 AM
Matt hotmail

i would just replace it because cleaning it can lead to premature problem.
Also, get a new pvc valve and new vacuum hose (the one between the engine
and the Air filter tube). Should all run about $200-300 dollars depending
on who does the work. I recommend saturn parts only, some oem don't last as
long.

http://www.roberthancock.com/

Old June 24th 04, 11:27 AM
Elector

"Matt hotmail" > wrote in message
. com...
> i would just replace it because cleaning it can lead to premature

problem.
> Also, get a new pvc valve and new vacuum hose (the one between the

engine
> and the Air filter tube). Should all run about $200-300 dollars

depending
> on who does the work. I recommend saturn parts only, some oem don't

last as
> long.

No many times they last longer :-)

NAPA has a Lifetime warranty on many of their parts. Its a shame that
the dealerships with the higher costs don't have a similar policy. OEM
and Aftermarket are by law to be identical with minor
additions/subtractions (Stickers, color etc.)
Other than that the part will be OK. You see the auto dealers have a
lock on OEM and don't want you to use the aftermarket parts so they
spread this vicious rumor of not the same, a lower quality, may not
fit exactly. All of which is not true.

Elector