Mini-Van Conversions?

Old December 18th 04, 01:15 AM
Matt Mead

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:27:30 -0500, "Snow" >
wrote:

>Really, these beasts are unibody now too. I thought they were still
>separate body mounted on the s10/s15 trucks frames. My 92 was a separate
>body mounted on full truck frame...I think..
>
>Snow...

Actually, there has been almost no chassis change for the entire run
of these vans. In fact, even the body restyle in 95 only consisted of
hood, front fenders and misc other front end pieces. (An easy,
stylish upgrade for the older vans is to add the 95+ pieces.) The
rest of the van has pretty much remained the same.

The Astro/Safari shares engines and trans with the S-series and
fullsize trucks. The rearend is the same size as the S-10, but has an
offset pumpkin, so it isn't interchangable. The early viscous AWD
T-case was shared with the Typhoon/Syclone. The later one I'm
guessing is shared with the Bravado. The front diff is dimensionally
the same as the S-series piece, but the AWD version doesn't offer the
vacuum disconnect. Many of the front suspension pieces are shared
with fullsize trucks including spindles, and upper and lower control
arms. (Not all years and all pieces are shared, but a good many of
them are.)

More info than you wanted to know......!

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion
Old December 18th 04, 01:30 AM
Matt Mead

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:42:16 -0800, Jack Daynes
..
>=================================
>I was able to get a 'lift' without a kit. I had a
>spring shop re-arch the rear springs (the '99 has
>steel springs, but '85 & my '94 have fiberglass
>springs) and add a leaf. The shop then adjusted
>the torsion bars at the front to level her out
>(yes I then had the alignment done). I got about
>3"~4" of lift in the process.
>=================================

I believe 96 was the first year of steel springs. I guess the
fiberglass springs are OK if left alone, but break if you try and use
an add-a-leaf. I'm not sure if the later spings are a direct
replacement, but I know several people that have "upgraded".

The pre 96 torsion bars are also prone to breaking on high mileage
vehicles, but the later ones are much stronger and it is easy to
upgrade with new bars and adjusters.

The lift kit is basically a body lift, but seperates the front
subframe from the unibody. This approach still needs tweaking of the
torsion bars to get 31" tires under it, but the more body lift, the
less cranking needed. Overland doesn't offer a 3" kit (only 2" and
1"), but I would like to try a 3". One issue is the steering shaft
isn't long enough to accomodate a 3" lift and would have to be
replaced or lengthened. Other issues will creep up too, and it may be
more trouble than it is worth. (The fan shroud is already an issue
too.)

Sounds like you have accomplished quite a bit with your van just on
your own. Cool!

>Matt, I looked at the overlandvans.com web site,
>but was unable to find anything on the 2-speed
>transfer case. What did I miss?

Sorry, I should have mentioned there isn't a kit for this. The folks
who have done it have done it on their own.

have you visited the forum over at www.astrosafari.com? Several
lifted Astro/Safari van owners hang out there!

Hope to see you there.

Old December 18th 04, 01:50 AM
Matt Mead

On 17 Dec 2004 15:12:59 -0800, "Tyler Durden"
> wrote:

>Jack,
>
>It being your third Astro and all, I assume you would reccomend them?
>Consumer Reports doesn't exactly rave about them. They mention brakes,
>fuel lines, and foot room as major detractors.

I think Consumer Report's biggest issue with them is they aren't
car-like! The brakes work fine, but granted, they system is
marginally sized. The parts are shared with the fullsize trucks, but
they are marginal in that application as well. I've done two brake
jobs in the 160K + miles I've driven my van. I've never had any type
of brake failure. I tow a 2-place snowmobile trailer or a pop-up
camper, both without brakes, and have never been worried about being
able to stop.

I don't know of any issue with the fuel lines. Fuel pumps fail, but
usually beyond 100K miles, and don't they on most vehicles? It is a
pain replacing since it is in the tank, and you have to drop it to
work on it. Late models pumps are pricey..... $300 to $500 plus
labor if you have a shop do it. (The whole "assembly" which includes
the sender is part of the later model pump replacement.)

Foot room is definately an issue. Driver's left foot can't be
stretched out and sits on the front wheel hump. The first time I
drove my van, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to live with. I
got used to it. Check it out yourself though! The front passenger
seat compartment feels a bit confining too. It's more "feel" than
anything since the engine is offset to the right, making the leg room
narrow. I've contemplated making brackets to move that seat back a
couple of inches.

> I can overlook all of
>these i'm pretty sure, but I'd like to be put at ease from guys like
>you and Matt who seem to like them. I'm almost sold on building my
>camper on this chassis. BTW, for those of you who found this string
>because you were looking for a 4x4/AWD camper as well, the two places
>I've found that do the conversions on the Astro/Safari a
>www.gtrv.com in BC, and Safari Condo out of Quebec
>http://www.safaricondo.com/menueng.html. Mike at GTRV is really
>personable and will work with you one on one. The Safari Condo guys
>seem a little more established and offer 4 different camper conversions
>of the Safari/Astro, but I think they're a little more expensive.

Another option is:

http://www.tigermotorhomes.com/tiger-xl/index.htm

>Now, assuming I go this route (like I say, I'm almost sold), do any of
>you guys have suggestions on how to get the best fuel efficiency out of
>the Safari/Astro AWD? My thoughts so far a K&N air filter, touring
>tires, and possibly an open exhaust system. Any word on a turbocharger?
>Any other ideas? The point being that I will use the van primarily for
>long road-trips, but insist on having the AWD for snow and the
>occasional battered trail to the beach/woods.
>Thanks for all the help!

Gas mileage will never be great. We see about 20 mpg on the highway
with ours and saw 21 when it was younger. Urban driving returns 16-17
mpg. Once you start adding weight though, that number can go nowhere
but down. A bigger issue would be with lift and/or bigger tires to
better utilize the off-road capability. I don't know what would
happen to the mileage, but I've never owned a 4x4 where it went up
with these types of changes!

I've done nothing to my van to try and improve mileage. There is an
aftermarket free flowing air filter kit available which certainly
wouldn't hurt. Also some aftermarket exhaust systems. I'd also
consider improving the spark through a hi-po system like MSD. I have
3.42 gears in mine which are the best for economy and still offer
decent performance. Bigger tires though would prefer 3.73s or 4.10s.

No turbo kits offered, but some company does make an interesting turbo
that mounts back toward the muffler and they have a "universal" kit.
No superchargers either. Biggest issue is a tight engine compartment.
But, a V-8 engine is an easy upgrade and most people who have made the
swap report great performance and the same or better gas mileage.
(It's on my to-do list.)

Come on over to the forum at www.astrosafari.com and do a bit of
reading. Ask some questions. You will get a better feel for the
issues these vans do have and it will help you decide if these vans
are right for you. (They aren't for everybody, I realize that.)

Old December 18th 04, 01:33 PM
bowgus

I suppose ... but how about the big picture ... like ... the energy that
goes into the creation of that new vehicle? An oldie ... way more energy
goes into the making of the tin can that holds the peas ... than you get
from the peas themselves. My next vehicle in maybe 5-8 years (provided I can
keep my old jeep running) will be somekind of energy conservation technology
.... in other words, unlike you, I do not plan on buying another conventional
gas powered vehicle. And in fact, depending on where I move to when I retire
(2-5 year), I may not buy another vehicle period.

oups.com...

Old December 20th 04, 03:40 PM
C. E. White

"Steve W." wrote:

> Dodge no longer
> builds full sized vans. You can get the Mercedes Sprinter but all of
> them I have driven are noisy and rough riding.

They may be, but I sure see a lot of them in my area.

Ed