2003 Accord, Compressor won't turn on

Old September 11th 05, 02:52 PM
got80s

Default 2003 Accord, Compressor won't turn on

I recently purchased a used 2003 Accord. While driving down the highway
last night the A/C stopped blowing cold air. I figured maybe the "freon"
was low. I ran by my brother-in-laws and he checked the level of the freon
and said it's fine. He said the compressor isn't kicking on. We can only
assume that it is a blown fuse that controls it. However I can't figure
out what fuse controls it, even after looking at the manual. Anyone just
happen to know?

Old September 11th 05, 04:18 PM
got80s

no i'm the second person to purchase it, i'm at 54k

Old September 11th 05, 08:32 PM
SoCalMike

got80s wrote:
> I recently purchased a used 2003 Accord. While driving down the highway
> last night the A/C stopped blowing cold air. I figured maybe the "freon"
> was low. I ran by my brother-in-laws and he checked the level of the freon
> and said it's fine. He said the compressor isn't kicking on. We can only
> assume that it is a blown fuse that controls it. However I can't figure
> out what fuse controls it, even after looking at the manual. Anyone just
> happen to know?

not offhand. there are probably fuses under the hood as well as under
the dash. the manual should say *something*. if not, id disconnect the
battery and pull fuses one at a time.
Old September 11th 05, 09:10 PM
Woody

The fuse compartments should be labeled. All you have to do is find them. If
you plan on servicing the car yourself now is the best time to invest in the
Helm manual for it. It will have the wiring and fuse information in it. You
might also try your local library.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 12th 05, 03:11 AM
High

got80s wrote:
> I recently purchased a used 2003 Accord. While driving down the highway
> last night the A/C stopped blowing cold air. I figured maybe the "freon"
> was low. I ran by my brother-in-laws and he checked the level of the freon
> and said it's fine. He said the compressor isn't kicking on. We can only
> assume that it is a blown fuse that controls it. However I can't figure
> out what fuse controls it, even after looking at the manual. Anyone just
> happen to know?

My daughter's 2000 Accord V6 had the same problem. The cause was a
defective relay in the fuse box under the hood. If I remember correctly,
there were 3 identical relays, one for the compressor, one for the a/c
condenser fan and one for the cooling fan. I switched the compressor
relay with one of the fan relays to trouble-shoot the problem, the
compressor started but the fan wouldn't, then drove my old bike ('77 750
Hondamatic) to the junkyard and pulled all three from a wrecked Accord
(no charge!)
This may or may not be your problem but if you decide to trouble-shoot
the problem this way make sure you identify the relays, read all of the
numbers on them to make sure they are identical. They may have changed
between 2000 and 2003. Also after you replace the relay or if you decide
to drive the car before you replace the defective relay make damn sure
both fans are working. (you may have left the defective one in one of
the fan slots by mistake, kinda like a shell game)
Old September 12th 05, 07:53 PM
got80s

Thanks for all the help. I am on my way to the shop this afternoon. The
dealer I bought it from is very helpful, considering my sister issues all
the loans for his cars.... I can assume it is the relay since that is the
second time I have heard that. I'll let you know what the shop says.

Old September 14th 05, 12:29 PM
got80s

looks like it was the coil in the compressor clutch. thankfully repaired by
the dealer. part was like 40 bucks..

Neon - rapidly blinking turn signal - diagnosis? Neon96 Dodge 2 August 21st 05 02:10 AM
Bone head of the day Harry K Driving 78 August 8th 05 03:22 AM
2003 Accord Radio Display Problem Mike Honda 41 July 13th 05 04:32 PM
2003 Honda accord Head unit display Beerman182 Honda 8 June 5th 05 11:46 AM
2003 Accord power lock problem Steve Driska Honda 0 September 26th 04 04:02 AM