Whirring.

Old September 9th 05, 11:01 PM
Matthew Allen

Default Whirring.

99' accord 4door with a whirring from the RH rear. Someone told me probably
a bearing. recently replace caliper and rotor on that side (well rotors and
pad all around) and sound has been around since. I'm thinking something in
the pad or between the pad and rotor. any other ideas. I really don't feel
like ordering a bearing if the consensus is that it might just be dirt or
something.

Old September 10th 05, 12:36 AM
Professor

Sounds like the pad is dragging back there...

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old September 10th 05, 03:08 AM
TeGGeR®

"Professor" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> Matthew Allen wrote:

>> 99' accord 4door

Your car is 99 feet long? Or did you mean '99?

>> with a whirring from the RH rear. Someone told me
>> probably a bearing. recently replace caliper and rotor on that side
>> (well rotors and pad all around) and sound has been around since.
>> I'm thinking something in the pad or between the pad and rotor.
>> any other ideas. I really don't feel like ordering a bearing
>> if the consensus is that it might just be dirt or something.

> Sounds like the pad is dragging back there...

Then it's not a "whirring" noise.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 12th 05, 01:12 PM

Took the wheel off, pads off, rotor off. spin the hub by hand - no play,
no noise. put the rotor and pads back on, and sure enough - there's a
slight warp in the rotor. ****es me off too, I just replaced them. Here
i thought Brembo was pretty good. Also, the inside pad isn't wearing
properly. it looks as if 2/3 of the pad are coming into contact with the
rotor.

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in news:Xns96CCE15C35AB7tegger@
207.14.113.17:

Old September 12th 05, 05:24 PM
TeGGeR®

m > wrote in
77.134:

> Took the wheel off, pads off, rotor off. spin the hub by hand - no
> play, no noise. put the rotor and pads back on, and sure enough -
> there's a slight warp in the rotor. ****es me off too, I just
> replaced them. Here i thought Brembo was pretty good.

Have you sanded off **ALL** the rust on the hub and the rotor's backside?
Are you **100% certain** you don't have a piece of grit between the rotor
and hub? Both the above will cause runout and will be mistaken for warped
rotors.

Also, you need to make 100% certain the pins are sliding freely and the
pads are floating unimpeded.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes1.html
(Takes a while to load. Pics are big)

Old September 12th 05, 09:10 PM

\ Here
> i thought Brembo was pretty good.

It sounds like it may not be the rotor's fault, a little drag can
generate a whole lot of heat.

On the other hand, I bought some Brembo rotors a year and a half ago
that made me think they could be counterfeit goods.

Old September 13th 05, 01:58 AM
Matthew Allen

oups.com...

Old September 13th 05, 01:59 AM
Matthew Allen

I cleaned the rotor, pad, checked the piston operation, and even cleaned up
the abs sensor. i can actually see a slight warp in the rotor. I'll
probably get them machined next week. Now of course, having had to replace
both rear calipers.....i didn't pay the $$ for the actual honda, but a fair
price for the high mid range. maybe those are messed too.