Sound like a fuel pump?

Old August 3rd 11, 07:33 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
muzician21

Default Sound like a fuel pump?

On Jul 27, 8:52*pm, "snow" > wrote:

> have you thought about dirty fuel or the filter in the tank ,at the pick up
> point

When I replaced the pump, the original factory pickup wasn't
particularly dirty. There was a small amount of crud in the mesh but
not bad for a 22 yo filter.

Old August 3rd 11, 07:42 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
muzician21

As a follow up, I replaced the pump with a unit from Autozone - yeah
yeah, I know "why are you using that Autozone Airtex junk??" etc. etc.
Had to have the car running, couldn't wait for NAPA or the dealer to
get one delivered. Will look for a deal on a better one online.

Going on a week, running good so far. One thing I noticed is the
pickup strainer on the original was this oval plastic cage with mesh,
the one with the Airtex is basically a flat bag, looks like a bulky
tea bag. Struck me that the design on the factory pump would seem to
allow for better flow but that could be wrong.

Of note, I asked a buddy who runs a well-regarded auto shop if he had
a brand he recommended, he says he uses Airtex right off the shelf
from Advance Auto Parts all the time, that they don't have problems
with them coming back. .shrug
Old August 3rd 11, 10:01 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 7/26/2011 4:44 PM, muzician21 wrote:
> 89 Toyota Cressida. Over the last month or so I've experienced an
> intermittent crank/no start that lasted a minute or so, then the car
> fired up with a bit of a sputter, would start and run like a clock
> until the next time maybe a week or two later. Tonight had to have it
> towed in, simply wouldn't start.
>
> The original fuel pump going south sound like a likely culprit? Or
> does something else jump to the front of the list of suspects?
>
> Thanks.

I had a Ford Taurus that had an intermittent fuel pump that would
randomly not turn on. This was easy to diagnose because when the key was
set to run, I could not hear the pump cycle on. I isolated the problem
to the relay and my short term solution was hit the relay box with a
rubber mallet. This worked fine, except that I had to open the hood to
hit the relay which was in a sealed unit that had most of the other high
amp relays. The long term solution was to get a used replacement from
eBay for under $20.
Old August 4th 11, 07:33 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
in2dadark

On Jul 27, 7:04*am, muzician21 > wrote:
> On Jul 27, 1:51*am, Hachiroku > wrote:
>
> > > Yes, cranks. Has 170k on the original pump.

> > Could be fuel filter. I don't know where it is on a Cressida, but on a
> > Supra (basically the same car) it's above the rear diff, and a PITA!

> Filter is under the intake. Kinda doubt it's a culprit, it was changed
> new within the last couple of years. I would think if it was clogged
> badly enough to prevent a start, it wouldn't then run fine for a
> couple of weeks.

1989 !!! Congrats that it's been running this long.
Old August 10th 11, 04:48 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
willameena

On Aug 2, 4:55*pm, m6onz5a > wrote:

> Almost sounds like a loose connection to the fuel pump.. >
> chas

Banging on a fuel tank will not move wires/change a connection.

Old August 11th 11, 04:40 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
ben91932

> > Other observation, I whacked on the fuel tank a few times in various
> > places this morning with a rubber mallet, the car started right up.

> Put a fuel pump in it and quit wasting or time.
>
> ***
> You are guaranteeing that diagnosis *?

You have a bad fuel pump.
It is worn out,
The peace of mind you will get is worth the $300 a shop will charge
you.
Is this the same Cressida fuel pump that has been mentioned sseveral
times before?
HTH
Ben