Rear suspension is off!

Old July 24th 05, 02:07 AM
TeGGeR®

jim beam > wrote in
:

> try not to chase if you can avoid it. if you jack the arm up into
> position and use the right bolt, the one with the rounded end, you
> should be able to get it in ok. the jacking bit is the key. one
> time, i even dropped the two big pivot bolts back off to make it
> easier to get a difficult top arm in. once located & loosely bolted,
> getting the pivot bolts back was fairly straight forward. do the one
> with the elongated slot first.

By the way, I tried a bolt from the other side and the same thing happened,
so I'm sure there's a burr in there somewhere.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 24th 05, 03:01 AM
TeGGeR®

Weird...

No matter where I lever the trailing arm before tightening the compensator
arm, the toe does not change. It's exactly the same as what I measured
before I took everything apart.

That position is what they return to naturally when I drive onto the
newspaper. (I put a thin section of newspaper under the tires so they could
pivot more easily.)

Old July 24th 05, 03:07 AM
jim beam

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Weird...
>
> No matter where I lever the trailing arm before tightening the compensator
> arm, the toe does not change. It's exactly the same as what I measured
> before I took everything apart.
>
> That position is what they return to naturally when I drive onto the
> newspaper. (I put a thin section of newspaper under the tires so they could
> pivot more easily.)

it does change. if you watch the tech in the alignment shop, the gauges
show it changing as they make their adjustments. but they're real
small, and as you'll find out driving to & from the alignment shop, they
make an interesting difference.

Old July 24th 05, 03:19 AM
TeGGeR®

jim beam > wrote in
:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>> Weird...
>>
>> No matter where I lever the trailing arm before tightening the
>> compensator arm, the toe does not change. It's exactly the same as
>> what I measured before I took everything apart.
>>
>> That position is what they return to naturally when I drive onto the
>> newspaper. (I put a thin section of newspaper under the tires so they
>> could pivot more easily.)
>>

> it does change. if you watch the tech in the alignment shop, the
> gauges show it changing as they make their adjustments. but they're
> real small, and as you'll find out driving to & from the alignment
> shop, they make an interesting difference.

I'll bet.

A guy I used to work with lowered his Chev S10. He said the entire way to
the alignment shop the tires squealed like a banshee. Gotta phone the
alignment people Monday.

It's going to be interesting trying to find a metric tap. NOBODY has those
last time I checked except the specialty industrial suppply places. I
notice all the bolts are 10x1.25mm. What's the closest Imperial tap size to
that?

Old July 24th 05, 03:22 AM
TeGGeR®

jim beam > wrote in
:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>> Weird...
>>
>> No matter where I lever the trailing arm before tightening the
>> compensator arm, the toe does not change. It's exactly the same as
>> what I measured before I took everything apart.
>>
>> That position is what they return to naturally when I drive onto the
>> newspaper. (I put a thin section of newspaper under the tires so they
>> could pivot more easily.)
>>

> it does change. if you watch the tech in the alignment shop, the
> gauges show it changing as they make their adjustments. but they're
> real small, and as you'll find out driving to & from the alignment
> shop, they make an interesting difference.

D'oh!

I just realized my mistake!!!!!

I'm taking the measurements at the BACK of the tire. The reason was that I
couldn't find a good datum point at the front!!

Damn!

Now there's NO WAY I'm going to get the alignment even /close/ myself.

Old July 24th 05, 03:55 AM
jim beam

TeGGeR® wrote:
> jim beam > wrote in
> :
>

>>TeGGeR® wrote:
>>
>>>Weird...
>>>
>>>No matter where I lever the trailing arm before tightening the
>>>compensator arm, the toe does not change. It's exactly the same as
>>>what I measured before I took everything apart.
>>>
>>>That position is what they return to naturally when I drive onto the
>>>newspaper. (I put a thin section of newspaper under the tires so they
>>>could pivot more easily.)
>>>

>>it does change. if you watch the tech in the alignment shop, the
>>gauges show it changing as they make their adjustments. but they're
>>real small, and as you'll find out driving to & from the alignment
>>shop, they make an interesting difference.
>>

> I'll bet.
>
> A guy I used to work with lowered his Chev S10. He said the entire way to
> the alignment shop the tires squealed like a banshee. Gotta phone the
> alignment people Monday.
>
> It's going to be interesting trying to find a metric tap. NOBODY has those
> last time I checked except the specialty industrial suppply places. I
> notice all the bolts are 10x1.25mm. What's the closest Imperial tap size to
> that?

mcmaster.com has M10 x 1.25