buckled tailgate

Old December 22nd 03, 08:35 AM
Fletcher

Default buckled tailgate

See if you can get some pictures posted of the damage.

"Mr Roper" > wrote in message
> Made a ramp for my snowmobile to get into my shortbox Tacoma. Ramp is in 3
> sections, 2 for skiis, 1 in middle for track. The middle section gave way
> even though I had it secured. Not sure if the section itself buckled the
> gate or the weight of the sled coming down on gate. I'm leaning towards

the
> ramp buckling the gate. Its not serious, the gate closes fine, not easily
> noticeable. But nonetheless, it has been done.
>
> Is something like this fixable? Should the tailgate be able to take the
> weight of a sled? I got it in after with the aid of a bank, the track

rests

Old December 22nd 03, 10:45 PM
Will Honea

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:52:33 UTC "Mr Roper" >
wrote:

> Made a ramp for my snowmobile to get into my shortbox Tacoma. Ramp is in 3
> sections, 2 for skiis, 1 in middle for track. The middle section gave way
> even though I had it secured. Not sure if the section itself buckled the
> gate or the weight of the sled coming down on gate. I'm leaning towards the
> ramp buckling the gate. Its not serious, the gate closes fine, not easily
> noticeable. But nonetheless, it has been done.
>
> Is something like this fixable? Should the tailgate be able to take the
> weight of a sled? I got it in after with the aid of a bank, the track rests
> on a stick of wood resting between gate and bed. No weight on gate.

Look at the hinges and the cables that hold the tail gate. If they
are anything like mine, I wouldn't trust them for more than a couple
hundred pounds at most. I load a fairly large garden tractor and my
solution was to remove the tail gate (mine just lifts off the hinges -
I'm not sure how the Taco is rigged). I have a step bumper so I took
a couple of lengths of 2x4, drilled a large hole for the trailer ball
to serve as a locator and pin, then put the ramps on that. The small
setup hassle is more than made up for by the security. That still
leaves room to ding the bed pretty good, but the tail gate is no
longer an issue.

After several fights with loading, I gave up and bought a small
trailer - problem solved once and for all.

--
Will Honea >
Old December 22nd 03, 10:45 PM
Will Honea

Old December 23rd 03, 06:06 AM
Will Honea

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 01:21:32 UTC "Mr Roper" >
wrote:

> Trailer not in budget yet, just got the sled!
>
> Plus its easier going around without a trailer behind you.
>
> I haven't had a chance to take a pic yet, will try tomorrow.
>
> But that bumper idea is pretty good. I'l going to explore that one for sure.

One thing I didn't mention about using the wooden platform - I also
drilled holes so that I could drop a bolt thru the plate on the ramp
into the boards - ever have a ramp slip off while you're about half
way up on a cycle??? Ouch!

--
Will Honea >
Old December 23rd 03, 06:06 AM
Will Honea

Old December 26th 03, 07:41 PM
Walker

You should never put weight on the tailgate but drop it down and let the bed
take all of the weight of the ramp. If the tailgate won't drop then remove
it when you use the ramp. The same holds true when transporting the
snowmobile. Tie it down and don't expect the tailgate to hold in the case of
weight shift. It simply wasn't designed for that purpose.

Bob Walker

Old December 26th 03, 07:41 PM
Walker

Old December 26th 03, 08:44 PM
The Ancient One

"Walker" > wrote in message
> You should never put weight on the tailgate but drop it down and let the

bed
> take all of the weight of the ramp. If the tailgate won't drop then remove
> it when you use the ramp. The same holds true when transporting the
> snowmobile. Tie it down and don't expect the tailgate to hold in the case

of
> weight shift. It simply wasn't designed for that purpose.
>
> Bob Walker

I think it's only purpose is to look good, it sure isn't built strong enough
to do anything.

Old December 26th 03, 08:44 PM
The Ancient One