2000 Accord rythmic thumping source found

Old September 21st 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

Default 2000 Accord rythmic thumping source found

Apparently for some reason, after 7 years and 130K miles, the left front
brake caliper and wheel decided to make contact. The top outermost points on
the caliper are making contact with the wheel but not evenly all around.
This happens with either of two wheels mounted on the left front.

My wife clearly slammed into a pothole hard enough to dent the left rear rim
and ruin the tire. Could this same, or other pothole, have done some damage
to the front to cause this? If so, what do I look for? There's nothing
obvious to my untrained eyes.

Can I safely run the car with spacers on the lug nuts to move the wheel
outward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch?

--
Pull my chain to reply.

Old September 22nd 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Nasty" > wrote in
:

> Apparently for some reason, after 7 years and 130K miles, the left
> front brake caliper and wheel decided to make contact. The top
> outermost points on the caliper are making contact with the wheel but
> not evenly all around. This happens with either of two wheels mounted
> on the left front.

Then both wheels are bent. And badly. Don't you feel it in the steering
wheel while on the move?

> My wife clearly slammed into a pothole hard enough to dent the left
> rear rim and ruin the tire. Could this same, or other pothole, have
> done some damage to the front to cause this?

Yes.

> If so, what do I look
> for? There's nothing obvious to my untrained eyes.
>
> Can I safely run the car with spacers on the lug nuts to move the
> wheel outward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch?

Sure, until the excess offset wrecks the wheel bearings. What you
propose is called a "Band-Aid fix", AKA "cover-up".

You have something very, very wrong here. You do not fix this sort of
thing by applying spacers. That is a very *bad* thing.

You need to have a professional check out your ride. Something is badly
out of kilter here. I think you have either two damaged wheels or
(more likely) one very bent hub. It's a wonder your wheel bearings
aren't howling.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 22nd 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "Nasty" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Apparently for some reason, after 7 years and 130K miles, the left
>> front brake caliper and wheel decided to make contact. The top
>> outermost points on the caliper are making contact with the wheel but
>> not evenly all around. This happens with either of two wheels mounted
>> on the left front.

> Then both wheels are bent. And badly. Don't you feel it in the steering
> wheel while on the move?

Sometimes I think I do and other times I don't. I blamed the road surface a
lot.

>> My wife clearly slammed into a pothole hard enough to dent the left
>> rear rim and ruin the tire. Could this same, or other pothole, have
>> done some damage to the front to cause this?

> Yes.
>

>> If so, what do I look
>> for? There's nothing obvious to my untrained eyes.
>>
>> Can I safely run the car with spacers on the lug nuts to move the
>> wheel outward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch?
>>

> Sure, until the excess offset wrecks the wheel bearings. What you
> propose is called a "Band-Aid fix", AKA "cover-up".

You know, when you sugar coat your reply I'm never sure what you really
mean...<going now to remove the spacers witha real sheepish look on my face>

> You have something very, very wrong here. You do not fix this sort of
> thing by applying spacers. That is a very *bad* thing.

I think your point is beginning to clear up to me.

> You need to have a professional check out your ride. Something is badly
> out of kilter here. I think you have either two damaged wheels or
> (more likely) one very bent hub. It's a wonder your wheel bearings
> aren't howling.

Well, ahm, actually, to tell the truth there is this wee noise that I
thought was coming from inboard of the hubs. The transaxle fluid is good.

I reckon I'd better get on down to the pro straight away.

Thanks TeGGeR.

Old September 22nd 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
"Nasty" > wrote:

> Apparently for some reason, after 7 years and 130K miles, the left front
> brake caliper and wheel decided to make contact. The top outermost points on
> the caliper are making contact with the wheel but not evenly all around.
> This happens with either of two wheels mounted on the left front.
>
> My wife clearly slammed into a pothole hard enough to dent the left rear rim
> and ruin the tire. Could this same, or other pothole, have done some damage
> to the front to cause this? If so, what do I look for? There's nothing
> obvious to my untrained eyes.
>
> Can I safely run the car with spacers on the lug nuts to move the wheel
> outward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch?

It sounds like the wheel bearing or shaft is punched in. You might want
to fix that before the it seizes up and throws you into a skid.
Old September 22nd 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"Kevin McMurtrie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nasty" > wrote:
>
>> Apparently for some reason, after 7 years and 130K miles, the left front
>> brake caliper and wheel decided to make contact. The top outermost points
>> on
>> the caliper are making contact with the wheel but not evenly all around.
>> This happens with either of two wheels mounted on the left front.
>>
>> My wife clearly slammed into a pothole hard enough to dent the left rear
>> rim
>> and ruin the tire. Could this same, or other pothole, have done some
>> damage
>> to the front to cause this? If so, what do I look for? There's nothing
>> obvious to my untrained eyes.
>>
>> Can I safely run the car with spacers on the lug nuts to move the wheel
>> outward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch?

> It sounds like the wheel bearing or shaft is punched in. You might want
> to fix that before the it seizes up and throws you into a skid.

What does "punched in" mean?

Base on TeGGeR's subtle suggestion the car is grounded except maybe for a
short drive to the shop.

Thanks.

Old September 25th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
"Nasty" > wrote:

> "Kevin McMurtrie" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Nasty" > wrote:
> >
> >> Apparently for some reason, after 7 years and 130K miles, the left front
> >> brake caliper and wheel decided to make contact. The top outermost points
> >> on
> >> the caliper are making contact with the wheel but not evenly all around.
> >> This happens with either of two wheels mounted on the left front.
> >>
> >> My wife clearly slammed into a pothole hard enough to dent the left rear
> >> rim
> >> and ruin the tire. Could this same, or other pothole, have done some
> >> damage
> >> to the front to cause this? If so, what do I look for? There's nothing
> >> obvious to my untrained eyes.
> >>
> >> Can I safely run the car with spacers on the lug nuts to move the wheel
> >> outward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch?

> > It sounds like the wheel bearing or shaft is punched in. You might want
> > to fix that before the it seizes up and throws you into a skid.

> What does "punched in" mean?

As in, the inner bearing ring has been smashed part-way through the
outer bearing ring from a strong impact. Or maybe the shaft is pounded
through the bearing. Something's broken. The parts won't fit that way
without breaking first.

Old September 25th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"Kevin McMurtrie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nasty" > wrote:
>
>> "Kevin McMurtrie" > wrote in message

>> > It sounds like the wheel bearing or shaft is punched in. You might
>> > want
>> > to fix that before the it seizes up and throws you into a skid.

>> What does "punched in" mean?

> As in, the inner bearing ring has been smashed part-way through the
> outer bearing ring from a strong impact. Or maybe the shaft is pounded
> through the bearing. Something's broken. The parts won't fit that way
> without breaking first.

Thanks.

Old September 30th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "Nasty" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Apparently for some reason, after 7 years and 130K miles, the left
>> front brake caliper and wheel decided to make contact. The top
>> outermost points on the caliper are making contact with the wheel but
>> not evenly all around. This happens with either of two wheels mounted
>> on the left front.

> Then both wheels are bent. And badly. Don't you feel it in the steering
> wheel while on the move?
>

>> My wife clearly slammed into a pothole hard enough to dent the left
>> rear rim and ruin the tire. Could this same, or other pothole, have
>> done some damage to the front to cause this?

> Yes.
>

>> If so, what do I look
>> for? There's nothing obvious to my untrained eyes.
>>
>> Can I safely run the car with spacers on the lug nuts to move the
>> wheel outward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch?
>>

> Sure, until the excess offset wrecks the wheel bearings. What you
> propose is called a "Band-Aid fix", AKA "cover-up".
>
> You have something very, very wrong here. You do not fix this sort of
> thing by applying spacers. That is a very *bad* thing.
>
> You need to have a professional check out your ride. Something is badly
> out of kilter here. I think you have either two damaged wheels or
> (more likely) one very bent hub. It's a wonder your wheel bearings
> aren't howling.

Bottom line ( I hope) is the left front wheel bearing was shot. After R&Ring
it all is quiet.

Thanks for all the help and warnings. I do appreciate it.